PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Corey Dillon has to do to make the HOF

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Corey Dillon currently sits at 10,582 yards and 77 total TDs. To ensure his place in the HOF, this is how I see things falling out:

1. Rush for another 800 yards and score 9 more TDs this year, over the next 14 games. Attainable barring injury.

2. Sign a two year contract extension with the understanding that he will become the Pats "Jerome Bettis"

3. Average 500 yards and 7TDs over the next two seasons. Attainable, barring injury, as a short yardage/goal line back.

4. Those numbers will have Dillon sitting pretty at 12,382 yard, #8 on the all-time list between Tony Dorsett and Jim Brown, and 100 TDs, undeniable credentials for the HOF.

PonyExpress said:
Corey Dillon currently sits at 10,582 yards and 77 total TDs. To ensure his place in the HOF, this is how I see things falling out:

1. Rush for another 800 yards and score 9 more TDs this year, over the next 14 games. Attainable barring injury.

2. Sign a two year contract extension with the understanding that he will become the Pats "Jerome Bettis"

3. Average 500 yards and 7TDs over the next two seasons. Attainable, barring injury, as a short yardage/goal line back.

4. Those numbers will have Dillon sitting pretty at 12,382 yard, #8 on the all-time list between Tony Dorsett and Jim Brown, and 100 TDs, undeniable credentials for the HOF.

Doubt he makes it. He isn't well liked. Was he ever league MVP or rushing leader? He was highest rusher in a game for a while.

He's a unique back, but unless he gets 14K-15K yards or so, I bet they snub him.

I have no clue what it would take to get him into the HOF, but all 4 of your goals seem like they could certainly happen. I'd love to see Dillon become our Bettis in the future as Maroney starts to really come into his own. Don't tell Dillon that yet, though, the guy is still a monster. Last year was clearly an abberation, he can still wreck opponents.

mcbee said:
Doubt he makes it. He isn't well liked. Was he ever league MVP or rushing leader? He was highest rusher in a game for a while.

He's a unique back, but unless he gets 14K-15K yards or so, I bet they snub him.

We had this conversation in the offseason too... yes if anyone's likely to be snubbed after breaking the Top 10, its Dillon - but breaking the Top 10 makes it awfully hard to be snubbed.

Beyond that, the longer he plays past his time in Cleveland where I think he had the bad blood with the press primarilly, the better for him with the press.

I think if they were honest, many in the press locally would acknowledge they gave him a tough time after last season, not fully acknowledging the extent of his injury - and should be grateful that Dillon's not taken a vow of silence with the media now

So I don't think he's burned bridges with the media here at all

If he makes the top 10 he should be in.

JoeSixPat said:
We had this conversation in the offseason too... yes if anyone's likely to be snubbed after breaking the Top 10, its Dillon - but breaking the Top 10 makes it awfully hard to be snubbed.

Beyond that, the longer he plays past his time in Cleveland where I think he had the bad blood with the press primarilly, the better for him with the press.

I think if they were honest, many in the press locally would acknowledge they gave him a tough time after last season, not fully acknowledging the extent of his injury - and should be grateful that Dillon's not taken a vow of silence with the media now

So I don't think he's burned bridges with the media here at all

If he makes the top 10 he should be in.
Trying to get the Bengals fans worked up before the Pats head to Ohio weekend after next? :D

You left off 1 thing, if he get another couple of rings that will make it harder to snub him. ;)

The NFL HOF is a very watered down HOF. I dont think he makes it, but he'll be considered.

Watered down at the Offensive skill positions, but not at OL, DL, LB, DB.

Corey will always be one of my Favorite Pats....First one I got the pleasure to meet and have drinks with. He has to do ALOT more and push his limits to get in the HOF IMPO:)

Unfortunatly Dillon rushed for 902 fewer yards in 2005 then he did 2004(1,635) and that kind of dropoff isn't indicative of an aging player--It's indicative of an injured one. He will definatley be pressed however, by the first-round pick Maroney. I just hope he stays healthy because of all the injuries in the offensive line that they had.........

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:

Dillon is alreadly signed for those years...
With Maroney as a sidekick, barring injuries expect better than those production estimates...IMO

jct said:
Dillon is alreadly signed for those years...
With Maroney as a sidekick, barring injuries expect better than those production estimates...IMO
I believe next year's bonus for Dillon, which kicks in the last 3 years of his "5 year deal", is a paper tiger and in fact he will either be cut or have to work out a new deal.

PonyExpress said:

Corey Dillon is on course for a 1200 yard regular season this year, as he is averaging 75 yards a game, after two. He would be within 200 yards of the projected end of career yardage, THIS season. His contract is already structured for an additional two years after this one...

AzPatsFan said:
Corey Dillon is on course for a 1200 yard regular season this year, as he is averaging 75 yards a game, after two. He would be within 200 yards of the projected end of career yardage, THIS season. His contract is already structured for an additional two years after this one...
If Dillon averages 75 yds per game the rest of the year, which I doubt considering Maroney's emergence and Dillon's age, he would end the season with 11,632 yards rushing for his career. That is not within 200 yards of 8th place, but 700+ yards. And as I understand it Dillon's last 3 years on his contract are phony, so something will have to be done this offseason to extend him.

If Dillon makes it, then so should Vinny Testaverde.

Seymour93 said:
If Dillon makes it, then so should Vinny Testaverde.
vinnys stats are very much related to the number of years played and I very much disagree. when dillon was in Cincy, there was nothing else on that team except him to game plan against and he still had monster seasons. I think that he will make his yardage goals that the first poster projected out and with another hopeful ring to his resume should be a very good canidate for the HOF

Jacky Roberts said:
The NFL HOF is a very watered down HOF. I dont think he makes it, but he'll be considered.

Yeah, compared to other leagues like MLB it sure is wide open. :rolleyes:

There are only two players on the Patriots who will make the hall as things stand right now and that's Belichick and Brady. Dillon won't get into the Hall.

Last edited:
It bothers me but I think that Dillon and Harrison wont make the HOF. Rodney...does he deserve it? Ofcourse he does in my opinion but his "cheap shots" will keep him out I bet.

As for Dillon, if he can get 1000 yards this year and at least 7 TD's that would be a nice step towards the HOF. Or score 10+ TDs again. However yardage is where his best career stats are...not TDs.

Dillon and Vinny are a bad comp. Vinny was never one of the top 3 quarterbacks. Dillon was at RB.

The original poster is 100% correct about his contract. His deal ends after this year when the Pats cut him or redo his contract. The Dillon deal kinda confused me when it happened because the Pats tend to not do 'funny money' deals.

No way does he make the HOF. The only way I see him having a chance is to pull a Bettis while the Pats win another Superbowl. This would require him to accept both a backseat to Maroney and a modest salary, along with the Pats winning another (I think they're going to be great in the upcoming years, but winning it all is much harder than the Pats have led us to believe). Bettis was never a HOF player but might get in due to being likable and watching his teammates win the Superbowl. Dillon won't get in because of an attitude problem and modern yardage inflation, unless he racks up enough yards you can't ignore it and becomes a model veteran who gives reporters warm fuzzy feelings.

Then again Roger Clemens is inexplicably adored in Boston again so who knows, anything can happen.

I think that Maroney and Dillon could potentially extend each other's careers. Defenses have trouble switching back and forth between two radically different, but very effective, running styles. So both players begin to break longer runs towards the end of the game, and all hell breaks loose!

Maroney is more likely to suffer from the split carries than Dillon at this point, because Maroney could have been the next Clinton Portis wonder boy with 1500 yards seasons. But Dillon is probably a little past the point were he is going to consistently put up huge yards.

Even 75 yards a game would be 1,200 per season. That'll put Dillon in HOF territory, especially with some more shiny rings. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back