PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Watson's Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

OntarioPatsFan

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there was a post about this, but huge kudos to Ben. That kid is a player. I know it was a terrible play overall, but Ben showed a huge amount of pride and heart on that run back. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. Champ should be ashamed of himself for being owned on that play. Seriously, getting run down by a TE. And his own players should have blocked Ben, but they all gave up. A good indication that they won't be getting to the Super Bowl any time soon.

The play tonight and the play last week against Jacksonville showed what kind of talent Watson is. He has a ton of potential, hopefully he lives up to that potential. Unless we get an OC that knows how to use him, I'm afraid Watson will never become a star, we just don't use his talent enough. 5 catches for 95 yards and a TD last week, and 0,0,0 this week, the same as in the regular season, he is sometimes a wasted weapon. Sorta like showing up to a gun fight with a knife. A possible superstar weapon who is not used correctly. Oh well, I can't question BB, 3 SB wins in 5 year is pretty friggen awesome.

scott99 said:
The play tonight and the play last week against Jacksonville showed what kind of talent Watson is. He has a ton of potential, hopefully he lives up to that potential. Unless we get an OC that knows how to use him, I'm afraid Watson will never become a star, we just don't use his talent enough. 5 catches for 95 yards and a TD last week, and 0,0,0 this week, the same as in the regular season, he is sometimes a wasted weapon. Sorta like showing up to a gun fight with a knife. A possible superstar weapon who is not used correctly. Oh well, I can't question BB, 3 SB wins in 5 year is pretty friggen awesome.
There are plenty of reasons for the way Watson was used this year. Some people think Seymour is mis-used in the same sort of way, that he would be a real superstar in a 4-3. Watson will make his mark, but on this team, they want complete football players, not TE's who can't block.

I was thinking the same thing. A total hustle play. And to think, this is the kid's first full season. The surface has barely been scratched on his potential.

OntarioPatsFan said:
I'm not sure if there was a post about this, but huge kudos to Ben. That kid is a player. I know it was a terrible play overall, but Ben showed a huge amount of pride and heart on that run back. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. Champ should be ashamed of himself for being owned on that play. Seriously, getting run down by a TE.
Watson is no ordinary TE, as his long TD last week showed. He has 4.35 speed, and is incredibly strong (that's why I was hoping they'd draft him as they did last year. He's faster than all the WRs, and stronger than all the lineman that were taken ahead of him, and very bright).

Hopefully they'll make more use of him as a weapon next year. Having both him and Graham in there at the same time can create headaches for defenses. Who's going to go out for a pass, and who will stay in and block? Do you assign an LB to cover them? (both can outrun most LBs, and Watson can outrun most safeties and many CBs) A CB or S? If so, throw the ball high, and they can catch it, and plow through the tackle.

The biggest reason why both Watson and Graham haven't been used to their full potential yet is that they've been needed to help out the OL, which is still rather inadequate. Watson spent most of last night helping the OL block, Denver was sending so many people, and our OL has some weaknesses.

And his own players should have blocked Ben, but they all gave up.
I don't think they gave up, they didn't have a shot at him. Watson came from the other side of the field, and outrun everyone, catching up to Bailey. He's just that fast.

i will NEVER FORGET the play ben watson made...

never !

compliments Ben !!!

you are a great player !

thanks !!!

That was an was a jaw-dropping display of running and pure determination! I remind you that Champ who plays in that altitude, was flagging at the end and yet Ben still caught him! Had that call gone for the touchback, Ben's run would have been the play of the game IMO.

for the moment it is the BEST PLAY IN THE PLAY-OFFS

grazie Ben !!!

I remember how Don Beebe's play on Lett in the SB years ago became a character lesson throughout the nation.

How many coaches and teachers and will use that Watson hustle play as an example to their players/students over the next few years?

Watson last night became a verb.

Last edited:
Watson would have gotten to Bailey sooner if the ref didn't get in way.

i wanted to see that play minimum 10 times...
the play made by him is one of the best plays i ever saw

a true Patriot !!!

amazing, incredible...

just saw the play again on CBS pregame.... I am now convinced it should have been a touchback. What a play by Ben. if champ was holding the ball in the sideline side of his body, than it would have been at the one, but he was holding it on the play side and the pylon counts as the end zone.
too bad, but still great effort by ben and shows the class of not only him but his team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes