PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What does "Throwing a receiver open" mean?

NovaScotiaPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been watching more film trying to learn how to break it down and one thing I've heard about Mac is that he can throw receivers open, but I'm not exactly sure what this means.

Is it like putting the ball into a place where the receiver maybe can't get open normally but because of where the ball is placed he has an angle on the defender that makes it easier for him to get to the ball and thus he goes from covered to open?

Thanks all!

Please observe with your own eyes, then you tell us. What throws did you feel counted as 'throwing a man open'?

It basically means you are throwing a ball to a well covered receiver in a spot where only he can catch it. Or throwing to a spot where a receiver will be before he gets there and only he can catch it usually it means the receiver will make the adjustment to catch the ball. I have seen both used to describe throwing a receiver open. I think when people are talking about Jones, they are talking about the latter.

After reading your explanation Rob and then watching the link from VJCPatriots it becomes much more clear. It actually wasn't what I thought people meant when they used the term.

Oh ok, so on the TD to Bourne vs the Browns when I first watched it I thought it was a high throw by Mac, but then seeing it on replay and film I was blown away because he put it right where he wanted it to #1 keep it from the defenders and #2 to protect Bourne from getting killed by the Safety.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks peeps!

I've always understood it to mean the QB throwing to a spot where, if the receiver catches the ball at that spot, he'd also be open at that spot. So the QB has to take into account not only the receiver's position and route, but that of any defenders in the area. So if the defender say was in trail position, then the throw would need to be ahead of the receiver (or maybe back shoulder). Or if the safety is coming across, the throw would be to the other side of the receiver, away from the safety.

One of the better interviews (which I can't find) are with Johnny Unitas' receivers talking about how they knew where the defender was, when their back was turned, based on where the ball was thrown. He'd "lead them" to turn and run in a certain direction, or just cover up so as to avoid a hospital visit. His accuracy and chemistry with the receivers was ridiculous.

Is it like putting the ball into a place where the receiver maybe can't get open normally but because of where the ball is placed he has an angle on the defender that makes it easier for him to get to the ball and thus he goes from covered to open?
Yes you are correct.

It’s an overused-lazy saying analysts use that doesn't make sense. You can’t “throw” a guy “open” who's covered. The QB just throws to a spot he trusts the WR to make a play.

It’s not like Madden Football were the WR is covered, you throw the ball and the WR gets the 5 yard glitch separation from the defender.

Last edited:
Oh ok, so on the TD to Bourne vs the Browns when I first watched it I thought it was a high throw by Mac, but then seeing it on replay and film I was blown away because he put it right where he wanted it to #1 keep it from the defenders and #2 to protect Bourne from getting killed by the Safety.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks peeps!
Yup. Glad you're starting to see it after watching the video yourself. :thumbsup:

Now for extra viewing, if you want to see an even more detailed breakdown of the plays check out this video.

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back