PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WalterFootball 5 Round Mock, 3/28: Still, Barron, Curry, Boykin, Childs, Paige-Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.

As Annie says to Crash in Bull Durham; "Oh my!!"
I think I love that draft. Well, at least the first four picks.

1a Devon Still - DE - PSU
1b Mark Barron - S - Alabama
2A Vinny Curry - OLB - Marshall
2b Brandon Boykin - CB - Georgia
3 Greg Childs - WR - Arkansas - He might be ok. But, Joe Adams and TY Hilton are available and they are burners who help in the return game. I'd go with one of them or Philip Blake - C - Baylor here.
4 Donte Paige-Moss - OLB - UNC - He's like the mole on a beautiful woman. I'm willing to overlook some things. Especially when not visible. Like the 4th Round.

4 Donte Paige-Moss - OLB - UNC - He's like the mole on a beautiful woman. I'm willing to overlook some things. Especially when not visible. Like the 4th Round.
I despise this selection in the fourth round especially considering the following collegiate football players are still on the board:

Cyrus Gray, RB
Matt McCants, OT (if Matt Light retires)
Brandon Taylor, S

Not a fan of WalterFootball at all. He bashes guys like McShay for doing terrible mocks, yet McShay ends up mocking more accurately when it's all said and done than he does. It seems like Walter makes his mocks just to get shock value and responses from people that visit his website.

not that i don't like the draft... i actually like the 1st 4 picks.

but the whole we pick still because now Haynesworth is gone there is a hole... our inside rush was actually fine last year. Now if the reasoning was, tis pick allows BB to move back to a 3-4 and have a guy who could turn out to be the 3-4 end we are looking for and be a sub rusher on 3rd downs... That is how i see Still.

As Annie says to Crash in Bull Durham; "Oh my!!"
I think I love that draft. Well, at least the first four picks.

1a Devon Still - DE - PSU
1b Mark Barron - S - Alabama
2A Vinny Curry - OLB - Marshall
2b Brandon Boykin - CB - Georgia
3 Greg Childs - WR - Arkansas - He might be ok. But, Joe Adams and TY Hilton are available and they are burners who help in the return game. I'd go with one of them or Philip Blake - C - Baylor here.

This is a really good mock. Lot of defense, which we desperately need.

With Brockers going to Tenn. seems to me BB could have done a little trade and gotten a stud without sacrificing much.

I have this theory that Walter has been reading this mboard. That is pretty much the ideal draft class, as we've been talking about it.

He bashes guys like McShay for doing terrible mocks, yet McShay ends up mocking more accurately when it's all said and done than he does.
After reading McShay's two round mock for the New England Patriots, I have lost all respect for the ESPN clown.

I have this theory that Walter has been reading this mboard. That is pretty much the ideal draft class, as we've been talking about it.

That's how I research my mocks (in part).

After reading McShay's two round mock for the New England Patriots, I have lost all respect for the ESPN clown.

Oh come on, he has a job to do. Part of it is to be knowledgeable about the players, teams needs and fits, but a big part of it is to lure readers to pay for insider with various scenarios that intrigue fans. If he keeps mocking the same guys to the same teams his employer won't be happy, it's just the nature of the beast.

This is a really good mock. Lot of defense, which we desperately need.

With Brockers going to Tenn. seems to me BB could have done a little trade and gotten a stud without sacrificing much.

Reiss reported recently that that some teams had questions about Brockers maturity in interviews. If that's true, do you think that pushes him down or off of the Pats draft board, or could it be seen as a good thing that maybe he'll slide to the Pats at 27?

Any draft where we get Barron and Childs can't be considered anything other than a gigantic win. Silatolu, McClellin, and Fleming going after we pick Curry and right before we pick Boykin would bother me. But picking DPM with McCants, (Jarius) Wright, and Hicks on the board would cause me to snap.

Any draft where we get Barron and Childs can't be considered anything other than a gigantic win. Silatolu, McClellin, and Fleming going after we pick Curry and right before we pick Boykin would bother me. But picking DPM with McCants, (Jarius) Wright, and Hicks on the board would cause me to snap.

Is Barron going to give us what we need in coverage? Given his recent injuries I want to scream whenever he's mocked to us in round 1.

Reiss reported recently that that some teams had questions about Brockers maturity in interviews. If that's true, do you think that pushes him down or off of the Pats draft board, or could it be seen as a good thing that maybe he'll slide to the Pats at 27?

Stop playing with my emotions!! :mad:

Is Barron going to give us what we need in coverage? Given his recent injuries I want to scream whenever he's mocked to us in round 1.

Drafting, in any sport, is a game of incomplete information, but from what I've seen, and that's alot (I have every Alabama game on DVD), he's as good in deep or zone coverage as anyone has been since Berry. He's also better than anyone in next years draft, and anyone on the current roster. His balls skills, and vertical reach are elite. Combine that with his skills against the run and he's as good a fit as any player in the draft.

Regarding his injuries, that's the only reason we even have a shot at him (I'm hoping).

Walter is an admitted Dolphins fan and as a result anything he has to say about any AFC East team or its players needs to be taken with a large grain of salt. If I recall correctly when he did his weekly picks last year he went against the Pats about eleven times in a row.

I have no problems w/ the first 3 picks, though I might swap Reyes for Still, and McClellin for Curry.
Childs is also a good value, and is the last of the WRs worthy of a top-100 selection.

However, I would def. take Trumaine Johnson at 63 instead of the try-hard midget Boykin;
and Paige-Moss is simply unacceptable as a 4th-rounder. There are at least 8 players more
deserving of that sopt, incl. 4 edge rushers.

Drafting, in any sport, is a game of incomplete information, but from what I've seen, and that's alot (I have every Alabama game on DVD), he's as good in deep or zone coverage as anyone has been since Berry. He's also better than anyone in next years draft, and anyone on the current roster. His balls skills, and vertical reach are elite. Combine that with his skills against the run and he's as good a fit as any player in the draft.

Regarding his injuries, that's the only reason we even have a shot at him (I'm hoping).

I agree with everything here except to add that Barron personifies the things BB likes from his players. He's purportedly very active in the film room, he leads the defense and secondary, has a great feel for the play as it develops and he will create turnovers. Add in his excellence against the run which BB sees as an important skillset and I'd be very surprised if he isn't high on our board come draft day.

Unfortunately, Barron will likely be high on someone else's board, too, although there are
a couple of mocks out there in which he's still available at 27.

Unfortunately, Barron will likely be high on someone else's board, too, although there are
a couple of mocks out there in which he's still available at 27.

I agree Barron will go too high for #27, but I don't really like him for FS. I think he's more of a tweener/SS. I like Trumaine lower down on the other side of #50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes