PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do so many PatsFans rule out us going with 2 QBs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really have a tough time completely discounting O'Connell's experience actually playing in college over Cassell's experience holding a clip board in college and the pros.
??? Cassel has three full quarters of NFL experience against Miami's first string defense. O'Connell has none.

If you are trying to say that because a guy did well in college he will do well in hte pros, start with Ryan Leaf and Rick Mirer and Heath Shuler and look at half the QBs drafted high in hte NFL.

And they came from top football colleges. O'Connell didn't.

I like O'Connell, but to compare his NFl experience with Cassel's is ludicrous.

ANY NFL QB who has held a clipboard for a year has more NFL "experience" than O'Connell. You think they are nothing out there? They are watching defenses, seeing the presnap look, and watching what happens afterward. Watching how NFL QBs go through their reads. Sitting in on NFL team plannng meetings. Do not discount a year of sitting for a rookie QB. It is agruably the best way to prepare them for the NFL.

Peyton Manning was 3-13 in his first season. He's a top QB, but it's tough to be a rook QB in hte NFL unless you are on a team with an overpowering runnng game like teh Steelers.

:confused:

Which #1 defense did he destroy?

Cassell? None that I'm aware of. He looked pretty bad out there on a number of occasions - I don't want to completely disparage the guy - there were a ton of dropped passes.

But overall his play wasn't very impressive. This may well be the reason why many people expect Cassell to be cut and O'Connell to make the team.

??? Cassel has three full quarters of NFL experience against Miami's first string defense. O'Connell has none.

If you are trying to say that because a guy did well in college he will do well in hte pros, start with Ryan Leaf and Rick Mirer and Heath Shuler and look at half the QBs drafted high in hte NFL.

And they came from top football colleges. O'Connell didn't.

I like O'Connell, but to compare his NFl experience with Cassel's is ludicrous.

ANY NFL QB who has held a clipboard for a year has more NFL "experience" than O'Connell. You think they are nothing out there? They are watching defenses, seeing the presnap look, and watching what happens afterward. Watching how NFL QBs go through their reads. Sitting in on NFL team plannng meetings. Do not discount a year of sitting for a rookie QB. It is agruably the best way to prepare them for the NFL.

Peyton Manning was 3-13 in his first season. He's a top QB, but it's tough to be a rook QB in hte NFL unless you are on a team with an overpowering runnng game like teh Steelers.

I guess others DO consider holding a clip board "experience"

To restate, I don't think there's any substitute for real playing time against real competition in real game situations... whether that's college or the pros, I'm having a tough time figuring out what experience Cassell has, in college or in the NFL, playing QB with the game on the line.

Of course we're off on a tangent here - Belichick felt Cassell's lack of experience in 2006 was enough to go into the season with just one backup QB.

It seems clear that most people don't think he would do that with Guttierez, let alone O'Connell, who's four years of starting in college might be deemed to count for something.

I'm not quite sure if the consensus is that Belichick took a foolhardy risk and has learned his lesson, but I think its possible he'd consider a similar move today.

Frankly, I think the only thing that might stop him from doing that is the knowledge that O'Connell stands no chance of making the practice squad as a third round choice - and therefore he's going to go with three.

I'll be shocked if he carries four, but the consensus in this thread is that Cassell is the experienced QB who won't be cut.

Last edited:
I guess others DO consider holding a clip board "experience"

It is a learning experience. That is how guys like Carson Palmer and others learn how to play QB in hte NFL. WHen possible, it is the best plan for a rookie QB to sit out a year befoer starting. Why? Because he learns. You may not give it any value, but NFL head coaches do.

To restate, I don't think there's any substitute for real playing time against real competition in real game situations... Well, the BEST way IS to play, but that doesn't mean it is the only way to improve. Surely you must believe that going to meetings all year, standing on sidelines watching what you starting QB does in every situation, emulating the mechanics of other QBs and learning how they play while being the scout QB, surely you don't think that doing all this is no better than not doing anything. Of course a year in the system is a very good thing.

whether that's college or the pros, I'm having a tough time figuring out what experience Cassell has, in college or in the NFL, playing QB with the game on the line.

You're letting your personal dislike for Cassel blind you to the fact that EVERY QB who takes the field for the first time takes the field for the first time. Don't get so hung up on the thought that unless you are a successful starter you cannot play football. All successful starters palyed their first game at one time.
Of course we're off on a tangent here - Belichick felt Cassell's lack of experience in 2006 was enough to go into the season with just one backup QB. NO, Belichick felt that Cassel's EXPERIENCE AND ABILITY, not his lack of it, was enough to go into the season with just one backup. Belichick and you saw and see Cassel differently, that's all.

It seems clear that most people don't think he would do that with Guttierez, let alone O'Connell, who's four years of starting in college might be deemed to count for something. What most people think is irrleevant.

I'm not quite sure if the consensus is that Belichick took a foolhardy risk and has learned his lesson, but I think its possible he'd consider a similar move today. What most people think is irrleevant.

Frankly, I think the only thing that might stop him from doing that is the knowledge that O'Connell stands no chance of making the practice squad as a third round choice - and therefore he's going to go with three.

I'll be shocked if he carries four, but the consensus in this thread is that Cassell is the experienced QB who won't be cut. If BB signs a vet, Cassel will be cut.

10 characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe