PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade ? for 2 #1's in 07...

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaB,
Won't one of the lower potential picks be offset by the Pats' signing of UFA Caldwell?

i don't know what is more ridiculous, the original post or the people telling everyone else to stop chiding the guy who posted this.

Let's think about this for a minute. The Pats love draft picks. The Pats hate overpaying for players. In the free agent market you typically (almost always) overpay. So lets get rid of two highly prized commodities for the right to overpay a guy. Brilliant!

The only time this makes any sense is if a Manning/Brady/Palmer is available, and the Pats are set at QB for awhile. Or if you're the Redskins.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
i don't know what is more ridiculous, the original post or the people telling everyone else to stop chiding the guy who posted this.

Let's think about this for a minute. The Pats love draft picks. The Pats hate overpaying for players. In the free agent market you typically (almost always) overpay. So lets get rid of two highly prized commodities for the right to overpay a guy. Brilliant!

The only time this makes any sense is if a Manning/Brady/Palmer is available, and the Pats are set at QB for awhile. Or if you're the Redskins.

Is a qb the only positional player in the league worth 2 1st round picks?
Late one's at that. There are many players worth 2 late #1's. Some are at
positions we don't need the help. OL and DL. But, there a lot of great players
out there.

patsfaninpa said:
Late one's at that. There are many players worth 2 late #1's. Some are at
positions we don't need the help. OL and DL. But, there a lot of great players
out there.

Or to put it another way...

-As the #1 draft pick, Mario Williams signed a 6-year, $54-million contract. For reference, Richard Seymour signed a 4-year, $30-million extension.

-Williams has never played a down in the NFL. The Texans can only dream that maybe someday he'll come close to the level of, say, a Richard Seymour.

-By the standard draft value chart, the #1 pick is worth five late-first picks.

So somebody tell me again why a team would be stupid to spend two late firsts to sign a Seymour type to a big contract?

patsfaninpa said:

No. Dallas obviously got alot for a RB in Hershel Walker. Iron Mike also traded a hell of a lot for the rights to another RB in Ricky Williams.

Here's a couple of trades that worked out pretty good.

John Elway to Balt - C.Hinton(Denver's nr 1 in 83) and another #1+Mherrman
for Elway(Balt 1st pick in 83)

Cornelius Bennett - Indy couldn't sign him and dealt him to Buffalo
for two nr 1's and a two. Not bad eh?

patman52 said:
First, Boldin would not be a RFA where the most Arizona could get is a 1 and a three. God, If seattle thought Branch was worth a 1, and 6.5 a year. Imagine what they think Boldin is worth.

I am not sure but Arizona I think would still have the right to match any offer if he was tagged with the franschise designation.

I think Micheal Lewis will be a target next year, especially if Wilson continues to whiff. With LB like Antuan Peek and Fletcher targets at LB..

lewis is playing worse than wilson right now..1eagle fan said we can have himlol because he blows in coverage

patsfaninpa said:
Would have to be a young proven
veteran. Orlando Pace and
Walter Jones would be two examples of the types of players I'm talking
about.

Legitimate question on this thread, even if many would rather not make such a move.

My question is, Why cite Pace and Jones as YOUNG when both are already in their 30s?

If either the Pats or Seattle #1 pic ends up around #19 in Rd 1, I'd trade that for a 2nd & 3rd in'07.

patsfaninpa said:
Here's a couple of trades that worked out pretty good.

John Elway to Balt - C.Hinton(Denver's nr 1 in 83) and another #1+Mherrman
for Elway(Balt 1st pick in 83)

Cornelius Bennett - Indy couldn't sign him and dealt him to Buffalo
for two nr 1's and a two. Not bad eh?

I really don't want to pick apart the Elway trade too much just because he's one of the greatest QBs I've ever seen play, but I think a case can be made that Denver would have been serious contenders had they kept one of the first picks and had drafted Marino instead or even Kelly for that matter.

The Bennett trade, I have very little recollection other than that he was part of the infamous Eric ****erson trade that proved to be so disasterous for the Colts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe