PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thomas Dimitroff named Sporting News Executive of the year; Scott Pioli 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Sellers

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
SN's NFL Executive of the year is Thomas Dimitroff, Atlanta Falcons GM - NFL - Sporting News

Since Thomas Dimitroff became Atlanta’s general manager in 2008, the Falcons have been to the playoffs twice and won more games than in any three-year stretch in team history. Solid drafts (Matt Ryan), trades (Tony Gonzalez) and free-agent signings (Michael Turner) have the Falcons set to be contenders for the foreseeable future.

For those reasons, Dimitroff, 44, has been voted Sporting News executive of the year in a poll of NFL G.M.s, assistant G.M.s, owners, personnel men and head coaches. “I am very humbled to be named the executive of the year by my peers,” he says. “It means a lot to receive this award, but there were a number of general managers that were deserving of the honor. Ozzie Newsome and Scott Pioli, in particular, did tremendous jobs this season.”

Dimitroff, whose dad, Tom Sr., played in the AFL, coached in the CFL and scouted in the NFL, comes by his humility the hard way: He has earned it. In addition to jobs with the Lions, the Chiefs, the old Browns, the new Browns and the Patriots before the Falcons, Dimitroff worked in the Canadian Football League, the World League of American Football and a corporate football league in Japan.

Dimitroff wants positive, passionate, persevering people to play, coach and work for the Falcons. He needed those three attributes to get where he is today. “It’s not all about off-the-charts intelligence or unbelievable creativity,” he says.
New England Patriots

National scout, 2002

Director of college scouting, 2003-07

“I had an opportunity to take everything I learned as a child through my dad, all of his tutoring over the years about the importance of team and the team concept. I had an opportunity to see Scott (Pioli) and Bill (Belichick) put it into effect and see a team come to life. What I learned in New England was invaluable in that way and set the tone for my career going forward.”

Atlanta Falcons

General manager, 2008-present

“(Coach) Mike Smith and I set out at the very beginning to focus on a three-year plan, to acquire through the draft and free agency, and get to a spot by the third year to be a significant player, air quotes, in the National Football League. … We stay philosophically consistent. We’re very particular about trying not, as much as possible, to be moved by emotional, off-the-cuff decisions.”

What’s next:

“No question we have some tweaks to make going forward. We need to be more explosive in a number of ways. We were very low in the explosive play category on our offense. … The whole package, I’m very encouraged by where we are after three years. Encouraged but not satisfied. There’s definitely a fire burning in my belly as well as Coach Smith’s and (owner) Arthur Blank’s. We have a lot more to accomplish to live up to our expectations.”

About the voting

Sporting News surveyed 47 NFL G.M.s, assistant G.M.s, owners, personnel men and head coaches for the executive of the year. Dimitroff received 13 votes, Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli came in second with eight, and Buccaneers G.M. Mark Dominik was third with seven.

Read more: SN's NFL Executive of the year is Thomas Dimitroff, Atlanta Falcons GM - NFL - Sporting News

How can anyone win this award from the Patriots if they don't have an official GM to award it to? We all know Belichick is the coach and probably has a ton of say in all of football operations. Nick Caserio is Director of player personal. But does not hold the title of gm. Floyd Reese is Senior Footbal advisor.

I have no problem with the voting. I thought all 3 candidates did a fine job. We fans appreciate our front office, especially after last seasons draft which I do think was the best of all the NFL. But to not even be mentioned in the voting was kind of suprising considering the job they did.

I missed this on the first read:

Cleveland Browns

Grounds crew, 1993

“I was working on the grounds crew during the day. At night, I would spend time watching film, evaluating players. The other thing that is not widely known: During that time, when Bill Belichick was our head coach (and) my dad was on that staff, I was not only doing the grounds crew during the day -- Kansas City hired me. Well, I can’t even say hired me. But I was being used by Kansas City as a very, very part-time scout in the Ohio and Pennsylvania area. Friday and Saturday I’d be out scouting for another team, while during the week I was working on the Browns’ grounds crew. It wouldn’t fly today in our building, I can tell you that. I wouldn’t let someone who was also working for another organization within a mile of our building.

They should have just given the GM award to the Patriots. The holy trinity get the job done nicely. Though we will probably get accused of cheating because of the collaborative effort.

Indirectly it speaks quite a bit about BB...

How can anyone win this award from the Patriots if they don't have an official GM to award it to? We all know Belichick is the coach and probably has a ton of say in all of football operations. Nick Caserio is Director of player personal. But does not hold the title of gm. Floyd Reese is Senior Footbal advisor.

I have no problem with the voting. I thought all 3 candidates did a fine job. We fans appreciate our front office, especially after last seasons draft which I do think was the best of all the NFL. But to not even be mentioned in the voting was kind of suprising considering the job they did.
Pioli won this award at least twice while with NE. :cool:

Pioli was never a GM here and won it twice. The head of personnel whether it is an official GM, VP of personnel, or Director of Personnel always win it. It is the responsibility, not the title.

As to the first and second place winners, Belichick's front office tree is far more successful than his coaching tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3