PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two questions for a slow Saturday (5/9):

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you overate Seattle I don’t see them as much different than philly.
The afc games are easier with Pitt Cleveland Cincinnati replaced by 3 losers, Denver lv and SD.

Seattle : 11-5 in the toughest division. Philadelphia: 9-7 in the worst division. We’ll hafta disagree if you say that’s not much different

Seattle : 11-5 in the toughest division. Philadelphia: 9-7 in the worst division. We’ll hafta disagree if you say that’s not much different
Seattle win a couple of games they probably deserved to lose and it’s 2020 Seattle compared to 2019 philly. By this argument 2019 was harder because the 2018 cowboys were 13-3.
We will see how it turns out.

Seattle and sf are considerably tougher games than any given nfce games last year. I’d peg those as probable losses based on how we performed against good teams last year.

I don't see comparisons to last year as fair. Last year the Pats lost their starting C in the beginning, had no TE's, no healthy veteran WRs once Kraft dumped AB and lost both of their blocking FBs. With all of the issues they had last year the Pats could be better this year.

Seattle win a couple of games they probably deserved to lose and it’s 2020 Seattle compared to 2019 philly. By this argument 2019 was harder because the 2018 cowboys were 13-3.

Dallas was 10-6 in 2018. Of course there’s always the possibility of variance, but the nfc east was an absolute joke last year and it’s hard to see Seattle falling THAT far. We have never had an easy time against Wilson and that’s unlikely to change this year.

I don't see comparisons to last year as fair. Last year the Pats lost their starting C in the beginning, had no TE's, no healthy veteran WRs once Kraft dumped AB and lost both of their blocking FBs. With all of the issues they had last year the Pats could be better this year.

Could be better, could be worse. Same with every team on the schedule. But to make an educated guess that this years schedule being tougher when you replace a joke division with what should still be 2 very good teams is a pretty safe bet imo.

I'm ready to see 5-11. Yikes, or worse. I think we'll see 10-6. I permit myself hope for 12-4. A lot depends on the Qb position.

Dallas was 10-6 in 2018. Of course there’s always the possibility of variance, but the nfc east was an absolute joke last year and it’s hard to see Seattle falling THAT far. We have never had an easy time against Wilson and that’s unlikely to change this year.
The 2019 Patriots non divisional opponents included 6 teams coming off winning records. The 2020 Patriots non divisional opponents include 6 teams coming off winning records.
The tough schedule mantra is being blown out of proportion.

The 2019 Patriots non divisional opponents included 6 teams coming off winning records. The 2020 Patriots non divisional opponents include 6 teams coming off winning records.
The tough schedule mantra is being blown out of proportion.

Saying that 2 of the nfc games should be tougher this year is not blowing things out of proportion and that is all that I have claimed here.

Other than that, if we are to assume all our afc opponents will be same or worse than last year, sure that could even that out some. To me the safest bet is afc opponents difficulty will be around the same, some will be better and some will be worse. The nfce last year however was an anomaly which we benefitted from, and even if the nfcw isn’t as strong this year as last it will undoubtedly be tougher.

Dallas actually had a high ranked offense and defense compared to Seattle in 2019.

I think the main difference is Wilson vs Prescott.

I'm ready to see 5-11. Yikes, or worse. I think we'll see 10-6. I permit myself hope for 12-4. A lot depends on the Qb position.
Ha Ha, with all that you can come back after the season and say, " see I told you"

The only QB Stidham is definitely better than is Trubisky

That’s not a nod to his talents but just how absolutely terrible Trubisky is.

Darnold plays for the JEST, though, so that automatically drops him below Stidham, too.

Ha Ha, with all that you can come back after the season and say, " see I told you"

Pretty much covered for all contingencies ;D

1.) Had Brady resigned with the Patriots in mid-March for a contract averaging 25M annually vs. the cap, how good do you think the team would be in 2020? (Assuming that the 13.5M dead money was absorbed by the new contract somehow and still gave us a cap # of 25M for Brady)

For me, I think if we did this...we would have definitely without doubt traded Thuney and drafted similarly. I think the Patriots would still be a 12-4 team even with the tough schedule...but would they have been underdogs to the Chiefs/Ravens in the AFC? I say yes...and they would still need to win 3 playoff games to get to Tampa Bay with likely 1-2 of those on the road. So, my guess...a divisional round exit on the road or an AFC title game exit on the road...depending on how many home games we got in the 7 team AFC format, but definitely no BYE.

2.) Which of the 32 starting quarterbacks in the NFL would you unquestionably rank above Jarrett Stidham? (With Stidham maxing out his potential based on your belief, not track record).

Here's my list (In order):
Mahomes
Brady
Wilson
Watson
Jackson
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Brees
Ryan
===========

Guys I still find questionable (sketchy play or showed promise..but not consistently), unknown (rookie or injured), and/or think Stidham could out perform.

In order of divisions:

Darnold
Allen
Tagovalia/Fitzpatrick
Mayfield
Burrow
Tannehill
Minshew
Rivers
Herbert/Taylor
Carr
Lock
Prescott
Wentz
Haskins/Allen
Jones
Trubisky/Foles
Cousins
Stafford
Bridgewater
Goff
Murray
Garoppolo

Add Tua, Mayfield, JimmyG, Murray, Goff, Prescott, Carr, Mayfield, Burrow for me. So that's 18 guys I think I'd rather have for sure than Stidham. How can you rank Stidham over some QBs that have taken their teams to a Superbowl before.

Can't rank Stidham. He's unknown. You can hope stuff for Stidham. Same with Tua or anybody else who hasn't played.

Seems way back when I heard Mariota's name a lot. Fill in your favorite "meh" quarterback here, or laugh at favorite blue chip who totally flamed out.

This is simpler when your football ego's smaller.

When you accept that smart people who know football better get paid to evaluate talent for a living, and they're no good at it, I can extrapolate that, for me, a policy of "wait and see" is indicated. But I'm no fun, you guys saw how much room I left in my "prediction" for the season, above.

I mean, I just can't get all excited about pretending I know what I don't. Sign of old age I guess.

Add Tua, Mayfield, JimmyG, Murray, Goff, Prescott, Carr, Mayfield, Burrow for me. So that's 18 guys I think I'd rather have for sure than Stidham. How can you rank Stidham over some QBs that have taken their teams to a Superbowl before.

The guys that went to the SB that I ranked below Stidham: Foles, Wentz (technically), Goff, and Garopollo.

Foles had a great game against us which will always eat at me, but if you re-watch that game A LOT had to go right and it was a terrible tackling day by our D. As for Goff ...he was late on a toss to Cooks that JMac knocked away and Garoppolo missed a wide open Sanders late in SB 54. Just that those guys still have "questions" with Stidham being a total unknown. My ranking was for guys who were UNQUESTIONABLY better than Stidham. For everyone below Stidham, I could make a case...however weak...but make a case nonetheless.

Ranking Stidham among the 32 is as pointless as predicting individual wins and losses based on a released schedule. In both cases there is close to zero relevant information to go on.

Lets circle back to that after the season is done.

Man, it's the off-season. In January, feel free to dig this back up and mock me....I won't care because we'll be in position to trade up to grab Lawrence if I am completely wrong. Win win.

Man, it's the off-season. In January, feel free to dig this back up and mock me....I won't care because we'll be in position to trade up to grab Lawrence if I am completely wrong. Win win.

I am not mocking anyone. Obviously everyone is free to speculate but I just have no idea what to base any speculation on. His 4 attempts in the regular season and whatever else he did in camp will not tell you anything about where he is now after a year of development.

All we know is that he has not disqualified himself yet.

Lawrence is a pipe dream imo. The Patriots probably won't be anywhere near bad enough to get the 1-seed and I doubt they'd be willing to pay a fortune to get the pick.

Lawrence is a pipe dream imo. The Patriots probably won't be anywhere near bad enough to get the 1-seed and I doubt they'd be willing to pay a fortune to get the pick.

I think the Patriots need to finish 5-11 at minimum to have the necessary draft capital to move up. A 5-11 record would probably get the Patriots a pick in the #5-#7 range...and possibly 2 teams with established rookie QB's (Miami, Cincinnati, LA Chargers, etc..) could finish with the top 2 picks and be willing to deal out of the top spot.

Not necessarily a pipe dream....but a lot needs to break our way...given the choice between Stidham being StUdham or Lawrence...I opt for the former.

We could add to the usual uncertainty, uncertainty that they even like him. Until/unless the depth chart changes, all we know is they like him more than Hoyer as the starter. For an extra level of crazy, if they are tanking, mebbe they like him LESS than Hoyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back