PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ravens new explosive offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.. I am saying if the strategy is to take away the run game AND the deep game at the same time.. that leaves the intermediate game open to exploitation..

Unless the implication is that the Patriots defense has no weakness..

And that's most likely the truth. However I think most Pats fans feel as though the Ravens are unlikely to score many points if they're forced to rely on the short/intermediate passing game. The game against Dallas is the only one where the Ravens didn't have a big day with the deep ball or on the ground where they put up a bunch of points (more than 25) and that's only because of a ST TD.

You've got people on this forum inferring that Moore's mistake was the Ravens being lucky but the Bronco's two special teams TD's were legit. Cherry picking works both ways. The best evidence for how this game is going to play out isn't in any passing, defense, rushing, special teams statistics, it's not in any of that jazz. The best evidence about how this game will play out is recent meetings between the teams. That's it. The rest of it is ballwashing hogwash - on both sides.

There was no egregious mistake on the Denver KO and punt returns for TDs. Sure, there may have been a mistake by the coverage unit such as someone not maintaining lane discipline, someone taking a bad angle or missing a tackle. But through and through those were great returns by Holliday, who is known to be a very good returner.

On the Jones TD, the safeties MAIN responsibilities were do not let anyone over the top. Flacco's lob hung in the air FOR EVER and the pass was underthrown by a large margin. It was truly horrible play by the safety and he admitted this.

You've got people on this forum inferring that Moore's mistake was the Ravens being lucky but the Bronco's two special teams TD's were legit. Cherry picking works both ways. The best evidence for how this game is going to play out isn't in any passing, defense, rushing, special teams statistics, it's not in any of that jazz. The best evidence about how this game will play out is recent meetings between the teams. That's it. The rest of it is ballwashing hogwash - on both sides.

You probably should have thought a little more before posting that one.

Ravens VS Patriots.

History shows a very close game... no matter where played.

Ravens set and then broke a playoff offensive production record.. their defense is no longer all-world.

Patriots Offense is the Patriots Offense... been there done that.

The Key is if the Ravens pass-rush which has been very good of late can bother Brady enough to compensate for their overall defensive 'drop off' which is not as bad as claimed.. it depends on what stats you believe are relevant.. seasonal or last half.. last half including playoffs show the Ravens as a Top 10 defense and their Pass Rush as Top 5.

That will probably be enough with their improved Offense. A solid 450 yds/game Unit.

The Ravens offense isn't a solid 450yds/game unit unless you don't know how to do math. They are a 411 yds/game unit.

Last half, including playoffs, shows the Ravens to be allowing 21.2 points per game and 354 yards per game. The 21.2 ranks them 12th. The 354 yards allowed ranks then 18th.

Pass rush doesn't mean anything if the other team beats you.

BTW, Baltimore only faced 2 Top 10 offenses during that time span you mentioned. They were Denver (1-1) and Washington (0-1). Baltimore is 1-2 against top 10 offenses during that time span.

What is so serious about the Patriots running game this year ??

As others have pointed out, their commitment to the running game is significant. And, if you look at all 4 of the Pats RBs, you'll see that they all had very good years. Ridley broke out and had a career year. UDFA Bolden was a beautiful find (similar to Pierce for you guys). Vereen and Woodhead proved to be more than adequate as 3rd down backs.

If you thought the Pats offense was devastating last year, it's more so this year because they have the running game AND adjust better. Not to mention their "NASCAR" package.

There was no egregious mistake on the Denver KO and punt returns for TDs. Sure, there may have been a mistake by the coverage unit such as someone not maintaining lane discipline, someone taking a bad angle or missing a tackle. But through and through those were great returns by Holliday, who is known to be a very good returner.

On the Jones TD, the safeties MAIN responsibilities were do not let anyone over the top. Flacco's lob hung in the air FOR EVER and the pass was underthrown by a large margin. It was truly horrible play by the safety and he admitted this.

Oh, so now the difference is whether a mistake is "egregious" or not? BS. The difference is on the scoreboard, nowhere else.

Ravens are averaging 180+ yards rushing per game the last 6 games.. Caldwell is using more of the middle of the field now.. we have the Tight-Ends and a strong possession type receiver to do it.. don't see what about the Patriots Defense matches up that well in this category..

Unless they can generate a lot of pressure with only their front 4.. Flacco is more than capable once he is comfortable in the pocket to play the intermediate game.. Ray Rice, Boldin, Pitta, ****son are good targets.

Math isn't your strong suit, is it.. The Ravens have compiled totals of 186, 54, 224, 206, 170 and 155 over the last 6 games. That is 995 yards or 165.8 yards per game.

As for what you see about the Patriots Defense, there is no accounting for your inadequacy in that regard other than blind homerism on your part.

The Pats have very good safeties and their LBers are pretty damn good as well. The other thing that makes the Pats defense dangerous is their ability to show different looks while bringing heavy pressure.

No on said that Rice, Boldin, Pitta and ****son weren't good targets. They are. The problem remains with Flacco and Caldwell.

Looking at the stats they don't really appear to playing at some amazing level or anything. They were playing about in the 300-350 ypg range down the stretch (which is pretty average), outside of a 500 yd performance against a Giants team that cashed it in. In the playoffs they went for over 400 on a Colts team that regularly allows 400 ypg. Then they went for 479 against a good Denver D. That's the impressive one, but the fact that 139 of it came on two bombs kinda takes some luster off it. Great job connecting on the bombs, but that means the rest of the game the offense was fairly pedestrian.

32.7 attempts per game, 4.2 average.

Actually, I think you included all the rushing in there instead of just the RBs.

The RBs had 484 rushes on the season for 2089 yards. That's a 4.32 YPC.

This does not include the 23 rushes for 123 yards in the play-off game against Houston.. That's a 5.35 YPC.

The detailed DVOA of the Patriots reveal that theye are better than average against the First and Second WRs, (Torrey Smith and Anquin Boldin). But they are weak against the 3rd WR and the TEs and the RBs. That translated to potential good games for Pitta, ****son; and Rice and perhaps Pierce, (if he plays).

Seems to make sense as the Pats were getting barbequed by the receivers over the middle, until the secondary was revamped with McCourtey to FS, Talib and Dennard to CBs, and Arrington to slot CB, and Gregory to SS.

Last edited:
After many years on this forum, someone still needs to point out to DaBruinz that there is a button where you can quote multiple posts and respond to them all in one reply. :)

Anybody else a little nervous about Kyle Arrington? I think baltimore is gonna go after him deep a lot. Seems like everytime he covers someone deep he's got he loses sight of the ball and gets a DPI call against him.

Tavon Wilson was lining up a lot against the slot receiver in the last game. I don't know how much time Arrington actually saw on the field other than on Special Teams.

Are the Patriots going to try and stop the run and the deep ball at the same time ?

Won't that open up the middle of the field to Pitta and ****son ?

From what I've seen, Flacco and Play-action pass don't get used in the same sentence much. In fact, they only used it once or twice against Denver. So, unless they decide to use it more often, no, it won't open up the middle of the field because the Pats will be able to defend against it. I'm not saying that they won't get their touches. I'm sure they will. But, in the long run, that area just isn't one that Flacco excels at throwing to. Quite the opposite actually. It's probably one of his weakest areas. In fact, Flacco only completes about 42.2% of his passes in the 11-20 yard area.

No.. I am saying if the strategy is to take away the run game AND the deep game at the same time.. that leaves the intermediate game open to exploitation..

Unless the implication is that the Patriots defense has no weakness..

It only leaves the intermediate game open to exploitation if you totally ignore the intermediate game, which the Pats won't do. You're acting like the Ravens can show all 3 looks at the same time. I have news for you, they can't. The Ravens are very traditional in their line-ups..

When the Ravens show run, the Pats will aim to take it away with their front 4 and MLB. The two OLBs will be focused on the potential for passes to the TEs in a play-action, which aren't likely, and then on the run.

When the Ravens show pass, the Pats will look at taking away the deep ball. The intermediate routes (11-20 yards) are ones that Flacco is horrible at. He completes just 42.2% of them. And, if the Pats can funnel them outside the hash-marks, he gets ever worse. Particularly when throwing to his right.

Again, the Ravens will make plays. No one is saying otherwise. But you Ravens fans are acting like your team puts up huge numbers offensively and that they are some unstoppable juggernaut. They aren't. They can be stopped. And, if the Ravens get down by two scores or more early, you'll have to rely on Flacco to dig you out and I don't believe he's capable. Not with Caldwell as the OC.

Oh, so now the difference is whether a mistake is "egregious" or not? BS. The difference is on the scoreboard, nowhere else.

Yes, the Jones TD counts but if you tell me that was a good throw you'd have to be kidding yourself.

The ball was in the air FOREVER and was severely underthrown. It was basically a jump ball and Rahim Mooore really ****** up. I could have made a better play on that ball.

Tavon Wilson was lining up a lot against the slot receiver in the last game. I don't know how much time Arrington actually saw on the field other than on Special Teams.

It did seem that way but according to Reiss' defensive snap breakdown, KA played 35 of 78 snaps and TW was 16 of 78.

S Devin McCourty – 78 of 78
LB Jerod Mayo – 78 of 78
CB Alfonzo Dennard – 77 of 78
S Steve Gregory – 77 of 78
CB Aqib Talib – 77 of 78
DE Rob Ninkovich -- 76 of 78
DL Vince Wilfork – 61 of 78
LB Brandon Spikes – 58 of 78
DE Justin Francis – 49 of 78
LB Dont’a Hightower – 47 of 78
DT Brandon Deaderick – 39 of 78
CB Kyle Arrington – 35 of 78
DE Chandler Jones – 32 of 78
DL Kyle Love – 32 of 78
DE Trevor Scott – 19 of 78
S Tavon Wilson – 16 of 78
DE Jermaine Cunningham – 6 of 78
S Patrick Chung – 1 of 78

Last edited:

Umm.. no one said anything of the sort.

As for what the best evidence of how the game will play out, no it's not the recent meetings... WHY? Because those aren't the teams that are meeting on Sunday. Heck neither team is the same from when they faced off earlier this season.

The Pats have Mankins, Connolly, and Hernandez back on offense while losing Gronkowski and Edelman. The Patriots defense has added Talib and Dennard is also starting with McCourty and Gregory back at Safety.

The Ravens have McKinnie at LT with Oher at RT and Osimele at LG on offense now. On defense, you have Suggs back, though you're without LaDarius Webb and Jamaal McClain.

What is not in doubt, though, is that the Ravens will not benefit from scab refs feeling sorry for Torrey Smith or from them botching a FG call. By rule, if the ball passes OVER the goal post, it is supposed to be ruled NO GOOD unless it passes between the uprights or the imaginary extensions of said uprights.. Something that the Scab officials clearly didn't know.

Umm.. no one said anything of the sort.

As for what the best evidence of how the game will play out, no it's not the recent meetings... WHY? Because those aren't the teams that are meeting on Sunday. Heck neither team is the same from when they faced off earlier this season.

The Pats have Mankins, Connolly, and Hernandez back on offense while losing Gronkowski and Edelman. The Patriots defense has added Talib and Dennard is also starting with McCourty and Gregory back at Safety.

The Ravens have McKinnie at LT with Oher at RT and Osimele at LG on offense now. On defense, you have Suggs back, though you're without LaDarius Webb and Jamaal McClain.

What is not in doubt, though, is that the Ravens will not benefit from scab refs feeling sorry for Torrey Smith or from them botching a FG call. By rule, if the ball passes OVER the goal post, it is supposed to be ruled NO GOOD unless it passes between the uprights or the imaginary extensions of said uprights.. Something that the Scab officials clearly didn't know.

Reread the thread.

Reread the thread.

I've read the thread, thank you very much. You'd know that if you had a lick of sense in that head of yours. You clearly don't.

I've read the thread, thank you very much. You'd know that if you had a lick of sense in that head of yours. You clearly don't.

Ouch, I just got insulted in the interwebs!!! Betcha I ... don't care :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back