PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do you fear most/think is the weak spot of the Patriots O

Status
Not open for further replies.
-lack of depth in the running game
-possible learning curve issues w/ new blocking scheme
-chemistry

we have depth at RB..Maroney...starter. Faulk..hes been here forever..and done us very well. Morris-signed a 1 mill + deal..did well in Miami..played RB-FB-and their best ST player

Evans-Mills at FB..Hairston is a big powerful guy that can take Dillon's role IF WE WANT

worried about Kazcur..we couldnt run behind him. the OL in general is the only real concern besides maybe..what do we do with 2 deep threats who arent possesion guys? Someones gotta go over middle and run intermediate/short routes. Cant make it simple..lets hope Stall and Moss prove us wrong and show they can be somewhat compliments to each other

That's why they signed Welker. He will be the one that will find the soft spots in the zone. Although Watson had some trouble finding soft spots in zones, this can be answered simply because he was double and sometimes triple teamed when going over the middle. This won't be the case any longer. Moss and Stallworth will go deep, Welker, Watson and David Thomas will take care of the middle of the field.

Obviously this is much more a potent offense this year, but I really fear what will happen if Maroney goes down and it's left up to Faulk and Morris to have a ground game. Don't know enough about Morris, but I think even the combo would not be adequate to run the ball steadily. Other weaknesses??

I understand your fear in a way...EXCEPT....our offense of 2001 and 2003 featured Antowain Smith as the primary RB...and we got along just fine......However, I guess I would feel a little more comfortable with someone other than Faulk and Morris as our only other "true and tested" RB's should something god forbid happen to Maroney (and there is no guarantee that he is going to be a superstar RB this year either.......the guy showed flashes of absolute brilliance...however as we all know he needs to hit the hole faster and needs to stop the happy feet....) Anyways....the other variable is which O line will show up each week.....Matt Light is either great or a turnstile.......and there are alot of other inconsistencies.........

we have depth at RB..Maroney...starter. Faulk..hes been here forever..and done us very well. Morris-signed a 1 mill + deal..did well in Miami..played RB-FB-and their best ST player

Evans-Mills at FB..Hairston is a big powerful guy that can take Dillon's role IF WE WANT

That's pretty optimistic. I'll take a wait and see approach.

Running Back

I wish they would find a way to get Dillon back on this team.

Obviously this is much more a potent offense this year, but I really fear what will happen if Maroney goes down and it's left up to Faulk and Morris to have a ground game. Don't know enough about Morris, but I think even the combo would not be adequate to run the ball steadily. Other weaknesses??

they couldn't run the ball with consistency last year.

I think a big question is what the Pats will try to do formation wise. I was not a fan of their doble tightend power I set last year. I'd prefer to see more 3 wide and 4 wide sets. I can't imagine them not doing this.

I'm torn between Long Snapper and Head Coach. One carries a risk of prolonged illness from a dirty tattoo needle, the other has shown an alarming taste in plastic women. Such a quandary, I'm an emotional wreck. I may have to resume drinking heavily and take up this issue when the final roster is set...

We can dominate any defense this year by spreading the field and getting Brady in a no huddle. The defense will be puking.

Once our new crew gets it together-we'll be unstoppable.

Maroney will not get hurt this year and he'll put up 1200-1500 yds.

Last edited:
Agree with many of you about RB. Dillon will be missed more than we'd like to admit. Morris is a big drop off from Dillon.

The question is whether that matters. When Brady throws for more than 4,000 yds and our WRs are always in the end zone, we probably won't notice the drop off in the running game. Brady's career high is 28 TDs. He threw for 24 in 2006. Is there any doubt that he'll set a new career high in 2007?

I don't see running back as much of a problem as most. I have full confidence in Maroney as a feature back (and it appears Belichick does as well), Faulk is a good third down back/receiver, Morris has done well as a fill in in his career, Evans is a full back, and then there's the rookie Hairston who was extremely productive in college and could fight for a roster spot. With the rest of the offense as storng as it is I don't think we need two Pro Bowl running backs or anything to have a good and adequate running game.

It isn't that RB is a problem, the position is the weakest spot on the offense. Another candidate is backup QB. However, RB is more likely to make a difference.

Last edited:
Matt Gutierrez ...
as almsot everyone's posts have IMPLIED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes