PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What was up with Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Was he flustered? Did he not sleep well? I can't remember a time when he threw behind the receiver so many times or at their feet.. 2 of the swing passes were into the ground.

The Bailey interception, granted it was on the run, was thrown behind Troy Brown.

The lack of a running game forced Brady to carry the load all year. That's really not the ideal way to play football and it caught up with them yesterday. Pressure causes mistakes and turnovers.

DaBruinz said:
Was he flustered? Did he not sleep well? I can't remember a time when he threw behind the receiver so many times or at their feet.. 2 of the swing passes were into the ground.

The Bailey interception, granted it was on the run, was thrown behind Troy Brown.

Yeah, everybody has to have a bad game sometimes. While it's certainly more than we're used to, 2 picks isn't bad considering 1 wouldn't have happened if they hadn't been down and 1 happened in the red zone (much less field for the corners to cover). His yards were still very impressive.

I've been a little concerned about him, he and the offense haven't been sharp since the TB game. Why ? Who the hell knows, especially not me. We need to upgrade his weapons a little next year and his protection should improve based on Light returning and the young guys' gaining experience. And we need the real Dillon to take some pressure off him.

Getting the real Dillon back would probably require a time machine.

NEM said:
Damn it, how many times do I have to repeat this before some of you get it.

It has been proven that we have the offensive talent, many times. Qb, TE's WR
s backs, and even the offensiive line.

But the play calling has put Brady in jeopardy more often than not.

So many times they chould have opened games in the no huddle. Brady excels in it, and his adrenaline flows. The game in Denver was a good example, and they did not do it.

Then, for whatever reason this is, and has been, a pass first run second team, but they kept trung toforce feedd the running game into defenses \set to stop it instead of going right out of the gate to play action to soften the lnebackers, et.

Next, it as the asinine pass routes. For as long as I can remember, Brady just can not complete deep sideline fly patterns but yet, they still call them.

Other teams excel and quick slants and crossing patterns, and Brady has shown that he is best at those routes, inside the hash marks, but again, they are not used enough...and when they are used...we all seethe positive results.

And, for whatever reason, the idiot calling the plays just wold not utilize a great too, one that Brady excels at, PLAY ACTION. too many times we had to settle for a short Fg instead of a TD, because of ignorant 1st down play calls in the red zone, inside the 10 Yard line.

So, many of those bad plays by Brady were because of the plays called prior to the bad pass, or the interception. We have put him in 3rd and long jeopardy too many times, and many times it has backfired on us.

Sure, I have said this many times, but you know what, every time they have switched to the NEM mode of offensive attack, it has been exciting, it has worked, the ball has been moved and points have been put up on the board.

I know what it takes for this offense to be sujccessful..I may not have the experience, or the know how of the X's and O's of some of the well known names, or even the not so wellknown, but I would be able to move this offense...of tht I have no doubt.

I am not boasting, or whatever. I just know what I could have done with the playcalling and the game plans, offensively, and it is far better than what we saw ......

Now, onto next season.

NEM, you would fold like a cheap suit the first time it's 3rd and 10 from your own 5 in a road game. I don't mean that personally, I'm just sayin...It always looks so easy from the couch.

SoonerPatriot said:
NEM, you would fold like a cheap suit the first time it's 3rd and 10 from your own 5 in a road game. I don't mean that personally, I'm just sayin...It always looks so easy from the couch.

NEM doesn't watch games from the couch. He watches them at the VINE. So you need to correct your statement accordingly.

huskeralk said:
NEM doesn't watch games from the couch. He watches them at the VINE. So you need to correct your statement accordingly.

Opps. My bad. It always looks so much easier sitting in a methane filled booth at the Vine on your 13th beer. That better?

Well, NEM has a good point with respect to the type of pass that Brady was intercepted by Bailey on. For whatever reason, he's thrown into a couple of those this year, to that side -- remember the Ty Law pick? The criminal thing about that playcall is that if it does end up in an interception, there is nobody between the interceptor and seven points. Is that really the throw you want to make in that situation in the Denver red zone? I don't think so. It was bad playcalling -- pure and simple.

Sorry Sieglo, gotta disagree with you. It was a blown play. Brady shouldn't have had to roll out. He was on the run and being pursued by on of the Broncos linemen. Brady isn't very accurate when he's forced to do that. Hence the reason he put it to the wrong side of Brown and giving Bailey the angle to make the interception.

re:

His throws were off because he was put on his back at least a dozen times during the game. He was probably seeing double on a few of those throws and his shoulder was probably sore. Also, it's hard to be accurate all the time when you have Broncos players consistently running free towards you almost immediately after the ball is snapped.

maverick4 said:
His throws were off because he was put on his back at least a dozen times during the game. He was probably seeing double on a few of those throws and his shoulder was probably sore. Also, it's hard to be accurate all the time when you have Broncos players consistently running free towards you almost immediately after the ball is snapped.

Well, I can agree that Brady was getting hit. Many of them were late hits and not called. Sorry, but Broncos players weren't CONSISTENTLY running free towards Brady. There were plenty of times where Brady had plenty of time to get the ball off.

DaBruinz said:
There were plenty of times where Brady had plenty of time to get the ball off.

Right, I agree. I never said they got to him every play.

I mean that throughout the game, when they wanted to, the Broncos were generally able (with a few exceptions) to lay a hit on Brady or rush his throws.

DaBruinz said:
Many of them were late hits and not called.

Yes. As bad or worse were the missed holding calls on the Denver offensive line. The holding went on all night, and nobody cared.

sieglo said:
Well, NEM has a good point with respect to the type of pass that Brady was intercepted by Bailey on. For whatever reason, he's thrown into a couple of those this year, to that side -- remember the Ty Law pick? The criminal thing about that playcall is that if it does end up in an interception, there is nobody between the interceptor and seven points. Is that really the throw you want to make in that situation in the Denver red zone? I don't think so. It was bad playcalling -- pure and simple.
Brady and BB have said time and time again that plays aren't designed to go just to a specific receiver, Brady throws based on who's open and how he reads the defense. The mistake was not a bad playcall, it was a either a bad decision on Brady's part or a bad throw. (I say a bad throw because many times Brady completes passes that are arguably bad decisions and could easily be picked off, especially in the endzone, but he is normally so precise that he throws them anyway and is successful at it.)

I think Brady had almos lost his mind by the end. Seriously. But he'll get it back. He had no running game, OL in and out. And a defense which was lousy for half the season.

Given time to reflect he'll realize that 10-9 was OK at that point. We were playing better. The defense was pitching a shutout except for the turnovers at the end of the half. 10-9 put us in a great position. But I think the issues of the season didn't let him realize that and I think he forced a pass which he otherwise wouldn't.

Granted, he's forced passes before and that's what makes great QBs great sometimes, that daring. But if the defense is close next year to how it was the second half of this season, we have an actual running game and WR no worse than this year Brady should be a little more relaxed about taking the FG if he has to.

sieglo said:
According to TJ on Dale and Holley, that play had been open all game. It was a crossing pattern with Branch and Brown. Before, Bailey had followed Branch and the other defender followed Brown, occassionally rubbing each other off. This time, they swapped receivers and played zone. Brady should have recognized it and threw it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back