PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's Boston best GM now??

Status
Not open for further replies.
you just don't have a clue. you cant just pass judgment on a trade by the players you get all the time. not in the nba you cant. ainge made some of his trades as a way to dump salary to free the team up so they could be more active going after players and stockpile some picks. its not as simple as you get this player in return for that player. then sit back and say wow the players we got aren't as good as we gave up. its not baseball. he had to gut the team and make trades to free the team from salary first before he could build the team up again. that's why its much harder to rebuild a nba franchise. he is the GM of the year for a reason .do they just give that award to gms that suck? saying the garnett deal fell in his lap is laughable on its face

Please don't start with this nonsense. From Raef and his knee to Wally and his legs (knee, ankle) and Theo and his back, Ainge has made horrible trade after horrible trade. He also essentially traded away the #7 pick (which turned into Brandon Roy due to the Minnesota/Portland maneuvering) for Sebastian Telfair.

If you think that sucking for years and making bad trade after bad trade was part of Ainge's grand plan, you go with that fantasy. Just don't jump on other people who aren't as naive and sycophantic as you are.

I guess the question of "Who's Boston's best GM now??" comes down to the last word - now. If you are looking at "now" as in this year, and this year only, then Danny Ainge gets the vote. If it is based on the current GM's based on their full body of work from the day they started until today, then the Pats' front office wins in a landslide. If it is based on a collective thank you for what they accomplished, then Theo Epstein and the Red Sox management gets the nod for getting the monkey off our back and winning a World Series.

you miss the point. for years the Celtics were never in a position to land a Garnette or any big time player via free agency or a trade because they had no cap room and they had no young players like al Jefferson to interest a team. he made the moves he made to put the team into a position to land a big time player that's the point. that player turned out to be a Garnette. did he plan for years to land Garnette ? no i never said he did. I'm sure he had interest in several players in the event they became available. without dumping huge contracts [not easy to do players have guaranteed money in the NBA unlike the NFL]and doing a excellent job drafting the Garnette deal never gets done. nor does the ray Allen deal.

One question. If the Celts are "lucky" enough to get the #1 pick in the lottery last year what was Ainge planning on doing with the pick?

Last edited:
Please don't start with this nonsense. From Raef and his knee to Wally and his legs (knee, ankle) and Theo and his back, Ainge has made horrible trade after horrible trade. He also essentially traded away the #7 pick (which turned into Brandon Roy due to the Minnesota/Portland maneuvering) for Sebastian Telfair.

If you think that sucking for years and making bad trade after bad trade was part of Ainge's grand plan, you go with that fantasy. Just don't jump on other people who aren't as naive and sycophantic as you are.

And I don't think any of this is necessarilly damns Ainge as a bad GM in my opinion - it just shows that in the NBA, given the watered down talent and what seems to be a general tendency for all GMs and nearly all players to be swapped around until they find the right fit, that there's a lot of bad trades that are made.

Ainge made as many bad trades as he made good trades - he got lucky that his best ones were good enough to make his team a contender, and he was lucky (maybe talented) enough to draft good players in many drafts so that he had some tradeable commodities.

So is Ainge a great GM or awful GM? If you ask me he's probably average to above avarage - the "above" only because he was willing to try and fail, in the hopes of putting together a championship team.

But to assert that luck didn't play a major role? I don't think even Ainge would kid himself about that.

And I don't think any of this is necessarilly damns Ainge as a bad GM in my opinion - it just shows that in the NBA, given the watered down talent and what seems to be a general tendency for all GMs and nearly all players to be swapped around until they find the right fit, that there's a lot of bad trades that are made.

Ainge made as many bad trades as he made good trades - he got lucky that his best ones were good enough to make his team a contender, and he was lucky (maybe talented) enough to draft good players in many drafts so that he had some tradeable commodities.

So is Ainge a great GM or awful GM? If you ask me he's probably average to above avarage - the "above" only because he was willing to try and fail, in the hopes of putting together a championship team.

But to assert that luck didn't play a major role? I don't think even Ainge would kid himself about that.
luck always plays a role with every gm and every team that wins a title. the garnet deal wasnt luck. they didnt get the first pick and they went after garnett knowing he might be available. how is that luck. garnet said no so danny traded for ray allen and went back to minnesota to try again. that's not luck .

Sebastian tel fair part of the garnett deal last time i checked. wally was part of the ray allen trade. wow that deal sucked.danny picked al Jefferson rajon rondo [let me guess he was lucky] again your evaluating nba trades like they were baseball trades. naive and sycophantic? lmao .hes the gm of the year and his team is in the finals.thats the end result of what Danny has done. ya he sucks and so does doc :rolleyes::rolleyes:lol . let me guess he was lucky and if it didn't work out he sucks. so basically no matter what he does in your expert eyes lmao he blows lol .your a typical weei listener .oh and by the way ray Allen's contract a top level contract runs out the same time as lebron James. lucky again? I'm sure Danny didn't put any thought into that either. when ray goes the Celts have a top level contract to offer lebron or somebody else. its not like football there will be no bidding war. if the cavs cap situation is ****ed up then they cant match and keep him. you will never admit your wrong about Danny because your far to concerned on how you might look on a message board.

Last edited:
One question. If the Celts are "lucky" enough to get the #1 pick in the lottery last year what was Ainge planning on doing with the pick?
he didnt get the pick so he went to plan B. How is that luck.

luck always plays a role with every gm and every team that wins a title. the garnet deal wasnt luck. they didnt get the first pick and they went after garnett knowing he might be available. how is that luck. garnet said no so danny traded for ray allen and went back to minnesota to try again. that's not luck .

I don't understand why people say Ainge is terrible with trades and when he does great, it becomes luck? Do these same people understand what a good and potentially great player Rhondo is, or was that luck (reminder: he's a point guard drafted at #21).
I'm not saying Ainge is better as a GM then the other two contestants, as they are extremely talented, just give the guy his due.

I don't understand why people say Ainge is terrible with trades and when he does great, it becomes luck? Do these same people understand what a good and potentially great player Rhondo is, or was that luck (reminder: he's a point guard drafted at #21).
I'm not saying Ainge is better as a GM then the other two contestants, as they are extremely talented, just give the guy his due.
exactly. :rocker: saying danny ainge is a lousy GM is the same as some ass saying the patriots SBs are tainted.

Last edited:

Ainge was a lousy GM who drove his team into the ground. Considering where they were to start with, that's a terrible GM record.

Now, on the other hand, and oddly enough, this year, he has been a huge beneficiary of his own incompetence. Telfair over Roy made last year's team suck even more than they might have, and put the team in the position to get Oden. Then, bad luck struck and the team didn't get the #1 or 2 pick. However, it was the perfect year for terrible luck of that sort to strike, because the Sonics were looking to ditch Allen and rebuild, and Garnett was finally 100% fed up in Minnesota and willing to move on.

Well, before praising Ainge, we need to realize that Garnett wasn't coming to Boston. He turned the team down. Again, bad 'luck'. And, again, that bad 'luck' turned into good luck, when Seattle took a deal to allow them to completely overhaul their team and make the Sonics team Durant's from day one.

Suddenly, Garnett was willing to go to Boston because there would be 3 all-star talents instead of just 2, and Minnesota was willing to take a lesser package from Boston than had reportedly been offered by other teams. Ainge had managed to take his incompetent running of the franchise and turn it into a positive. Heck, he's 4 wins away from turning it into a title, so cheers to him. Congratulations are due to him because he's been able to shine up the turd that had been his GM tenure, but that doesn't mean he's done a great job overall. Let's just hope that he's learned to be a better GM and will do a better job going forward, because the age of the '3' is going to require that he make some very shrewd moves if he's going to keep that team up at the top.

Last edited:
Who are these guys Allan, Garnette and Garnet? Are they the foundation for the C's future or the team's law firm?

Did he not come up with the idea of getting Allen? Did he not work it out? Look you keep screaming luck, luck is a part of any good picks. The Patriots didn't plan on drafting Brady either, he fell to their laps in round 6. To be a good front office you always need to have that lucky break that gets you on the map. Lets not act like Piloli/Bill knew all along. I realize they scouted him but being selected in the 6th shows you how they valued him.

Ainge's lottery plan ****ed up. He rebounded, got Ray Allen than used that to get Garnett. Not only did he cover his **** up that year he has actually added good talent. He drafted Jefferson, Rondo, Powe, Baby. He has brought in FAs that have contributed (Posey, Brown, House)

Every GM has good and bad moves. They all have to have some kind of luck too. I understand not putting Ainge in Beoli or Theo's level, but the guy isn't an idiot.

Agreed, there so many less players in basketball. Gasol to the Lakers, they win the conference. If the Cavs had gotten Gasol to go with James they likely win their conference. If you have a stud, you're one more stud and role players from having a good chance to win it all - and there's lots of salary dump situations available in basketball.

yeah, no doubt about about it... it's BB/SP.

Your leaving out the part of that which is clearly luck.

Its the part where Minnesota went to half a dozen teams Garnett preferred more than Boston and the deals didn't get done.

Ainge had no control over things like the Suns ultimately deciding they did not want to trade Amare Stoudemire for Garnett. He had no control over McHale's total incompetence which had him not high on Andrew Bynum.

Ainge certainly took advantage of the luck which he deserves credit for but luck played a big part in the way it happenned.

Last edited:
Misty water colored memories of the way we were........... I guess some people have selective memories. When the Celtics lost out in the draft lottery there was a huge response of 'we are f'...ed. Then, Ainge traded for Allan, and the crowd was ready to jump off the Prudential. Who in the right mind would trade for this washed-up vet.
Then Ainge pulled the trigger on the Garnett trade and EVERYBODY was in shock. But wait, go back to the initial posts in the Celtics forum after that trade and you will read how the Celtics will not be that good, "they'll just put people in the seats". Now, the Celtics are 4 games from clinching the World Championship and Ainge is either just lucky or a terrible GM.

I would have to say Theo. A 162 game season is a heck of a lot longer than a 16 game season. For what Theo has done in the short time he has been in the Red Sox organization is simply amazing. Not to take anything away from what Pioli and Belichick have done, I just lean more on the side of Theo.

The gap is getting closer, but it's still Pioli.

I would say Theo if only because baseball continues to allow rich clubs to "horde" the best talent. Football and basketball have their salary caps and thus are designed (by intent if not in practice) to be harder to maintain a dynasty. Which makes the job that BB/Pioli has done all the more remarkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back