Quarterback: 3
Center/Guard: 6
Tackle: 5

Defensive Tackle: 7
Defensive End: 7
Linebacker: 7
Safety: 6
Cornerback: 2

If we take 2 for the offense and 2 for the defense with our first 4 picks...
DT / DE
TE / C

Well, I'm not going to rank all of them, but I agree totally on the first four draft targets.

1. Sort out Wilfork 10
If he's coming back extended, great. If not, get Pat Sims, maybe, and a DE.

2. TE

3. Sort out the O-line.

4. Rotational LB.

MG TOP TEN NEEDS - March 15

1. OG/C
We need a starting interior lineman, or at least one to compete with Cannon for a starting spot. Interior line is a consensus draft need (there are only two). This is a serious need, even if Connolly stays, which I expect to happen.

2. RB
We need Blount back or a replacement.

3. TE
We need at least one, perhaps two TE's. Gronk is unlikely to play every game. TE is a consensus draft need (there are only two)

4. LB
Our backups are Beauharnais and White. We need help.

5. rotational DE
Most of us would like to see fewer reps from Jones and Ninkovitch. We need to upgrade Bequette who is currently the #3 De in the base defense.

6. pass-rushing DE
We need to replace Andre Carter and have competition for Buchanan.

7. WR (UPDATE: March 15 signed LaFell)
We still need competition for the #4 and #5 WR spots. Thompson, Boyce and Harrison are not really enough without competition.

8. SS/CB
I'm not convinced that Belichick brought in Browner to play safety. If Browner our starting SS, then there is a need for 5th CB.

9. DT
I don't put this very high. I am fine with Kelly, Jones, Siliga, Armstead/Vellano for our four DT positions. However, we do need a future replacement for Kelly.

10. QB
Surely we need to develop a backup quarterback for 2015.

MG TOP TEN NEEDS - March 15

1. OG/C
We need a starting interior lineman, or at least one to compete with Cannon for a starting spot. Interior line is a consensus draft need (there are only two). This is a serious need, even if Connolly stays, which I expect to happen.

2. RB
We need Blount back or a replacement.

3. TE
We need at least one, perhaps two TE's. Gronk is unlikely to play every game. TE is a consensus draft need (there are only two)

4. LB
Our backups are Beauharnais and White. We need help.

5. rotational DE
Most of us would like to see fewer reps from Jones and Ninkovitch. We need to upgrade Bequette who is currently the #3 De in the base defense.

6. pass-rushing DE
We need to replace Andre Carter and have competition for Buchanan.

7. WR
We still need competition for the #4 and #5 WR spots. Thompson, Boyce and Harrison are not really enough without competition.

8. SS/CB
I'm not convinced that Belichick brought in Browner to play safety. If Browner our starting SS, then there is a need for 5th CB.

9. DT
I don't put this very high. I am fine with Kelly, Jones, Siliga, Armstead/Vellano for our four DT positions. However, we do need a future replacement for Kelly.

10. QB
Surely we need to develop a backup quarterback for 2015.

Your list mirrors what I would rank as priorities. I also don't think BB expects Browner to play SS. He's a good corner, so why would we switch him to SS? I'm thinking we'll probably draft a safety or pick up one in FA.

01. Centre
02. Defensive Tackle
03. Tight End
04. Defensive End
06. Wide Receiver
07. Linebacker
08. Offensive Tackle
09. Offensive Guard
10. Running Back
11. Defensive Back
12. Quarterback

DT
OC
TE
OG
SS
DE

Would be my order.

1. TE - need to have a solid receiving threat behind or with Gronk ( this was obvious in the AFCCG)

2. D-Line - ideally a 3 down tackle who can penetrate the pocket (tough to find), next a DE for depth

3. ILB - depth with a particular eye towards a 3rd down coverage guy who can play on punt and kickoff coverage

4. Interior Oline - depth with an eye towards next year when a few leave

1. Super bowl.
2. Super bowl.
3. Super....

You get the idea .

1. TE - need to have a solid receiving threat behind or with Gronk ( this was obvious in the AFCCG)

2. D-Line - ideally a 3 down tackle who can penetrate the pocket (tough to find), next a DE for depth

3. ILB - depth with a particular eye towards a 3rd down coverage guy who can play on punt and kickoff coverage

4. Interior Oline - depth with an eye towards next year when a few leave

I agree with this list though I'd move 4 to 3. TE is a huge weakness. Once Gronk went down our offense became predictable and easy to stop the pass, so the Pats went to the run. My top need thoughts is a talented pass catching TE. In my book, he doesn't have to be a great blocker, if he's a good to great pass catcher grab him, we need him. I really want Jace Amaro, I think he'd be perfect for this offense. Otherwise there are other talented TEs available in the draft, grab more than one.

With Wilfork gone, we need a huge body in the middle. It's kinda like when we lost Ted Washington back in the day. I like that Nix kid from Notre Dame. Line him up next to Kelly and rotation with Chris Jones and others.

Oline, Brady got sacked more times than any year since his rookie season. Need to protect him better.

So I'd like to see a draft of

TE
DT
OL

Early and often. Throw in a LB and WR late. Would love to get WR Brandon Coleman from Rutgers, he'd be a redzone matchup nightmare.

TE is a huge deal. Gronk can never be relied on to make it through a season even under the best of times. He is coming off an ACL tear and we all know the first year back is typically a "down year". SO even if he plays he is unlikely to have his usual impact. TE needs help!

Assuming Wilfork gone

TE: that can catch and stay healthy, and bear the load when Gronk is out: 10

T or G: If Cannon takes over RG we need a swing T that could start in '15 and start for oft injured Vollmer, if Cannon stays outside need a guy to start at RG. Don't forget Cannon and Solder are FA's after '14: 9

C: Draft a C, renegotiate Connolly as back-up C/G: 8

DT: starting quality preferred but rotation guy OK: 7

LB: coverage ILB: 6

LDE: Buchanon and 1 or 2 camp cuts to rush on passing downs: 5

RB: Need a short yardage RB, and get a UDFA mini return back for a look see

DT, TE, OL are all about equal needs. Probably all addressed in the draft.

Then slightly below are S, LB, DE. Which we don't need but could do with.

TE is a huge deal. Gronk can never be relied on to make it through a season even under the best of times. He is coming off an ACL tear and we all know the first year back is typically a "down year". SO even if he plays he is unlikely to have his usual impact. TE needs help!

I put TE at #3 behind OL and DL for the draft.

The issue isn't so much Gronkowski as it is Hernandez. At least Gronkowski is missing games because he's trying to help the team and his teammates.

Aaron (Bleepin') Hernandez is as responsible for 2013 resulting in a loss at Denver in the playoffs as anyone. If he'd just done his job, the Patriots would have hosted the AFCC and probably won. I hate him. "Hate" is the right word for my emotions about him.

It's such a shame to have to use yet another draft choice on the TE position after setting that up for six to eight years with the Gronk/Hernandez draft. But, that's what the Pats need to do. I'd look at TE in the 3rd round unless the Notre Dame kid drops in Belichick's lap. He is a leader and tough kid.

There are a number of good pass catching TEs in this year's draft. If Tyler Eifert from Notre Dame drops to #29, the Pats should take him. He's not only a solid pass catcher, he's a good blocker, especially downfield in the short passing game.

Oh, no doubt. I can't even think of that guy (can't even say his name) without wanting to grind my teeth.

As we enter our 7th day of free agency, I thought that I would bump this needs thread.

I would really hope for a running back and an offensive lineman in the next week.

I would also like to see the Wilfork situation settled.

1) DT
2) TE
3) C
4) DE
5) WR

We have too many average depth guys at WR. We really need a true #1 and Dobson is the only guy with that potential IMO.

The issue isn't so much Gronkowski as it is Hernandez. At least Gronkowski is missing games because he's trying to help the team and his teammates.

Aaron (Bleepin') Hernandez is as responsible for 2013 resulting in a loss at Denver in the playoffs as anyone. If he'd just done his job, the Patriots would have hosted the AFCC and probably won. I hate him. "Hate" is the right word for my emotions about him.

It's such a shame to have to use yet another draft choice on the TE position after setting that up for six to eight years with the Gronk/Hernandez draft. But, that's what the Pats need to do. I'd look at TE in the 3rd round unless the Notre Dame kid drops in Belichick's lap. He is a leader and tough kid.

There are a number of good pass catching TEs in this year's draft. If Tyler Eifert from Notre Dame drops to #29, the Pats should take him. He's not only a solid pass catcher, he's a good blocker, especially downfield in the short passing game.

Tyler Eifert that plays for the Bengals!? Troy Niklas would be a reach at 29 anyway apparently, think we could get him in the 2nd, with Jernigan/Nix in the first.

I agree that these are the draft priorities, although I might put TE higher. I am hoping that we meet some of our needs in the seven weeks of free agency before the draft.

Center. We need someone to protect Brady in the big games, not the recent cast of characters who get knocked back into number 12 when it most counts. After that TE, DE, and LB, in that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe