PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's Boston best GM now??

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Celts made out great in the Minny trade, but then look what Minny ended up with as well:

Al Jefferson, young, 21 points & many rebounds per game
#1 pick this year (Minny's original pick): OJ Mayo or Michael Beasley
#1 next season (likely in the 24-30 range)
2nd rounder this year first pick of the 2nd (from the G. Green/Houston trade)

A bunch of solid bench type players:
Ricky Gomes, 13 points a game
Sebastian Telfair, 9 points a game
Kirk Snyder, nice player

And, they can make a splash in FA this year with the Theo Ratliff money

That's not a bad base at all, and if Mayo/Beasley become the stars people think they can be, you will have a much better team than the Celtics will field in 2 years out. Is the Mayo/Beasley thing a big if?? I'd say it's a 40% shot that they end up playing as advertised, and if they do, then a Jefferson/Mayo one-two punch will be more than enough compensation for letting go of an aging Garnett, not to mention extras such as 2 more draft choices, Gomes, Telfair, Snyder, Ratliff FA.

Minny did get a solid deal from the C's. The pick Minny got back though, was lottery protected through it's life pretty much. The Celtics weren't going to get the 3rd pick in the draft if they kept it. There were more protections on that pick (which came in the Davis for Wally deal), than there are in a jumbo box of Trojans at Costco. still though, the Minny deal was a good one for the Wolves. They got the best player available to them in all the offers they recieved. LAL were never going to give up Bynum, and the Bulls refused to include Deng. In the NBA, you win with talented players. Therefore, when you make a deal, you always want to get back a dollar bill, as opposed to 4 quarters. Al Jefferson was the closest thing to a dollar bill that Minny was ever going to get. Think of the trades of recent superstars. Gasol got Memphis nothing, and Iverson got Philly Andre Miller. Jason Kidd got Devin Harris. Al Jefferson is a superior player to all of them.

Anyhow, this city is ripe with very good front offices. Even the Bruins at least seem headed in the right direction.

Our GM. This is the first thing right that the Celtics GM does. And the Bruins, I dont know.

he didnt get the pick so he went to plan B. How is that luck.

And does Ainge still rank as the best GM in town if he implemented his plan A to draft Greg Oden?

i.e. Are they the Eastern Conference Champions without Garnett and Allen - and with Oden?

Of course the answer is no.

And does Ainge still rank as the best GM in town if he implemented his plan A to draft Greg Oden?

i.e. Are they the Eastern Conference Champions without Garnett and Allen - and with Oden?

Of course the answer is no.
yes but he didnt get the number 1 pick did he? and they are eastern confrence champs arent they?

Last edited:
yes but he didnt get the number 1 pick did he? and they are eastern confrence champs arent they?

So right now they are two games better than Chris Wallace had them a few years back aren't they?

How does that put Ainge anywhere near the ballpark of guys like Pioli and Epstein who have prolonged sustained success with multiple titles on their resumes?

Last edited:
So right now they are two games better than Chris Wallace had them a few years back aren't they?

How does that put Ainge anywhere near the ballpark of guys like Pioli and Epstein who have prolonged sustained success with multiple titles on their resumes?

Please tell me your not comparing this current Celtic team to the one under Wallace.

Please tell me your not comparing this current Celtic team to the one under Wallace.

Only in the sense that compared to Pioli's teams and Epsteins teams one accomplished nothing and the other hasn't accomplished anything either. Using a trip to the NBA Finals to put Ainge in the league of those 2 after a track record of futility is ridiculous. There are plenty of mediocre GMs with a trip to the NBA Finals on their resume.

Last edited:
Only in the sense that compared to Pioli's teams and Epsteins teams one accomplished nothing and the other hasn't accomplished anything either. Using a trip to the NBA Finals to put Ainge in the league of those 2 after a track record of futility is ridiculous. There are plenty of mediocre GMs with a trip to the NBA Finals on their resume.

I agree, Aigne gets credit for making the Cletics good again but is not even close to Pats and Sox. You need atleast 1 NBA Championship and a return to the final to even be in consideration with 2 World Series and 3.5 super bowls (MAKE THE DAMN INTERCEPTION ASANTE!!!!)

Ergo you admit, if the ping pong balls bounce a different way, the "best GM" in New England doesn't have his team in the NBA finals, and wouldn't be viewed as a contender for the "best GM" in New England.

I'm not saying Ainge deserves 0 credit - I'm just giving credit where credit is due - to the ping pong balls.

I'm not saying Ainge deserves 0 credit - I'm just giving credit where credit is due - to the ping pong balls.
thats some messed up logic you got there lmao. put the six pack down:D. only on a message board can you read such crap. well thats not true there is espn.

Last edited:
There is no doubt. It is still the Pats. Danny Ainge hasn't won a damn thing yet as a GM. Are we are annointing him based on a trip to the finals? Pats, Sox, Celts in that order. Ya gotta win the big games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
Back