PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's better at picking groceries??

sg14

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
This question is purely about picking up players via the draft.

BB has been here long enough, and I still believe Parcells is the better evaluator of draft talent.

BB has not come even close to matching the the 1995 Parcells draft, Ty Law, Ted Johnson, Curtis Martin, Dave Wohlabaugh.

Discuss,,

This question is purely about picking up players via the draft.

BB has been here long enough, and I still believe Parcells is the better evaluator of draft talent.

BB has not come even close to matching the the 1995 Parcells draft, Ty Law, Ted Johnson, Curtis Martin, Dave Wohlabaugh.

Discuss,,

Ah, argument fodder! Bless you, it was getting awfully quiet around here. :D

So, you skip over Parcells' abysmal 1993 & 1994 drafts where practically the only worthwhile players were taken at the very top of the first round, and judge him solely on 1995? Ironically, the only other good Pats draft of the Parcells era was 1996...the "groceries" draft where he complained that Kraft controlled the warroom and he didn't make the picks.

Personally, I'd argue that BB's 2003 with Warren/Wilson/Samuel/Koppen stands up pretty well to 1995, and it was the 3rd straight year that BB collected multiple strong starters in the draft. The last few draft classes have unquestionably been less consistent, but have also netted more vet talent in trade.

Parcells is a best when it comes to the draft. Among thoes you mentioned ill throw another name out their, DeMarcus ware. Arguably the best Defensive player in the NFL today was drafted by Parcells. I think what makes Parcells so good is that he is sucsessfull almost everywhere he goes. BB holds his own as well. ;)

For fans of the eternal BB vs. BP debate, one great storyline to follow over the coming years will be the development of Vontae Davis vs. Darius Butler.

Or Pat White vs Edelman:D

For fans of the eternal BB vs. BP debate, one great storyline to follow over the coming years will be the development of Vontae Davis vs. Darius Butler.

sure - if you'll throw in Chung vs. Stephen Hodge!

Oh you're on,, I like Hodge

And soon the resident draft expert will speak,,,1, 2, 3,,,

And soon the resident draft expert will speak,,,1, 2, 3,,,

Hey, why didn't anybody tell me we had a resident draft expert? You mean somebody could have warned me they'd pick George Bussey? :mad:

Or Pat White vs Edelman:D

I hope to hell a #2nd round pick makes out better than a #7

round pick. The reason Kraft took away the shopping privileges

from Parcells was because he gave outrageous contracts to

former Giant players.

Overall, I would say Parcells. He rebuilt the Patriots extremely fast, he rebuilt the Jets extremely fast and rebuilt the Cowboys extremely fast. Parcells is better than BB at finding mid to late round gems. In recent years, BB has really struggled after the first round. However, Bill Belichick drafted the biggest steal of all time; Tom Brady.

Bill Parcells

NY Giants-Did NOT pick Phil Simms or Lawrence Taylor.

1983-Leonard Marshall
1984-Carl Banks
1985-Mark Bavaro
1986-Pepper Johnson
1987-Garbage
1988-Jumbo Elliot
1989-D Meggett
1990-Junk

NE Patriots-Did NOT draft Ben Coates or Sott Zolak (kidding). Adam Vinatieri either (You said draft only so I assume that means no FA).

1993-Drew Bledsoe, Chris Slade, Trow Brown
1994-Willie Mcginist
1995-Ty Law, Ted Johnson, Curtis Martin*, Dave Wohlabaugh
1996-Terry Glenn, Lawyer Milloy, Tedy Bruschi

NY Jets-Did NOT draft Keyshawn.

1997-James Farrior, Jason Ferguson
1998-Jason Fabini
1999-Crap
2000-Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington, Laverneous Coles

Dallas Cowboys-Did NOT draft anyone on the roster before he got there, and neither did his predessors find anyone.

2003-Terrence Newman, Jason Witten
2004-Julius Jones, Marion Barber
2005-Demarcus Ware
2006-Scabs

Miami Dolphins-Did NOT draft Ronnie Brown.

2008-Jake Long
2009-Not impressed

He's had a couple of gems over the last 26 years, but I'm not seeing all that many HOFer's in there. Besides, time is on BB's side.

Hey, why didn't anybody tell me we had a resident draft expert? You mean somebody could have warned me they'd pick George Bussey? :mad:
Or Myron Pryor?
confused-smiley-17428.gif

Bill Parcells

NY Giants-Did NOT pick Phil Simms or Lawrence Taylor.

1983-Leonard Marshall
1984-Carl Banks
1985-Mark Bavaro
1986-Pepper Johnson
1987-Garbage
1988-Jumbo Elliot
1989-D Meggett
1990-Junk

NE Patriots-Did NOT draft Ben Coates or Sott Zolak (kidding). Adam Vinatieri either (You said draft only so I assume that means no FA).

1993-Drew Bledsoe, Chris Slade, Trow Brown
1994-Willie Mcginist
1995-Ty Law, Ted Johnson, Curtis Martin*, Dave Wohlabaugh
1996-Terry Glenn, Lawyer Milloy, Tedy Bruschi

NY Jets-Did NOT draft Keyshawn.

1997-James Farrior, Jason Ferguson
1998-Jason Fabini
1999-Crap
2000-Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington, Laverneous Coles

Dallas Cowboys-Did NOT draft anyone on the roster before he got there, and neither did his predessors find anyone.

2003-Terrence Newman, Jason Witten
2004-Julius Jones, Marion Barber
2005-Demarcus Ware
2006-Scabs

Miami Dolphins-Did NOT draft Ronnie Brown.

2008-Jake Long
2009-Not impressed

He's had a couple of gems over the last 26 years, but I'm not seeing all that many HOFer's in there. Besides, time is on BB's side.

At the least, we know Terry Glenn was not his pick. Who knows who was and who wasn't during the Grier/Parcells dual FO.

I'm honestly surprised there isn't a larger outcry in defense of Belichick. BB has been nearly money in the bank in the first round (which apparently is harder then it seems) and he's always snagged guys late and set himself up best for the following year.

It's clearly a close call, but I have to give the edge to Belichick. In all honesty, they are 1 and 1A in comparison to the rest of the league.

Overall, I would say Parcells. He rebuilt the Patriots extremely fast, he rebuilt the Jets extremely fast and rebuilt the Cowboys extremely fast. Parcells is better than BB at finding mid to late round gems. In recent years, BB has really struggled after the first round. However, Bill Belichick drafted the biggest steal of all time; Tom Brady.

Belichick produced a Superbowl winner in only two years.

Did Parcells actually choose those players?

Did Parcells actually choose those players?

Not Ware. Jones insisted on Ware, along with others in the draft room. Parcells was insisting on Spears, whom was available at their second pick in the round.

Honestly, they both have very impressive records in the draft. I can't pick one over the other. I see BB pulling away overall due to strategy and overall team building. I don't see Parcells making deals like the Welker deal that work out nearly as well.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back