PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We expected the AFCC game to be the toughest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Most of us expected the AFCC game to be the toughest matchup of all, probably against the Colts.

Instead, we're getting a team that beat the Colts despite being pretty seriously dinged up, and that tentatively projects to be healthier than they were when they beat the Colts (LT back, Gates better, Rivers???)

I'm very optimistic, but let's not get carried away with the supposed ease of the game.

Am sure that the majority on this board understand there's a worthy opponent on Sunday. The folly of thinking that the home team got a break due to the Colts' loss is sure to surprise a few. I'm confident that the home team will be ready.

I don't know why so many Patriots fans think that they got off easy because the Colts lost. In my opinion, the Colts are a much weaker team than the Chargers at this point. They lost to the Chargers backups and even had help from the refs. They also looked horrible on defense, even though they're ranked #1 throughout the season. The Colts defense would have given up at least 40 points to the Patriots the way they were playing last week. The Chargers are the second best team in the AFC in my view at this point and pose a bigger threat than the Colts, that is if Rivers, Tomlinson, and Gates play on Sunday.

On any Sunday, Bill will have his charges ready to play....

The opponent is the opponent. This week its the Chargers, and they have been playing hard the last few games. I don't think Bill and the players are overlooking them, maybe a few fans are, but not who matters.

On any Sunday, Bill will have his charges ready to play....

The opponent is the opponent. This week its the Chargers, and they have been playing hard the last few games. I don't think Bill and the players are overlooking them, maybe a few fans are, but not who matters.

The good thing for the Chargers is that all of the pressure is on the Patriots since they're the ones who are 17-0 and everyone is already predicting that the Patriots will win. So, the Chargers have nothing to lose and everything to gain on Sunday. Hopefully the Patriots crack under all that pressure but I doubt it'll happen with Tom Brady quarterbacking that team. That guy is unflappable. But the Patriots defense can still choke.

Last edited:
even had help from the refs.

That's a constant factor. It happens every big game. It's just one of the things that makes the Colts a tough opponent.

Most of us expected the AFCC game to be the toughest matchup of all, probably against the Colts.

Instead, we're getting a team that beat the Colts despite being pretty seriously dinged up, and that tentatively projects to be healthier than they were when they beat the Colts (LT back, Gates better, Rivers???)

I'm very optimistic, but let's not get carried away with the supposed ease of the game.
Of course it won't be easy. And the fact that the Chargers beat the Colts proves the "any given Sunday" homily, because the Colts are a much better team than the Charters and the Chargers outplayed them last Sunday, just as they could outplay the Pats next Sunday.

But let's get real. The Colts were a far tougher opponent for us than the Chargers. I did want to beat the Colts next week to erase the bad taste of last year - I still cannot watch a highlight (lowlight?) of that game. It still makes my stomach churn to thing about it.

But as much as I wanted to see the Pats beat the Colts, there was the very real chance of the Colts winning. Other than the Chargers playing the best game of their season, the Pats playing their worst, and a handful of fluke plays and bad bounces, I just don't see the Chargers winning.

Be honest. Say some homicidal fruitcake kidnaps you and decides to torture you. He says he is going to cut off your kaboongas with a pair of rusty headge clippers BUT if you guess the winner of the AFCCG he'll let you go. Who do you pick?

With their kaboongas on the line, even Charger fans would have to go with the Pats. (Colts fans would be safe as everyone knows they have no kaboongas.)

I don't know why so many Patriots fans think that they got off easy because the Colts lost.

The Chargers don't have anyone on the Competition Committee. We only fear the refs at this point.

the Chargers have nothing to lose and everything to gain on Sunday.
Bull. Charger fans have nothing to lose, sure. They are the worst fans in the league if they don't care it if the Chargers win or lose.

But if the Chargers themselves don't care if they win or lose, then they will get blown out. The Patriots are on a mission this year. This game is very important to them for a number of reasons and on a number of levels.

If you team doesn't want to win more than anything else in the world, if this game doesn't mean everything to them, they will lose.

The good thing for the Chargers is that all of the pressure is on the Patriots since they're the ones who are 17-0 and everyone is already predicting that the Patriots will win. So, the Chargers have nothing to lose and everything to gain on Sunday. Hopefully the Patriots crack under all that pressure but I doubt it'll happen with Tom Brady quarterbacking that team. That guy is unflappable. But the Patriots defense can still choke.
Your rookie naivete is showing, Cromartie. I know you just got out of college and haven't experienced the school of hard knocks to this point, but realize that the Patriots are going into the AFCC game at 0-0. This is their mindset. Further, while Brady is cool, there are a few other vets on the team who have multiple Super Bowl rings and multiple playoff game experience. They will share their focus this week with the rest of the rookies and new players. While I expect a good game, don't expect anything less than a battle-hardened home team ready to play in an environment expected to be in the single digits temperature wise. Yeah, a lot like San Diego at this time of year.

The Chargers don't have anyone on the Competition Committee. We only fear the refs at this point.
Did you see that Polian is complaining about the refs not calling delay of game penalties on the Chargers quickly enough? What a jerk. The refs rape the Chargers all game long, take away an INT touchdown on a totally bogus holding call where Weddle clearly ran into Addai and pushed him to the ground, make up their usual phantom PI calls favoring Colts WRs, and invent PI calls on the Chargers, and Polian complains about the referreeing?

What does he want? His money back?

I don't think anybody on the Pats is taking the Chargers lightly. The Chargers won a game nobody thought they would win. I would even bet that the Pats were already preparing for the Colts and not the Chargers.

As for the Chargers, anybody notice how Philip Rivers always threw the ball high, so only his tall receivers could get the ball (over the shorter colts DBs). He is starting to play much better.

I thought we could handle the Colts. The Chargers worry me.

What I mean is that there's no shame in losing to an undefeated team. No one else beat them so why should the Chargers be any different? That's the mindset of everyone but the Chargers going into this game so if they lose it's not like they'll be ridiculed by the media because they're expected to lose. Whereas if the Patriots lose, everyone will be shocked.

I think this is the reason the Pats have gotten every team's A game, there is no fear of losing, they empty the bucket against the Pats, trying to knock off the unbeaten team.

What I mean is that there's no shame in losing to an undefeated team. No one else beat them so why should the Chargers be any different? That's the mindset of everyone but the Chargers going into this game so if they lose it's not like they'll be ridiculed by the media because they're expected to lose. Whereas if the Patriots lose, everyone will be shocked.
If what you said was true, then they would have lost to the Giants and not had a perfect season. Or they would have lost to the JAGs last week and had a perfect season but lost in the playoffs.

Fact is, the Patriots could give a crap less about what you, I or the media thinks. They are under no pressure to avoid negative press. Are you kidding me? Name a team in NFL history that has had more negative press so far this year than the Pats. Between teh spygate stuff, being accused of running up the score when other teams win by similar scores and are praised, reading about other teams using bounty incentives for playing well and having nothing said and knowing if it were them the media would go beserk with cries of Cheating, I can't remember all the negative stuff written. The local Boston media is worse than the national media, and that won't ever change.

No, being ridiculed by the media is not something that worries the Pats. In fact, even if they win, there will still be some that say it doesn't count. Wiley and Spicer are a couple. More will come out of the woodwork.

There will be enough negative stuff said even if they win the SB that the Pats will be on a mission next year, also. 38-0, baby.

The good thing for the Chargers is that all of the pressure is on the Patriots since they're the ones who are 17-0 and everyone is already predicting that the Patriots will win. So, the Chargers have nothing to lose and everything to gain on Sunday.

This is typically short-sighted and lazy wishful thinking. This site tends toward the more sophisticated analysis so let's maybe raise our game a little. No team has ever tested its mettle - and succeeded in doing so - more consistently than the Patriots. They have been dealing with this "pressure" ALL SEASON LONG.

And the Chargers, while probably having "no hope," certainly don't have "no pressure." They lose, THEY GO HOME. That counts, too. All of those guys are playing in the biggest game of their lives and they have almost NO SHOT at winning. Willingness to go all brash trash-talk and the reality of a gutless performance by Indy doesn't make up for that.

The Colts defense would have given up at least 40 points to the Patriots the way they were playing last week.

False logic. I don't think you can compare the matchup issues that cleanly.

For instance, your team may whomp on the Broncos while the Broncos beat us due to what seems like historically good matchups for them between our two systems.

Similarly, I think the Chargers must match up well with the Colts because it's been 3 or 4 straight, and they seem to struggle every time. It would be nice to understand why, but that is probably too technical a point for me (besides the easy choice of Merriman.)

I'm extremely concerned about the game.

Chargers are very good. They were a team thought to be super bowl bound last year and their personnel is not materially different. In fact, they are getting more production from some positions.

Their coaching staff changed, but they clearly have righted that ship. They view this as a revenge game and, much like our team finds ways to draw motivation from perceived slights, are angry about the mocking of Merriman's mocking dance. There are players on that team who are frothing at the mouth at the idea of doing some kind of celebration on our logo.

Our team has faced 4th quarter deficits in 4 of the last 9 games, and many games have been close. We play a very close to the line bend but not break defensive style and can be horrible in the red zone.

This is a losable game. Obviously, depending on how bad their injuries are at the skill positions, things could be different. But the reality is that a year ago, many picked this is as the eventual AFC championship game, and there were good reasons for that.

Exactly! The pressure is on the Patriots. But I will say that if any team can handle the pressure, it's the Patriots. I'll admit, I'm a little jealous of how well disciplined your team is. I wish the Chargers could keep their cool like that in every game.
You're probably not aware of this, but you are falling into a long line of trolls posting on this board saying the exact same things. This is not unique. In fact, we could substitute only the name of the opposing teams and you'd find posts just like yours. Read the responses carefully, there is wisdom from those who have been there.

Exactly! The pressure is on the Patriots. But I will say that if any team can handle the pressure, it's the Patriots. I'll admit, I'm a little jealous of how well disciplined your team is. I wish the Chargers could keep their cool like that in every game.

The Patriots keep themselves under pressure all the time... that's why they are a winning team.. They will keep an eye on the ball, the clock and the opposition.

One doesn't win by taking the opponent lightly but by respecting them.. No trash talking by any of the Pats. All the action will be on the field, where it should rightly be.

Having said all that, I think this game will be approached by BB like any other - careful planning, watching lots of film, crafting plays, practising them on the field before the game and when it comes game time - keep your cool, respect your opponent and play your hearts out until you come up with a win. Seems like an easy enough formula but no other team has been able to match the dedication with which each member of this team approaches their job on the field....

I think BB summed it up best when talking to a group of his players on the sidelines in a memorable clip ... "Just do your job".. 4 simple words... That about sums it up. Hype, discussion, argument, none of it means anything to any of the players. They are all hard at work, studying film and preparing for the Chargers. I guess the media is a huge distraction and I doubt many of them watch the shows we watch... They would go nuts if they heard the things being said...

Well, enough said... My 2 c on this

That's a very insightful post. I'm glad to see a Patriots fan that is being realistic about this game. No doubt, the Patriots are the best team in the league, but any team can beat any other team on any given Sunday. Here's to a great game!

I don't really understand the need for so much prognostication, and why people get bent out of shape one way or the other based on what people predict. It's just opinion. At the end of the day, everyone understands the game is played on the field, not on message boards.

I guess I should add to my post before any Bolts fans get too excited, though, that it was just a post about why the game is losable. The reasons why the game is winable for the patriots would be a much longer post. I don't take anything for granted, but, at the end of the day, I go back to one thought that gives me solace: Your team has Norv, and we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe