PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two things can be true:

The route running was pretty good today and Bourne is really coming up well .

Once we have Thornton and Parker come up we will start stretching everyone vertically . Boutte had his chances and unfortunately due to lack of experience narrowly missed on those big plays .

But we are getting there . The tight ends look solid. Offensive line was able to decently hold in against eagles front 7.

Guyz, we don't have Brady nor Gronk. This team is slowly finding it's feet. The offensive line hasn't played together apart from last 2 weeks.

If Boutte puts in 2 feet we all wood be talking about Superbowl aspirations.its the first game and considering the 16-0 deficit in q1 the team really rallied well .

Bourne, Henry and juju had drops.

Boutte 2 improper toe daps and juju drop caused 3 drives to stall.

We could have tried the field kick. So there are lots of ifs.

But considering what we did last year and the fact that we have new OC and trying to rev up confidence of Mac this was a good game .

Once we win a close game it will become a habit. This eagles defense is insane .first half we couldn't run and it rained hard causing Mac to throw more which was not his forte. We should have been conservative with our play call there.

The team looks extremely promising . The rookies are contributing m gonzo with pass breakup, white with his pass rish5, Douglas and Boutte with their catches and route running, Barringer with his booming punts, Mafi and sow on offensive line.

We will improve. Have patience . We don't need gunslingers. Mac touch on the ball and ball placement was impeccable . Not everyone can lay it perfectly in the middle or in the seam . Hang in folks . Good things will happen.

Yep. I think there was much more good than bad that came out of that game. The loss still sucked but Jones had a good game, and their defense played really well against a really talented offense. They are going to be able to run the ball, especially once they get Strange and Onyewu back, and having an actual offensive coordinator is making a a big difference already. The defense looks good, and they are fairly deep and versatile. They are going to have to continue to improve, and show up ready to play every week, but if they can do those things then they could become a good team. You don’t become a great team until you win a couple of Super Bowls, so I’ll be ok with good until those days come again.

After last year of watching the most boring lethargic Offense.
A team with no identity
Wondering in Mac regressed or was thrown to the wolves

Only one game, But what I seen today was a pretty solid Defense
I seen an Offense that looks like given some time to gel can be fun too watch
Mac is a decent QB. Time and familiarity will help. The biggest question mark is can he lead a game winning drive

Time will tell but I liked their fight and competitiveness today.

After last year of watching the most boring lethargic Offense.
A team with no identity
Wondering in Mac regressed or was thrown to the wolves

Only one game, But what I seen today was a pretty solid Defense
I seen an Offense that looks like given some time to gel can be fun too watch
Mac is a decent QB. Time and familiarity will help. The biggest question mark is can he lead a game winning drive

Time will tell but I liked their fight and competitiveness today.
It was much better than solid. That was the 3rd best offense in the league last year, and they held them to 250 yards. And they were on the field a TON outside of the 2nd quarter.

Last edited:
Before this game, with both guards out, a RT that just showed up, our #1 WR out, a starting CB just put on IR, playing 2 rookie guards and 2 rookie receivers, against maybe the best team in the league, I couldn't foresee us being this competitive. It was an outstanding performance, a coin-flip finish.

We've had years where we started 0-1 or 0-2 and ended up with a Lombardi, so losing G1 means nothing in terms of projecting this team for 2023. I'm very enthused about what we've got here. The critics can just move on to some other team to root for.

I hate to do this but...

We didn't get the better of the officiating calls, for sure. That was not a hold by Henry. There should have been an unsportsmanlike call on the guy that stood over Marcus. The holding call in the ez on Dugger was ticky tack, and then Bourne was interfered with shortly after and they didn't call that.

We didn't get the better of the officiating calls, for sure. That was not a hold by Henry. There should have been an unsportsmanlike call on the guy that stood over Marcus. The holding call in the ez on Dugger was ticky tack, and then Bourne was interfered with shortly after and they didn't call that.
All these calls lead to points (Dugger) or took points away (Henry). I thought the Bourne call was the right one. The defender has every right to the ball. He can make contact there. It's fine

It was much better than solid. That was the 3rd best defense in the league last year, and they held them to 250 yards. And they were on the field a TON outside of the 2nd quarter.
I get what your saying.
Let me change that to “what I seen today was a pretty solid, awesome, top ranked, wrecking ball Defense“

Just finished the game because I live in dumbass Broncos country and had to wait.

Did anyone notice that none of us noticed the OL???? The biggest concern coming into this season? We're talking about the Boutte play without realizing that Mac is used to getting demolished before he takes his eyes off of Andrews' ass.

The Eagles deserved to win because we had more stupid turnovers than them.

I wish I had the chance to be part of the GameDay thread just to see who thought the season was over before the half.

We have a good team.

Just finished the game because I live in dumbass Broncos country and had to wait.

Did anyone notice that none of us noticed the OL???? The biggest concern coming into this season? We're talking about the Boutte play without realizing that Mac is used to getting demolished before he takes his eyes off of Andrews' ass.

The Eagles deserved to win because we had more stupid turnovers than them.

I wish I had the chance to be part of the GameDay thread just to see who thought the season was over before the half.

We have a good team.
Oh, I think you know who they are.

Mac Jones is 0-12 when the other team scores 25.

He has no signature win, he has no signature moment, he can't make plays to win games.
I agree Mac is one of the weak links on this team. Watching the game today I decided upgrading QB is likely to be BB’s priority in the off-season, if not sooner. Definitely expect he will draft a QB next year. Maybe two, if the cards fall right. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him bring in a veteran this year if opportunity is there.

I’ve been a Mac fan, would still love to see him get it together and prove me wrong. But he looks out of sync to me, like he’s not sure whether to zip the ball or try to finesse the touch, and he doesn’t get either right. Maybe some success to build confidence would help. Hopefully he’ll get some of that. But I’m not confident he can make it happen on his own, and that’s enough of an indictment for me to look for some other QB as the long term future.

The best thing about today's game?

Watching the offense actually look like it was trying to play to the strengths of the team. It honestly seemed like a gameplan designed to show how clueless Patricia was.

Heavy on Bourne who Patricia froze out. Heavy on TEs, who Patricia had no clue how to use. Heavy on quick, timing plays, which somehow Patricia did not understand worked well with a rhythm, pocket passer like Jones.

I agree Mac is one of the weak links on this team. Watching the game today I decided upgrading QB is likely to be BB’s priority in the off-season, if not sooner. Definitely expect he will draft a QB next year. Maybe two, if the cards fall right. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him bring in a veteran this year if opportunity is there.

I’ve been a Mac fan, would still love to see him get it together and prove me wrong. But he looks out of sync to me, like he’s not sure whether to zip the ball or try to finesse the touch, and he doesn’t get either right. Maybe some success to build confidence would help. Hopefully he’ll get some of that. But I’m not confident he can make it happen on his own, and that’s enough of an indictment for me to look for some other QB as the long term future.

Yes Mac is still out of sync, but not too much of sync and I assume that will improve. Footwork was better, timing was better, pocket presence was better, and overall better.

I agree he still needs to zip it sometimes and Mac's long ball needs improvement. We will see if Mac can get over the hump.

The defense is really good, potentially great but that remains to be seen. We just need a decent offense and our head coach to make proper football decisions.

I was encouraged by Mac’s performance today. There were some real iffy moments but I don’t recall the last time he threw 3 TDs all of which were quick, confident drives that he led.

I don't care, I can't stand it!!

I don't care, I can't stand it!!

Hard to believe that was nine years ago. You have to think a lot of the CLs around might not know who/what that was.

Outside of the Q1 mistake Mac was outstanding. Henry and Bourne both had a big drop and Boutte misplayed the sideline twice.. If it weren't for a dumb coaches decision (no FG) there's a good chance we win this game.
I note that the Corky Club is even more strident than usual tonight -- Mac's obvious improvement from last year has them running a little scared methinks.

Before this game, with both guards out, a RT that just showed up, our #1 WR out, a starting CB just put on IR, playing 2 rookie guards and 2 rookie receivers, against maybe the best team in the league, I couldn't foresee us being this competitive. It was an outstanding performance, a coin-flip finish.

We've had years where we started 0-1 or 0-2 and ended up with a Lombardi, so losing G1 means nothing in terms of projecting this team for 2023. I'm very enthused about what we've got here. The critics can just move on to some other team to root for.
And they didn't collapse when they were down 16 points in the first quarter. I can't stomach the game day thread, but I'm sure the usual suspects were chortling about a blow out loss -- which is indeed what usually happens when you spot a great team that many points.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back