PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is an all too familiar feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

cartmen

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
The year after a SB visit we dont make the playoffs due to a tie with another Div team beating up on Favre and we are on the outside looking in. Our D was the big weakness back then and it was this year. Anyone remember what BB and SP did that year. I feel bad for the AFC east next year. I feel another Rodney type signing coming on :rocker:

Last edited:
Your point is well taken. I hope they find another Rodney type this year not to mention I hope Rodney comes back.

But you can say you feel bad for the rest of the AFC east every year as regardless of what happened the year before you can be sure that BB is not sitting there content, he is always trying to improve his team and has proven to be really good at it.

Let's hope that similar to 2002, we make some HUGE shocking moves in the off season which set us up for two more Superbowl runs

Let's hope that similar to 2002, we make some HUGE shocking moves in the off season which set us up for two more Superbowl runs

I really think if we are able to trade Cassel for a #1 somewhere, it's going to work wonders on this team. Other than Maroney, we really haven't missed on a 1st round pick. Watson is the closest thing, but even he has some produtcivity and was just barely a 1st rounder to begin with (32 overall, correct?).

If we get, say San Fran's first rounder, draft another Mayo quality defensive player, plus whatever with our #24, we've already added to the cornerstones of our D for year's to come. That's not even taking into account Guyton, Wheatley, Wilhite, and whoever we get with our two 2nd rounders this year.

This will be an interesting off-season, even if we don't make a big free agent splash.

Dream scenario (for me):

Raiders don't franchise Asomugha, we sign him.

Trade Cassel for 49er's 1st this year and 2nd next year

Draft a safety with our first 1st rounder to solidify that position with Meriweather for the foreseeable future.

Draft an O-lineman with our second 1st, preferably one that can play either tackle.

Draft a linebacker with our first 2nd rounder, let him groom in behind the vets and second year players.

Draft a TE with our second 2nd rounder, insurance for Watson leaving/underperforming.

Brady comes back healthy.

Win Super Bowl.

I really think if we are able to trade Cassel for a #1 somewhere, it's going to work wonders on this team. Other than Maroney, we really haven't missed on a 1st round pick. Watson is the closest thing, but even he has some produtcivity and was just barely a 1st rounder to begin with (32 overall, correct?).

If we get, say San Fran's first rounder, draft another Mayo quality defensive player, plus whatever with our #24, we've already added to the cornerstones of our D for year's to come. That's not even taking into account Guyton, Wheatley, Wilhite, and whoever we get with our two 2nd rounders this year.

This will be an interesting off-season, even if we don't make a big free agent splash.

Dream scenario (for me):

Raiders don't franchise Asomugha, we sign him.

Trade Cassel for 49er's 1st this year and 2nd next year

Draft a safety with our first 1st rounder to solidify that position with Meriweather for the foreseeable future.

Draft an O-lineman with our second 1st, preferably one that can play either tackle.

Draft a linebacker with our first 2nd rounder, let him groom in behind the vets and second year players.

Draft a TE with our second 2nd rounder, insurance for Watson leaving/underperforming.

Brady comes back healthy.

Win Super Bowl.

With what we have on this team already you could stop at Asmougha.

Also don't forget we have 2 3rd rounders as well.

I do agree secondary should be our biggest concern and would love to see a first rounder used on a CB and/or safety and would like to see a vet CB brought in as well and Asmougha would top the list with Gamble and Robinson placing as well. If we got one of those 3 that would be sick (I am not getting my hopes up as CB seems to be a postion we like to save money at as the only guy we have really spent on was inherited (Law)).

With what we have on this team already you could stop at Asmougha.

Also don't forget we have 2 3rd rounders as well.

I do agree secondary should be our biggest concern and would love to see a first rounder used on a CB and/or safety and would like to see a vet CB brought in as well and Asmougha would top the list with Gamble and Robinson placing as well. If we got one of those 3 that would be sick (I am not getting my hopes up as CB seems to be a postion we like to save money at as the only guy we have really spent on was inherited (Law)).

Yeah, but I'm greedy :D

I really feel like the secondary can be improved (pretty obvious) and that the rest of the team is on an even playing field. I.E. outside of the DBs, we are in a position to take whoever the best player available is, and we're not likely sacrificing a position of need to take them.

The year after a SB visit we dont make the playoffs due to a tie with another Div team beating up on Favre and we are on the outside looking in. Our D was the big weakness back then and it was this year. Anyone remember what BB and SP did that year. I feel bad for the AFC east next year. I feel another Rodney type signing coming on :rocker:

There is no question, injuries, in particular to D backs (Webster, Harrison, Hobbs, Wheatley, L. Sanders, J. Sanders, and Wilhite) caused huge "D" issues, particularly on third down passing plays.

However, to put it all on the "D", in spite of the great job by the offense is not really fair - read below.

Think about a certain fumbled kickoff that led to a flood of offensive turnovers and ended the STEELER game at halftime - up until then, we were holding our own on "D".

Or how about a certain dropped pass by Gaffney or stupid, stupid penalty by Thomas VS INDY, not the "D"'s fault at all.

Certainly MIAMI was total team melt down, in all three phases of the game, as was SAN DIEGO.

I do agree with the OP that BB will be signing an impact free agent or tow and this draft will be huge opportunity for us, as we have multiple picks in a year that will be totally stacked due to CBA uncertainty.

I wrote about this in another thread that was locked. http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-new-years-predictions-page5.html#post1233911

To summerize, I stated that this will be the year that BB loads up with big name free agents such as Nnamdi Asomugha or Terrell Suggs. The Pats could have a ton of high picks if they can get a 3rd rounder for Samuel and a first for Cassel (assuming Tom Brady is ready to return). With so many draft picks and available free agents, the Pats can turn this defense from an average one to a dominant one over night.

There is no question, injuries, in particular to D backs (Webster, Harrison, Hobbs, Wheatley, L. Sanders, J. Sanders, and Wilhite) caused huge "D" issues, particularly on third down passing plays.

However, to put it all on the "D", in spite of the great job by the offense is not really fair - read below.

Think about a certain fumbled kickoff that led to a flood of offensive turnovers and ended the STEELER game at halftime - up until then, we were holding our own on "D".

Or how about a certain dropped pass by Gaffney or stupid, stupid penalty by Thomas VS INDY, not the "D"'s fault at all.

Certainly MIAMI was total team melt down, in all three phases of the game, as was SAN DIEGO.

We had issues in ALL phases of the game, and while we'll address some defensively,I also think the Pats have wider horizons. There were demonstrated weaknesses all around and your post is spot on. That said, if the Pats think they've found another Rodney Harrison type player then they go for it imo. He was no less of a major loss this year than he's been any other time we've lost him to injury, and if there's a Rodney mini-me somewhere they won't pass him up. But yes, other than someone special I think they look at all phases of their game. Good points fgs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick