PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Mayo learned from Mac Jones Patriots tenure

I think Bill should have been let go at the end of the 2022 season. For this decision alone. It's so egregious that it can't be excused.

The tackle situation post 2021 didn’t help either. For the next qb at the minimum you need to solidify the OL and have good coaching in place. Mac had this in 21 and even his mediocre butt had a pretty good rookie year without great weapons. That was his ceiling though unfortunately.

I think Bill should have been let go at the end of the 2022 season. For this decision alone. It's so egregious that it can't be excused.
Like his mantra better a year early than a year late look at us now a garbage disposal on Offense.

So he learned all this and the best he could come up with was Van Pelt and McAdoo the offensive version of Patricia and Judge :rofl:

Dumb and dumber offensive edition, a couple of cheap defensive bozos no one else wanted replaced by a couple of cheap offensive ones no one else wanted.

All they need to do is draft JJ "Mac Jones 2.0" McCarthy to complete the rebuild of suck, no weapons and a suckbag game manager coached by 2 fat blowhards, it's so fitting.
This has me worried also.
A couple retread bubba offensive coaches. I hope it works out.
Supposedly there is a "knack" to calling plays. I believe Van Pelt hasn't done that.
Get McDaniels back in the building.

I feel like I'm watching that scene in "The Longest Yard" where the medical staff is looking at the guy's knee when the player's face is bashed in....

Yeah, Mac Jones had a terrible year 2 with Patricia & Judge. Because of that, Belichick went out and hired Bill O'Brien, who operated a fairly simple offense with a lot of McDaniels' O stuck in there. What happened then?? The guy still stunk up the joint.

Blaming Mac Jones' 2023 season on his 2022 coaches is BS. The guy flamed out with a coach that many here felt was the best option out there. Mac Jones' failure in New England in 2023 was on Mac Jones, not Bill Belichick.

Like his mantra better a year early than a year late look at us now a garbage disposal on Offense.
Which is ironic because for many years it worked. But there have been more than a few players the last little bit to be successful after Bill. And his biggest sin of all was letting Brady go early. In the end, it led to him losing his job imo.

I feel like I'm watching that scene in "The Longest Yard" where the medical staff is looking at the guy's knee when the player's face is bashed in....

Yeah, Mac Jones had a terrible year 2 with Patricia & Judge. Because of that, Belichick went out and hired Bill O'Brien, who operated a fairly simple offense with a lot of McDaniels' O stuck in there. What happened then?? The guy still stunk up the joint.

Blaming Mac Jones' 2023 season on his 2022 coaches is BS. The guy flamed out with a coach that many here felt was the best option out there. Mac Jones' failure in New England in 2023 was on Mac Jones, not Bill Belichick.
I think Mac shouldn't be a starter in the NFL. And Bill should only get a coaching job for a team ready to win a SB.

Both can be true.

That's where he lost me for good.

Wasn't 100% on Belichick but as head coach and GM he shares at least half the responsibility for Jones flaming out in NE. If he should be completely absolved of any responsibility for that he'd still be employed by the Patriots or some other NFL team. Now it's doubtful he'll ever find that kind of employment again.

The "QB controversy" with Zappe was also started and egged on by Bill and it's embarrassing that was ever a thing at all.

Last edited:
Coaching is definitely important, but so is personnel. No coach can help a QB figure out how to play behind Vederian Lowe and not get killed. That's why them punting on FA is so irritating. They are risking getting another young QB killed with that Oline alone

Really glad RK was paying attention BB credibility along the Offensive side of the ball took a Big hit. You can't win with smoke and mirrors in Today's' NFL Talent gets it done.
They didn’t even have the smoke and mirrors.

By then, Jones was done here.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back