PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Uncle Heatster Mid-February Three-Round Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad Johnson.....well he did win that Super Bowl in Tampa.....lol

Or, it appears that a certain Wide Receiver with the Jets whom Belichick admires greatly is having problems with his contract and will not report without a long-term deal. His name rhymes with Thefernhues Souls (Let's see what you do with that one, Funny Man).

Look for the Patriots to take Kenny Phillips. BB loves those Canes' safeties and he and Meriweather can solidify the D backfield for the next ten years. Phillips is taller bulkier and faster than Meriweather. Having Rodney Harrison around for at least one more year to tutor these kids is a great luxury to have. Agree 100% about BB trading down and still getting a player he really wants in the 1st.

I still don't believe that trading down is as easy as everyone thinks it is going to be. Given that it is the Pats, IMO, teams are going to low ball the Pats with offers. Therefore, I think it may be more likely that the Pats trade the pick to a team with a proven young player that BB covets.

Look for the Patriots to take Kenny Phillips. BB loves those Canes' safeties and he and Meriweather can solidify the D backfield for the next ten years. Phillips is taller bulkier and faster than Meriweather. Having Rodney Harrison around for at least one more year to tutor these kids is a great luxury to have. Agree 100% about BB trading down and still getting a player he really wants in the 1st.

Ok, I can give you the taller and bulkier as Phillips is 6'2 and 208 lbs. However, where do you get he's faster?

Meriweather ran a 4.47 at the combine. And that is what Phillips is predicted to run.

I don't see the Pats adding Phillips. But who knows. Stranger things have happened.

It seems that the safety position is becoming a position that more and more requires a play maker, so I would not be completely surprised if BB took a safety at #7, I would hope however he would take a more dominant, disciplined athlete than Phillips.

It seems that the safety position is becoming a position that more and more requires a play maker, so I would not be completely surprised if BB took a safety at #7, I would hope however he would take a more dominant, disciplined athlete than Phillips.

I can't imagine him dedicating that much salary to the safety position. Really, it's the least important position in his defensive scheme, and we're going to spend back-to-back number ones? And on an undisciplined free-lancer back there who's in the habit of running around hitting people?

And going back a few posts, "BB loves those Canes safeties" makes about as much sense as "BB loves those Texas A&M defensive linemen", "BB loves those Georgia tight ends", and "BB loves those Minnesota running backs".

3rd Round

64. Miami - John Carlson TE Notre Dame

67. New York Jets - Martin Rucker TE Missouri

69. New England - Brad Cottam TE Tennessee

71. Buffalo - Fred Davis TE USC

Great first effort.

The AFC East run on TEs. I don't think all these guys will last until the 3rd round. I think Rucker is the best all around TE of the bunch.

Great first effort.

The AFC East run on TEs. I don't think all these guys will last until the 3rd round. I think Rucker is the best all around TE of the bunch.

Wow...nice catch. Purely co-incidental. I guess it says that they're aren't a lot of great TEs in the division....Chris Baker.....Matt Schobel.....David Martin.....

Wow...nice catch. Purely co-incidental. I guess it says that they're aren't a lot of great TEs in the division....Chris Baker.....Matt Schobel.....David Martin.....

Thanks and I agree, plus we know BB/SP cannot resist a great value at TE. I just think at least Davis and Rucker will be gone before the 3rd round. Davis is probably the most athletic but the worst blocker of the bunch so I'm not sure if we would draft him or not. Rucker can block like Graham and has better hands than Watson although he might not be as fast as either of them. His combine numbers will tell a lot.

Good draft but if the Jets come out of this draft with Vernon Ghoulston and Red Bryant I will be very dissapointed. Red Bryant in particular is going to be a great NT.

Changes:

I'll post the new mock in the 199overall thread later, but there's a few changes. Here's what I'm projecting for the Patriots:

14. Aqib Talib CB Kansas - No change here -- still projecting Talib after a trade down.

44. Anthony Collins OT Kansas - Do we dare go CB-CB with our first two picks? If Samuel and Gay both leave and aren't adequately replaced, it's possible Charles Godfrey, Branden Flowers, or Patrick Lee is the pick here. Beau Bell is available. Quentin Groves has fallen down the boards, and could be a target -- especially if Colvin goes away. Groves always struck me as a malingerer, but perhaps that's the result of playing with multiple dislocated toes. If WR gets wiped out in free agency, Andre Caldwell would look awfully good right here. In other words, I have no idea who this pick would be without the benefit of free agency. So, a quick guess...Samuel leaves, Gay re-signs. Colvin re-structures. Bruschi, Seau, and Harrison stick it out another year. Moss and Gaffney stay. Washington re-signs and Stallworth leaves. Belichick signs 1 veteran ILB and 1 veteran OLB, (Thomas and Pace), along with a vet corner on the downside. When the smoke clears, the pick is Collins.

62. Quentin Demps S UTEP - I think we're in the territory now of Best Available Player, or Player That Could Fill a Specific Need, or PTCFSN, for short. So what are specific needs? Cover linebacker. Kickoff man so we're not exposing Hobbs or Maroney. Perhaps a nickel back type. Backup QB (Joe Flacco is still on the board). Or we look to guys who's contracts will be up after 2008 (Kyle Brady, Rodney Harrison, James Sanders, Sammy Morris) The player at the intersection of all this is Demps, a hard-hitting safety who also has some coverage ability and returned kicks and punts for the Miners.

69. Ezra Butler OLB Nevada - It's time to roll the dice and take a gamble on potential greatness. Butler is an animal rush linebacker with great first step quickness. The knocks against him are lack of discipline playing the run and he's never had to cover. He has experience as a 3-4 OLB. He was reportedly one of the best Special Teamers in the NCAA last year, so the worst-case scenario is that we get a ST demon. The upside is Rosey Colvin.

94. Brad Cottam TE Tennessee - Nobody's really necessary here, so every pick from here on out could be traded into next year. Let's take the huge target with soft hands to battle with Thomas and Spach. He's also coming off a serious wrist injury, so he's a candidate to aggravate it during training camp, if necessary.

Last edited:
Changes:

I'll post the new mock in the 199overall thread later, but there's a few changes. Here's what I'm projecting for the Patriots:

14. Aqib Talib CB Kansas - No change here -- still projecting Talib after a trade down.

44. Anthony Collins OT Kansas - Do we dare go CB-CB with our first two picks? If Samuel and Gay both leave and aren't adequately replaced, it's possible Charles Godfrey, Branden Flowers, or Patrick Lee is the pick here. Beau Bell is available. Quentin Groves has fallen down the boards, and could be a target -- especially if Colvin goes away. Groves always struck me as a malingerer, but perhaps that's the result of playing with multiple dislocated toes. If WR gets wiped out in free agency, Andre Caldwell would look awfully good right here. In other words, I have no idea who this pick would be without the benefit of free agency. So, a quick guess...Samuel leaves, Gay re-signs. Colvin re-structures. Bruschi, Seau, and Harrison stick it out another year. Moss and Gaffney stay. Washington re-signs and Stallworth leaves. Belichick signs 1 veteran ILB and 1 veteran OLB, (Thomas and Pace), along with a vet corner on the downside. When the smoke clears, the pick is Collins.

62. Quentin Demps S UTEP - I think we're in the territory now of Best Available Player, or Player That Could Fill a Specific Need, or PTCFSN, for short. So what are specific needs? Cover linebacker. Kickoff man so we're not exposing Hobbs or Maroney. Perhaps a nickel back type. Backup QB (Joe Flacco is still on the board). Or we look to guys who's contracts will be up after 2008 (Kyle Brady, Rodney Harrison, James Sanders, Sammy Morris) The player at the intersection of all this is Demps, a hard-hitting safety who also has some coverage ability and returned kicks and punts for the Miners.

69. Ezra Butler OLB Nevada - It's time to roll the dice and take a gamble on potential greatness. Butler is an animal rush linebacker with great first step quickness. The knocks against him are lack of discipline playing the run and he's never had to cover. He has experience as a 3-4 OLB. He was reportedly one of the best Special Teamers in the NCAA last year, so the worst-case scenario is that we get a ST demon. The upside is Rosey Colvin.

94. Brad Cottam TE Tennessee - Nobody's really necessary here, so every pick from here on out could be traded into next year. Let's take the huge target with soft hands to battle with Thomas and Spach. He's also coming off a serious wrist injury, so he's a candidate to aggravate it during training camp, if necessary.

1) Talib - No issues from me.

2) Collins - No issues here from me. Whether he's the new RT or a future LT he fills a definite need and looks to be an upgrade over Kaczur, O'Callaghan and Britt.

3) Demps - I think you're reaching here. I've not seen Demps rated higher than a 4th round pick and you want to take him in the 2nd??? NFLDraftScout has him ranked as the 7th best free safety while NFLDraftCountdown rates him the 11th best safety.

4) Butler - JUST SAY NO!. There are more knocks on Butler than you've mentioned. Such as immaturity on and off the field. Giving up on plays. Extremely inconsistent.

5) Cottam - I'd rather take another CB at this point. Or someone who can return kicks and punts so we don't have to worry about Hobbs and Maroney being out there.

Heatster - I have to ask why you think so many players who are later 3rd/4th round talent (Lee, Butler, Demps) will be going in the 2nd round.

Heatster - I have to ask why you think so many players who are later 3rd/4th round talent (Lee, Butler, Demps) will be going in the 2nd round.

Generally speaking, I expect some significant shuffling after the combine and workouts, so I'm trying to imagine things as they will be then. Lee is one of these. He could run a sub-4.4 at 200 lbs. Also a sure tackler. I have Butler near the top of the third round, which I think is very realistic. Again, I think we can afford a third round pick on a high-risk, high-reward player.

Demps is a bit of a reach, probably a half-round. But he's somebody who can return kicks and punts, as you mentioned you'd like to see taken at the end of the third. Plus he can play both safety positions, with Rodney and Sanders coming to the end of their contracts. I think he'll move up significantly after the combine...I think he's rated lower than he should due to strength of schedule concerns.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, I expect some significant shuffling after the combine and workouts, so I'm trying to imagine things as they will be then. Lee is one of these. He could run a sub-4.4 at 200 lbs. Also a sure tackler. I have Butler near the top of the third round, which I think is very realistic. Again, I think we can afford a third round pick on a high-risk, high-reward player.

Demps is a bit of a reach, probably a half-round. But he's somebody who can return kicks and punts, as you mentioned you'd like to see taken at the end of the third. Plus he can play both safety positions, with Rodney and Sanders coming to the end of their contracts. I think he'll move up significantly after the combine...I think he's rated lower than he should due to strength of schedule concerns.

I don't have much issue with Lee. But Butler just doesn't seem like a Patriots type player.

As for Demps, if the Pats were looking for a KR/PR, then guys like Chris Johnson or Dexter Jackson would be better pick-ups than Demps, imho.

If the Pats are going to add a safety, someone like Joe Fields from Syracuse or Wesley Woodward from Kentucky might be a better bets.

Heatster -
I had a question about the Ravens taking Clady. You mention that they need someone to replace Ogden. Isn't that why they took Gaither last year?

Also, Houston is pretty set for OT with Eric Winston, Jordan Black, and Charles Spencer. I don't see them adding Baker because he's not an upgrade over any of those 3.

I am confused as to why Green Bay would use another 1st round pick on a QB when they used one on Aaron Rodgers and he's not fallen out of favor to my knowledge. They could use a WR and a TE, though there is no TE worthy of a 1st round pick. They could also use a safety and interior D-line help.

Last edited:
Heatster -
I had a question about the Ravens taking Clady. You mention that they need someone to replace Ogden. Isn't that why they took Gaither last year?

I did think of that. But I think they needed Gaither to start last year on the other side, correct? So if Ogden retires, there's still a hole to fill. I don't know if they'll use a pick that high to do it with, but starting LT is a huge hole. I suppose they could use Gaither on the left and pick up a RT later if they see better value somewhere.

Last edited:
I did think of that. But I think they needed Gaither to start last year on the other side, correct? So if Ogden retires, there's still a hole to fill. I don't know if they'll use a pick that high to do it with, but starting LT is a huge hole. I suppose they could use Gaither on the left and pick up a RT later if they see better value somewhere.

Actually, They have Marshal Yanda and Adam Terry for the RT spot. Yanda played in all 16 games, starting in 12 of them.

Yanda was very good for them and he stacked up well against Warren when the Pats played the Ravens.

14. First off, I like the trade w/ Chicago. If we go CB here, you're right, it will be BB's favorite. I like Cason followed by Talib -- but that's just personal preference. Good spot though for a corner.

44. Post work outs will determine the rankings a bit better. In this slot, we may have many options to choose from. Have no problem with an OT upgrade anywhere in the draft.

62. I like the position, but the ONE SS I think we'll target will be Jamie Silva. Has Pats written all over him.

69. Would love to add more speed to the LB corps, but wonder about Butler's a) maturity b) character. :confused:

94. Great pick.

In addition to Silva, another to keep in mind may be WR Dexter Jackson. I think both are Pats-type players. Not sure how far they'll rise.

Impressive effort -- much appreciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference