PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pounding Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
What worries me about Cam not playing from behind is more about the supporting cast then it is about Cam. If we get down by 14 late in the third quarter do we have the horses to play catch up? We don't have anyone outside of Edelman (who only played about half the snaps yesterday) who can get open consistently and make chunk plays.

If Cam gets it in his head that he needs to do it all, his injury likelihood goes up a ton. I do have some hope (Izzo's route adjustment early on, and Cam seeing it is a good example). But, can we expect more of this?

I noticed Izzo, Asiasi and the new fullback doing useful things at various times in the game. Izzo in particular looks like he's starting to put things together and be a bit more of a complete TE, and he was one of the few youngsters who worked his way into getting catches last night.

One thing for sure, if we're going to become the Pounding Pats, we need a thick body game from our TEs to get there. One of the things Gronk was most unnderrated for is his monstrous talent as a run blocker.

Always so many excuses for the guy. He's a JAG. I don't know why everyone keeps waiting for him to turn into a prime Todd Gurley or Leveon Bell. He has show us what he is. An average run of the mill running back.
If there's a JAG RB in the league it's Leveon Bell currently. 2.3 yds a carry yesterday, 3.2 yrds a carry last year. His last year with Pitt he was exactly 4.0 yds a carry. He was only good 14, 15 and 16, and he only managed to play 34 games during that span. Todd Gurley also averaged exactly 4.0 yrds a carry yesterday. Sony has played 2 years, he averaged 4.5 yrds a carry in year one, 3.7 yrds per carry last year playing with some injuries. His first year he was also kinda instrumental in a SB win playing against the alleged best teams in the league. He upped his averaged to 4.7 yrds a carry and had 6 TDs in 3 games.

I wish people could let go of what we thought a player would be and focus on what he is now.

Michel is a serviceable platoon back. He can't take a game over and we've never asked him to. He can deliver in short yardage situations which is when we usually use our RBs. He was never drafted to be a monster, Michel was drafted in the BOTTOM of the first round, he's a high second talent in a position we happened to need at the end of round 1, nothing more.

Anyone suggesting that we drafted Michel to be a stud has deceived themselves. We drafted him to be a roleplayer and he has played that role.

Getting 900 yards a year in an offense designed to throw between 35-45 times a game is IMHO a solid result, especially when you're sharing rushing duties with Burkhead and White.

In fact IIRC Michel was the only one that DIDN'T fall apart as the OL was crumbling and Develin was hurt. White's rushes were down, Burkhead's were down, but Michel still got his 900 yards

As far as I can see, unless you're stupid enough to fail to see past "lol first round" we all should be more or less satisfied with Michel.

Last edited:
I wish people could let go of what we thought a player would be and focus on what he is now.

Michel is a serviceable platoon back. He can't take a game over and we've never asked him to. He can deliver in short yardage situations which is when we usually use our RBs. He was never drafted to be a monster, Michel was drafted in the BOTTOM of the first round, he's a high second talent in a position we happened to need at the end of round 1, nothing more. Anyone suggesting that we drafted Michel to be a stud has deceived themselves.

Getting 900 yards a year in an offense designed to throw between 35-45 times a game is IMHO a solid result. As far as I can see, unless you're stupid enough to fail to see past "lol first round" we all should be more or less satisfied with Michel.
I don't know. In the 2018 playoffs, first game he had 24 carries for 129 yards and 3 TDs, second game 29 carries for 113 yards and in the SB 18 carries for 94 yards. I'd say he was doing a reasonably good impression of a stud then.

I don't know. In the 2018 playoffs, first game he had 24 carries for 129 yards and 3 TDs, second game 29 carries for 113 yards and in the SB 18 carries for 94 yards. I'd say he was doing a reasonably good impression of a stud then.
He was. Michel's a decent running back. The only people who are complaining are the "udurrr, first round lol" group

Weird how guys like JC Jackson and Malcolm Butler can shed their status as undrafted players but a guy who's drafted in the first round still gets it thrown in his face if he's not perfect.

Draft position doesn't matter after a guy starts playing. we know what Michel is. Michel is a decent top back who an lead the RB room but is not a bell cow. At the bottom of the first round a guy like that really isn't a reach. And that's without factoring in that he was a monster in 2018 and scored literally the only touchdown in SB53

The complaint comes from the perceived mismatch between player and role. In college, Michel looked like a Kamara type. He could break people down in the open field. He didn't catch the ball a ton, but he looked fine doing it. He was UGA's big play guy. I thought he could be a bigger Dion Lewis here. I said in the draft forum that year that he was the best fit in the draft. I also said that Chubb was the early down starter for a reason. Had I known the way the Patriots intended to use him at RB, I would have preferred taking Chubb.

But that's all irrelevant now. We've got Michel, and he served us extremely well in the playoffs for our last Super Bowl push. He still has a role to play on this team. He might not be the guy we wanted -- just like Harry -- but that doesn't mean he's not useful.

One thing for sure, if we're going to become the Pounding Pats, we need a thick body game from our TEs to get there. One of the things Gronk was most unnderrated for is his monstrous talent as a run blocker.

Nobody underrated Gronk as a blocker.

Always so many excuses for the guy. He's a JAG. I don't know why everyone keeps waiting for him to turn into a prime Todd Gurley or Leveon Bell. He has show us what he is. An average run of the mill running back.

Bell looks like a system RB. Not sure Id rank him that far ahead of Michel, who has won a ring and contributed heavily to it.

If there's a JAG RB in the league it's Leveon Bell currently. 2.3 yds a carry yesterday, 3.2 yrds a carry last year. His last year with Pitt he was exactly 4.0 yds a carry. He was only good 14, 15 and 16, and he only managed to play 34 games during that span. Todd Gurley also averaged exactly 4.0 yrds a carry yesterday. Sony has played 2 years, he averaged 4.5 yrds a carry in year one, 3.7 yrds per carry last year playing with some injuries. His first year he was also kinda instrumental in a SB win playing against the alleged best teams in the league. He upped his averaged to 4.7 yrds a carry and had 6 TDs in 3 games.
That’s why I said “prime” those guys are JAG’s now too.

Even if you want to call him "kind of instrumental in a SB win" two years ago, what has he done for us lately? He's done literally nothing. BenJarvus Green-Ellis could be doing the same things for us. Even during the SB season he wasn't special. Efficient behind a great OL, that's all.

He's close to being a bust. Serviceable is not what a first round player should be.

Even if you want to call him "kind of instrumental in a SB win" two years ago, what has he done for us lately? He's done literally nothing. BenJarvus Green-Ellis could be doing the same things for us. Even during the SB season he wasn't special. Efficient behind a great OL, that's all.

He's close to being a bust. Serviceable is not what a first round player should be.
Ouch. Comparing to undrafted Law Firm...

Ouch. Comparing to undrafted Law Firm...
I mean is that really unfair? BJGE had a 1000 yard season and two years with 10+ rushing TDs. Michel got overrated by the playoff run. He wasn't doing anything that any other competent RB could have done behind that OL. What is Michel ultimately better at?

Yes. He had one good season, and one not as good in which he was suffering from injuries. And if averaginig 4.7 a carry for 336 yards and 6 TDs during 3 playoff games against the iron of the league isn't good enough for you, I'm afraid you're destined to be disappointed. Antwain Smith averaged 3.8 a carry for 204 yards and 0 TDs in his SB year. Even Corey Dillon only managed 4.5 yards for 292 yards and 2 TDs. So basically, if Michele isn't better than the two best previous RBs in this 20 year run, he's a bust.

I mean is that really unfair? BJGE had a 1000 yard season and two years with 10+ rushing TDs. Michel got overrated by the playoff run. He wasn't doing anything that any other competent RB could have done behind that OL. What is Michel ultimately better at?
Not saying you are wrong - just wanted to say « ouch ». I still think it’s early. Maybe this line + his health + running QB will allow Sony to produce this season.

Not saying you are wrong - just wanted to say « ouch ». I still think it’s early. Maybe this line + his health + running QB will allow Sony to produce this season.
I hope so too. Much as I think Sony Maroney is mediocre I hope like hell he does better. It would be big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots