PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trade Compensatory selections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamanai

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I understand that the rule is that you cannot trade compensatory selections. But why not - what is the logic?

Suppose the Pats (or some other team for that matter) wanted to "trade" a compensatory selection. Could they work some kind of deal whereas the Pats select a player for another team, and subsequently trade him for "future considerations" - aka, a future draft pick or player...? I guess the question is: Can you trade the rights to a player?

Example: Pats 3rd round compensatory pick comes up. Another team (KC) really wants some player X. Pioli calls BB to chat and the next thing you know someone is announcing that the "with the 96th selection, the NE Patriots have selected Player X". Applause. Some time goes by (three weeks?, two rounds?, 0:45 seconds ?) and the teams announce that the rights to Player X have been traded to KC for a 2010 3rd round selection. Legit? Likely to incur the wrath of Goddell? Groundbreaking?

Last edited:
I like the idea, but doesn't the player have to be under contract before a team can trade him? That would mean both (or all three) sides would have to come to an agreement first, plus it could not include a signing bonus for salary cap purposes.

I like the idea, but doesn't the player have to be under contract before a team can trade him? That would mean both (or all three) sides would have to come to an agreement first, plus it could not include a signing bonus for salary cap purposes.

Is it possible to trade the "rights" to the player instead ? This eliminates the contract/bonus mess.

Is it possible to trade the "rights" to the player instead ? This eliminates the contract/bonus mess.

You can trade the "rights" to the player as this is what occurred in 2004 when the Chargers drafted Manning and the Giants drafted Rivers and then traded the rights to Rivers and a bunch of draft choices to the Chargers for the rights to Manning. I don't know if there are special rules about trading the "rights" to a player drafted with a compensatory pick though.

Last edited:
Can't find the exact language, but I'd bet that the NFL would not allow the trading of a compensatory pick's rights. I imagine that they would forbid the trade before it could happen.

Makes those picks seem more important, because teams have to take that guy.

Can't find the exact language, but I'd bet that the NFL would not allow the trading of a compensatory pick's rights. I imagine that they would forbid the trade before it could happen.

Makes those picks seem more important, because teams have to take that guy.

More important problem with this--the rookie cap allotment goes to the team that drafts a player, not the team that signs the player. Thus, SD got the #1 cap allotment and the Giants the #4 allotment when the Rivers/Manning trade went down. So, under your scenario, the team trading for him would have to find the room to sign him without being given extra rookie cap space to do so.

Going back to one of my original questions, is there a good reason you cannot trade those picks?

Going back to one of my original questions, is there a good reason you cannot trade those picks?

Fundamentally, I see no reason not to allow it.

But the "logic" behind that rule goes something like this: "You lost a free agent, so we're giving you this extra pick you wouldn't otherwise have to help replace him. Since it's a gift, we're not going to let you trade it."

No good reason that I'm aware of--all they are doing is creating a situation where team's may be forced to take a player when they don't see good value. That can't benefit anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes