PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts On The Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
This.

Brady has always had a quick read progression/release. Stidham is sort of a sidearm thrower which takes up more space in the pocket.

Then there's the need for a running game.....

No OL...we have no chance to be competitive.

If it were up to me:

1.) Sign Thuney long term to reduce his cap #.
2.) Have Cannon take a haircut or trade him. IMO, he's good....but we are rebuilding now, IMO.
3.) Draft two more OL-men...one interior and one tackle.

As for Andrews....the fact that the Pats were offering Karras modest money and the fact that Karras bolted to Miami is good news in regards to how both parties expected Andrews to be 100% come training camp, IMO.

I expect Wynn to be a lot better in year "2". Mason needs to be better too.

Watched a lot of film on josh jones of Houston.

He appears to have helium in this draft, but if he is available at 23, bb might consider him.

On the inside, I assume Ruiz will be available at 23, but that seems too high for bb.

However in the third round, there will be many choices.

biabasz from Wisconsin, Simpson from Clemson and Hennessy from temple have some really good tape and seem like the best fits for us. Also Cervecka from Clemson can play guard or center if we decide to wait until day 3.

if the Medicals in biadasz are not 100 percent, Hennessy might not be a bad option.

Watched a lot of film on josh jones of Houston.

He appears to have helium in this draft, but if he is available at 23, bb might consider him.

On the inside, I assume Ruiz will be available at 23, but that seems too high for bb.

However in the third round, there will be many choices.

biabasz from Wisconsin, Simpson from Clemson and Hennessy from temple have some really good tape and seem like the best fits for us. Also Cervecka from Clemson can play guard or center if we decide to wait until day 3.

if the Medicals in biadasz are not 100 percent, Hennessy might not be a bad option.
Yeah it all depends on Andrews' health: if he's as fit now as he was before his clots, then Bill should look for an OT first...If there are any lingering concerns, then he should look for a C/G...
Either way, I would still like to see an OLman added (a good one this time Billy, not like the rancid garbage from 2 of the last 3 drafts), preferably by no later than #125...

Yeah it all depends on Andrews' health: if he's as fit now as he was before his clots, then Bill should look for an OT first...If there are any lingering concerns, then he should look for a C/G...
Either way, I would still like to see an OLman added (a good one this time Billy, not like the rancid garbage from 2 of the last 3 drafts), preferably by no later than #125...

taking josh jones at 23 would not be a bad thing per se, but would probably mean 2020 is cannon’a last year with us.

OT
We need one early, independent of the need at center. We won't use a first or second on a center.

OG/C
The are 3 issues, one for each of our starters: Thuney's contract status, Andrews' health, and Mason's health (and also Froholdt's health).

Personally, I would think that we will draft both a backup and a backup guard.
Depending of what the team judges about the starters, we might need to use 2 thirds or a 3rd and a 4th.
=======
Yes, we will at help at WR and TE, but solidifying the OL is what is needed for future success.

1) OT
We need one early, independent of the need at center. We won't use a first or second on a center.

2) OG/C
The are 3 issues, one for each of our starters: Thuney's contract status, Andrews' health, and Mason's health (and also Froholdt's health).

3) Personally, I would think that we will draft both a backup and a backup guard.
Depending of what the team judges about the starters, we might need to use 2 thirds or a 3rd and a 4th.
=======
4) Yes, we will at help at WR and TE, but solidifying the OL is what is needed for future success.
1) Depends on how Bill feels about Yawndy...hope it's not the same as he felt about Stork, Tre Jackson, Boney Tony, McDermott...

2) Again, depends on how Bill feels about Frodo...I suspect he had more a case of the Foxborough Flu than anything else...

3) With a full dozen draft picks at his disposal, there is no excuse whatsoever for Bill NOT to draft At Least 2 OLmen - a C/G and an OT - this year...The question then becomes: how early does he use a pick on the first one?

See this is what I'm thinking: unless Bill has already come to the likely inevitable conclusion that both Yawndy & Frodo are already completely lost causes, then at least he has something with which to work on the OL, including possibly all 5 returning starters...At both WR & Especially TE, he has literally Nothing there...We are in serious need of not only depth at those positions, but Starters there as well...and Impact Starters if we are to remain competitive...and the place to increase your odds of finding those players is within the top 100 picks...That is why, if nothing whatsoever else, we MUST come out of Days 1 & 2 with One WR AND One TE...

Edit/p.s.: All of this is not to say that I want a WR or TE at 23 (or wherever our first pick happens to be) either...In fact I don't see the value at WR unless Jeudy falls there which ain't happenin' anyway; and there is No TE worth #23 either...I'll be looking instead at LBs Ken Murray & Zach Baun, another position at which we are Bereft of youth & athleticism...but if Bill wanted to draft either Cesar Ruiz or Joshua Jones, that certainly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either...but afterwards comes LB, WR & TE...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey