PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Views from New Orleans on Week 2 game vs Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
We are only two days away from the Pats-Saints game. Time to stop talking about the Chiefs, or start another Jacoby Brissett thread.

Here is an outlook on Sunday's game from the Big Easy. The comment section adds more relevant thoughts about the Saints.

Saints wide receiver corps preparing for challenge of facing Patriots cornerbacks

Wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr., who enters his 12 professional season, echoed Payton and added a complimentary comparison.

"I'd say it's a good duo outside of (Antonio) Cromartie and (Darrelle) Revis back in the day," wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. said. "Having two young guys like that that's ready to compete.

"They have a lot of range to them, plays the ball pretty well. You have to be refined in your routes and be able to get open."​

Malcolm Butler would've looked good in black and gold about now: First-and-10

Oh what could have been for the New Orleans Saints and Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler.

It's a deal that I, and many others, figured would happen this offseason. The Saints trading for Butler would have been the completion of a two-part mega trade between New England and New Orleans.

The Saints were salivating for cornerback help. Butler seemed like the perfect target. Sean Payton publicly stressed patience about nailing down a deal for the corner.

Days passed. Weeks passed. Nearly two months, and nothing.

I'm still not certain why a deal never occurred between the two clubs.

Maybe the Saints thought Butler's pending deal stood too rich for the team's taste. Maybe the Patriots asked for too much (I would have been fine giving No. 32 overall from the 2017 NFL Draft). Marshon Lattimore's availability at No. 11 overall wasn't guaranteed.​

The author also goes on to publish his thoughts about Saints GM Mickey Loomis, and lists an interesting history of trades between New Orleans and the Patriots,

Would the Saints beating the Patriots be a statement victory?

The New Orleans Saints on Monday lost their season opener for the fourth straight year. In all three of the previous seasons, the Saints lost their second game, too.

Plenty of fans are already labeling the 2017 team as being just like the others from 2014-16. The defense struggled mightily in a 29-19 Week 1 loss to the Minnesota Vikings, and panic among the fanbase would grow significantly if the Saints lose on Sunday to the New England Patriots at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome....

September has not been kind to the Saints in recent years. Since 2014, the team has gone just 1-10 in the opening month of the season, which explains some of the public panic after just one loss this year.

And history is not on the Saints' side as they prepare for a Patriots team that lost to the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 1 and hasn't been two games below .500 since a 1-3 start in 2001.

The Saints aren't thinking about their own history as they approach this game, but after falling to 0-2 each of the last three seasons, they know a win Sunday could end some of same old, same old talk.​

Tight ends have occasionally had big games against the Patriots, when the defense focuses on stopping a wide receiver.

Saints' Coby Fleener looking to continue making big plays following Monday night performance

One of the bright spots in the Saints 29-19 loss to the Minnesota Vikings was the play of tight end Coby Fleener. Fleener caught five passes for 54 yards and the Saints lone touchdown.

One of those grabs was a contested catch in between two defenders that went for a gain of 24 yards in the middle of the field.

"That's a key part of what I'm brought here to do --run down the middle of the field and make those catches," Fleener said. "That one was a 100 percent Drew... it was an amazing throw. Great ball placement."...

Payton, like Fleener, said he still felt there was more the tight end and the team could do to help the offense have a better showing than Monday night's performance which saw they Saints convert just four of 11 third down attempts.

With receiver Willie Snead out for two more games following a suspension, Payton said Fleener is one of the players on the team the Saints pay attention to how opposing teams match him up in hopes of getting him the ball in key situations.​

NFL picks vs. spread, Week 2: Trends collide in Patriots vs. Saints

Two trends collide when the New England Patriots meet the New Orleans Saints on Sunday at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

The Saints are 7-point underdogs against the defending Super Bowl champions. The Saints have never been larger home 'dogs in the Sean Payton-Drew Brees era.

The Saints are particularly dangerous in this rare role. It's only happened 10 times since 2006, and one of them was the 2006 season finale when Drew Brees and the rest of the starters played only one series to preserve themselves for the playoffs. If you exclude that game, the Saints are a gaudy 9-1 vs. the spread as home underdogs and 6-3 straight up.

The Patriots, meanwhile, enter the game off a shocking 42-27 home loss to Kansas City. Hell hath no fury like a Bill Belichick team scorned. Since 2001, the first season Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady joined forces, the Patriots are 38-11 (.776) in games where they lost the week before.

The Patriots have only lost two or more games in a row nine times in the Belchick-Brady era. Excluding the 2015 season finale when they rested their regulars, it's only happened once in the past four seasons.

Something has to give on Sunday....​

Patriots (-7) at Saints: Conventional wisdom points to a New England victory. The Patriots are 7-point favorites and have had a four-day advantage in preparation thanks to their Thursday night opener against Kansas City. But we all know the NFL often defies convention. I like the Saints to spring the upset and spoil Brandin Cooks' return to the Superdome. Drew Brees outduels Tom Brady in a classic shootout in front of an energized crowd for the Saints' home opener. The Patriots shockingly fall to 0-2 for the first time since 2001, Brady and Bill Belichick's first year together in New England. Saints 33, Patriots 31

NFL Picks Week 2: 'Chances are' New England sends Saints to 0-2

NEW ENGLAND over NEW ORLEANS, Sunday at noon​

Warning to all of those still optimistic about the Saints season: skip to the next pick. ... OK, the rest of you still with me? Let's play a little game of "What are the Chances?" Chances at least three-quarters of Who Dats who thought the defense's preseason performance had them excited about the 2017 season went to bed inebriated Monday night: 80 percent. Chances Adrian Peterson is still a Saint this time next year? 30 percent. Chances Sean Payton is still the coach of the Saints in Week 17? 50 percent. (That's probably optimistic if you're still a fan of Sean Payton.) Chances the Saints open the regular season 0-3 AGAIN: 80 percent. Chances the Saints win six or more games: 40 percent. Chances the Saints lose 11 or more games: 30 percent. Chances the Saints defeat New England on a short week when a pissed-off Patriots team comes to town on 10 days rest: 0.5 percent. Against the spread: Patriots minus-4.5. (I expect this to rise to about 6.5 to 7.5 by the weekend, and I still will take New England. Favorite pick against the spread.)​

Some Saints fans don't seem confident and post up a bunch of "sky is falling" hawt takes while others are more objective. Hmmm.... where have I seen that before? Anyways, I'm looking for the Pats to bounce back this week.

On To The Patriots - Page 3

Lol.

"On to the Patriots.......but first the liquor store.
icon_razz.gif
"

"No Strief, No Armstead, No Snead.

New England - 9 days to prepare after getting their ass waxed
New Orleans - 5 days to prepare with numerous injuries to starters

We're gonna get smoked."

"I am taking the over on Brady getting 7 TD's this game."

Those Saints fans don't realize our receiving corps resembles the 2013 game right now. Who we got? Cooks, Hogan, and Dorsett? Heck our front 7 is hurting a little too. Not quite as bad as 2013. But we can't sustain anymore injuries. And we need High back.

On the plus side we have a good secondary, and better tight end and RB options for this game compared to 2013.

Hogan is like the 2013 Edelman
Cooks is like the 2013 Amendola
Dorsett is the 2013 Dobson

Tough game to call. If Gronk is hurt this will be a close one. If not the
Pats should roll on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back