PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady and the Boston Sports Pantheon

Status
Not open for further replies.
brady is up there but hes third at best. hes far to Hollywood to be has beloved as larry legend. larry was and is a everyday mans man. blue collar hard working sob.

Concur.

The typical blue collar fan can never really relate to Brady, his supermodel wife, their mansions, Uggs, Vitamin Water, and Under Armor.

In fact, I think the average blue collar fan, while liking Brady, and appreciating his accomplishments, sees him as a self-absorbed, aloof, elitist, corporate snob.

It is what it is. :cool:

Last edited:
Concur.

The typical blue collar fan can never really relate to Brady, his supermodel wife, their mansions, Uggs, Vitamin Water, and Under Armor.

In fact, I think the average blue collar fan, while liking Brady, and appreciating his accomplishments, sees him as a self-absorbed, aloof, elitist, corporate snob.

It is what it is. :cool:

Are you yet another Jets fan posing as a Pats fan?

What you described may be true outside of New England, but that's hardly an accurate description for what the target of this thread is, fans of the four New England sports teams.

I have yet to come across a fan of the Pats that views Brady in the terms you just described.

My friend, you need to read more carefully.

The post contained the phrase "the average blue collar fan", not "the average Pats fan."

Do you understand the difference?

The post contained the phrase "the average blue collar fan", not "the average Pats fan."

They need to see the Brady Six espn special to view how hard he had to work to be where he is now.

But the discussion was about how New England fans view these players - not the national audience.

Simmons' basketball book does a great job breaking down Russell V. Wit. You may not agree with his conclusions but it's worth the read if you haven't read it.

Ad how many players mentioned in this thread were ever traded? How about twice like Wilt was?

Athletes
Bill Russell
Tim Thomas
Larry Bird
Tom Brady
Rocky Marciano

Coaches/Owners
Red Auerbach
Bill Belichick
Terry Francona
Doc Rivers
Bob Kraft

Who cares? Its a Pantheon. Gods. Bigger than life. 50 years from now, who makes the list from among those alive today or from the television era?

It's the guys who changed the game or Boston sports forever: Rocky Marciano, Russell, Brady, Bird, Belichick, Auerbach, Bob Kraft.

Only read the first page, but isn't Marciano from Providence?

NVM, just looked it up.

Last edited:
Looking at each player and how they rank all time within their sport.....

1) Orr will be rememembered as the 2nd greatest hockey player of all time behind Gretzky.

You may be right that Orr will be "remembered" as the 2nd greatest behind Gretzky, but that doesn't mean that people who remember him as #2 are correct.

Orr won the Defenseman of the year trophy at the same time he was finishing 1st or 2nd in the league in scoring. Orr played a brief career due to knee injuries that could have been extended by current medical techniques, but dominated at a time when the league was smaller and his teams played against Hall of Famers on every opposing team.

Orr may also be the most humble player who achieved an amazing level of greatness.

Sorry, but there is no discussion of who is the best hockey player ever - it's Bobby Orr, everyone else can debate #2 and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simmons' basketball book does a great job breaking down Russell V. Wit. You may not agree with his conclusions but it's worth the read if you haven't read it.

Ad how many players mentioned in this thread were ever traded? How about twice like Wilt was?

Indeed Simmons did an excellent job on breaking down the Wilt vs. Russell argument. What jumped out at me was how when the two faced off against each other, Russell's stats were above his season (or career...I forget which) averages while Wilt's came down in comparison.

Anyway, great book and great chapter in particular. Shameless plug ends here.

Regards,
Chris

Ted Williams is one of the GoATs who lifetime achievements demand a pass for not winning championships. Not winning a championship in baseball should not be looked upon as harshly as other sports. He played on some bad Sox teams in the 50s.

Orr is the 2nd or 3rd greatest hockey player of all-time (Gretzky, Howe) and energized a region.

Bird also re-energized interest in basketball for an region and a league for that matter. Championships, determination, etc.

Brady is one of the Top 5 QBs of all-time. Arguably top 10 players in NFL history.

Russell was the greatest rebounder, shotblocker, defensive player and pure TEAMMATE in NBA history. Winning 11 championships in a 13 year career is obscene.

Ok Now you are talking as I go way back.

1st- Williams was better than any yankee except Mantle. Most people don't know
we has in the sevice for 5 yrs or He may have had the home run record.
His problem was the rest of team was not very good. Best pure hitter I ever seen.

Russell for sure over Wilt. Of course Wilt was physically stronger and a amazing player but all Bill did was win
like others have said.1 Olympic Gold Medal and 2 NCAA Championships tell me a lot.
P.S. Anyone rember K.C.Jones. He was with with Russell at S.F. in collage as well.

Brady has to be there in football but he doesn't have much to complete with.
Heck, I remember my brother taking me to a game and it was at B.U. or Havard
as they didn't have a real home stadium. Our football history lags the other sports.

Hockey. I sat in the gallery god section b4 Orr and a old timer told me...Dont worry son we have this player named Orr coming next year. He was right! #1

Honerable mention Johnny Most . No Other announcer in Boston history will be remebered like him.
I was listening live with my brother when he said
Havlicek stole the ball! oh my Havlicek stole the ball!
I will never forget that.

Orr without question is number 1. Pedro is 2nd. I have never seen a pitcher dominate like Pedro did.

Bobby Orr is arguably the best hockey player of all time and is #1 in my book. To twice lead the NHL as the scoring leader as a defenseman is incomprehensible. He averaged better than a +1 (plus/minus) over all his games on the ice (Gretzky was .5 something for comparison). No one in the history of the NHL is close to that statistic (which didn't even exist when he was playing). He revolutionized the game. He was defensive MVP every year he played when he could skate - and there was never anyone who was a close second. He was the most exciting player of his era and arguably the most exciting player ever seen in the NHL. He created the hockey craze in New England.

Other than that, he was just a really good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes