PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be first/next cut?

n6249c

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Reportedly Patriots signed C.J. Marable, RB from the USFL. Roster is full so there will need to be at least one cut. I’m thinking we may see more than one, to make room for some back of the roster churn especially along the OL.

so, who will be the first player(s) cut? And this seems likely to be continuing as the final cutdowns come closer, so who will be next?

I expect one of the first to be Trace McSorley, that will open a slot and also allow Malik to start taking QB reps.

wouldn’t be surprised if Folk is another early cut. He got showcased Thursday night to show he’s healthy and still can kick. Seems like Bill’s typical respect for an old vet that might still get a shot elsewhere, but I think it’s a foregone conclusion he won’t be kicking for the Patriots after they drafted his heir apparent.

who else? Any other thoughts?

From a playing time standpoint, there’s an excess of TEs right now. They only used 1.1 TEs per snap Thursday night, which doesn’t really require 4 different depth options.

Folk might get traded to the Cowboys. They desperately need a kicker, and that's his hometown. No way they cut him at this point.
It would be great to get something in return. How’s their OL depth?

Folk might get traded to the Cowboys. They desperately need a kicker, and that's his hometown. No way they cut him at this point.
But a trade doesn't help open a roster spot.

Reportedly there’s just been another signing, OL Micah Vanterpool.

So now the Pats need to cut two players to open slots for Marable and Vanterpool.

Waiting to see, who will be cut?

Reportedly Patriots signed C.J. Marable, RB from the USFL. Roster is full so there will need to be at least one cut. I’m thinking we may see more than one, to make room for some back of the roster churn especially along the OL.

so, who will be the first player(s) cut? And this seems likely to be continuing as the final cutdowns come closer, so who will be next?

I expect one of the first to be Trace McSorley, that will open a slot and also allow Malik to start taking QB reps.

wouldn’t be surprised if Folk is another early cut. He got showcased Thursday night to show he’s healthy and still can kick. Seems like Bill’s typical respect for an old vet that might still get a shot elsewhere, but I think it’s a foregone conclusion he won’t be kicking for the Patriots after they drafted his heir apparent.

I vote for Wade, and McSorley. Honorable Mention, Rodney Randle, Fatukasi.

I vote for Wade, and McSorley. Honorable Mention, Rodney Randle, Fatukasi.
I’ve noticed Randle being mentioned in some reports from camp, and during the game. So I’m not sure he’s a good candidate for an early exit, or if he might be a dark horse PS choice.

Wade seemed to get a good amount of playing time during the game. Think I saw him at safety. I’m convinced he missed his opportunity to see the field as CB but wonder if he might still be in the mix for safety?

We definitely have an excess of DBs so wouldn’t be surprised if one is cut, just not sure either of those will be the one. Perhaps Speed?

I’ve noticed Randle being mentioned in some reports from camp, and during the game. So I’m not sure he’s a good candidate for an early exit, or if he might be a dark horse PS choice.

Wade seemed to get a good amount of playing time during the game. Think I saw him at safety. I’m convinced he missed his opportunity to see the field as CB but wonder if he might still be in the mix for safety?

We definitely have an excess of DBs so wouldn’t be surprised if one is cut, just not sure either of those will be the one. Perhaps Speed?
I've seen enough of Wade. I'd rather keep Speed a little longer.

“Dunkin” Hines; nicknamed for the place he should be working at next

Fatukasi and Heilig were let go. Bummer about Heilig. I was looking forward to see his development on ST’s. Maybe gets brought back to PS? Bill must be very confident in all of the guys none of us have seen play yet.

If McSorley gets cut, can you imagine the Cunningham hype train that would ensue? I was hoping they wouldve put Malik in the game right after Zappe. It was a snoozefest from an offensive standpoint and I knew at the very least Malik would put his athleticism on display. When he finally got his chance, I did NOT anticipate that level of poise and accuracy. Hot damn. Sure it was against a bunch of nobodies, but it doesn't change the fact that he put the ball where it needed to be and reacted well to bodies flying all around him.

Fatukasi and Heilig were let go. Bummer about Heilig. I was looking forward to see his development on ST’s. Maybe gets brought back to PS? Bill must be very confident in all of the guys none of us have seen play yet.

I think Bill let Hellig go because half the local writers had him on their 55.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back