PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pounding Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am happy with the win but a little nervous for a few reasons.

Is it realistic to expect that Cam running that much will be sustainable? He is coming off multiple surgeries and is now 31 years old can we really expect him to take that type of beating?
They're probably gonna be asking Cam to pick his battles carefully. Against hard D lines I think we'll see Cam throw more. Exploiting weak defenses like Miami though, it's good to let a guy like Cam cut loose and be himself.

This is a legit concern lol. Outside of a mid-season trade I don’t see those weapons either.
Yeah I am hoping Beckham mopes his way out of town and the Browns trade him on a bargain deal. Pipe dream but we need someone above the level of a Mohammed Sanu.

My concern with the passing game is weapons. If Edelman gets hurt or misses a few games, the aerial attack may be the least intimidating in the league. Cam obviously has lead comebacks, but this group of pass catchers isn't hyped up for a reason. His ability to get quick scores to compete with potentially explosive offenses is what is concerning. Seattle, for example, if they get a 21-7 lead on us Sunday, i don't see us catching up. Let alone a team like KC.

Yeah Josh McDaniels would have to do the best coaching job of his career (outside of making Tebow look like a QB) to come up with wins if they get down to those types of teams.

Before the season started I predicted the Pats being a SB contender if Cam could stay healthy, but that was before the opt-out exodus on the Pats defense. Now a wildcard berth seems like the best case scenario, but it should still be an entertaining season.

Yeah I am hoping Beckham mopes his way out of town and the Browns trade him on a bargain deal. Pipe dream but we need someone above the level of a Mohammed Sanu.

Can we put baker mayfield in bust territory already? The guy sucks. I’m surprised beckham hasn’t asked for a trade yet . The browns remind me of the cowboys. They collect talent and don’t get results on the field.

in addition to some of what has been mentioned, if this is the style we are going to employ, we'd better fix the kicking game.......if we're going to play ball control and ground & pound, we'd better score every opportunity we can......missed FG's are not part of that equation

in addition to some of what has been mentioned, if this is the style we are going to employ, we'd better fix the kicking game.......if we're going to play ball control and ground & pound, we'd better score every opportunity we can......missed FG's are not part of that equation

Miami can’t stop the run iftheir lives depended on it. This offense will struggle mightily if other teams stop the run.

Can we put baker mayfield in bust territory already? The guy sucks. I’m surprised beckham hasn’t asked for a trade yet . The browns remind me of the cowboys. They collect talent and don’t get results on the field.
If he doesn't step it up this year I would have to agree. I was ready to chalk up last year to Kitchens being in over his head and getting saddled with yet another coach/OC as well as Odell being banged up but this year he needs to build on how he played as a rookie. It's only one week but he didn't look good and Beckham looked maybe even worse. Might be change of scenery time again for OBJ and maybe this time to a place with a real coach and some structure to pull out the best in him the way Coughlin was able to early in his career.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer

Image result for Debbie Downer

But I look at the SF 49ers. All is good and fine when they are smashing teams with the run, but what happens when they get behind. They were killing the Chiefs with the run in the SB, 141 yards and 6.4 yards per carry. But once they fell behind, and the Chiefs made adjustments vs the run, they didn't have the type of offense to adjust and come back. I wonder if the Pats can adjust if they get shut down run wise. We saw that in SB 50, Cam kinda imploded when he was down, only 7 points vs the Broncos. Wasn't horrible passing wise, but lost 2 key fumbles. It's what teams/QBs do when there is adversity, when they have to come from behind. It'll be interesting, I think we will see it this week, the Seahawks are a scary team, we most likely will be behind at certain points in the game, let's see what Cam and the offense does.

I hear ya. It's a good thought. I think one major difference though, is their 49er HC is famous for choking and giving up a 25 point Superbowl lead, whereas our HC is famous for coming back to win a Superbowl down 25 pts and winning 6 Superbowls plus 2 others as a DC.

Yeah Josh McDaniels would have to do the best coaching job of his career (outside of making Tebow look like a QB) to come up with wins if they get down to those types of teams.

Before the season started I predicted the Pats being a SB contender if Cam could stay healthy, but that was before the opt-out exodus on the Pats defense. Now a wildcard berth seems like the best case scenario, but it should still be an entertaining season.

But he didn't make Tebow look like a QB. Tebow played under John Fox. McD was fired after losing 13 straight games in Denver, then went to St Louis and there had the worst 32nd ranked offense in the league. However, he is much much better now, one of the best OCs in the league now in my opinion, having grown tremendously since 2005.

Last edited:
Always so many excuses for the guy. He's a JAG. I don't know why everyone keeps waiting for him to turn into a prime Todd Gurley or Leveon Bell. He has show us what he is. An average run of the mill running back.

He needs receptions to keep the defense honest. Miami stacked the box when he was in the game...which was not always the case when other RB’s were in there.

Looks like we're going to be pretty run heavy this year, with a premium rushing QB who's really good at RPO offense we're going to be abusing any team with a vulnerable D line.

We're somewhat used to a finesse style offense, quick release surgical attack. Brady is the best in the world at that brand of football.

Now we're making a transition into a smashmouth offense and I love it.

Hopefully the OL holds up because we're going to be asking more of them than in years past. We got a taste of the blitz buffet we'll probably be enjoying for the rest of the year as teams hope that they can rattle Cam and keep him off balance. The OL is going to have to play outnumbered and still win fights a few times if we want Cam to dominate like he's capable of.

That said, we've got the personnel to do it. We've got a deep RB unit and enough veterans on OL to expect that unit to gel. We've got Cam, who's as good a general for a rushing attack as you could hope for. So long live the Pounding Pats. It's a style of offense we haven't seen in literal generations in New England, and I'm excited to see this new identity and how it plays out.

The Pats lead the NFL in rushing yardage. They ran up 214 yards against a mediocre run defense that is supposed to be improved over last year’s Dolphin run D. It’s a decent start.

There is an occasional talent collector here too.

I am happy with the win but a little nervous for a few reasons.

Is it realistic to expect that Cam running that much will be sustainable? He is coming off multiple surgeries and is now 31 years old can we really expect him to take that type of beating?
I keep hearing this, and it's a legitimate concern. However, why is it that whenever the name Patrick Mahomes comes up, nobody seems worried about him getting hurt? Didn't he dislocate his knee last year? And he plays in a style similar to Cam. Am I missing something?

I keep hearing this, and it's a legitimate concern. However, why is it that whenever the name Patrick Mahomes comes up, nobody seems worried about him getting hurt? Didn't he dislocate his knee last year? And he plays in a style similar to Cam. Am I missing something?

No you're not missing anything. Since Cam came into the league folks have said his style of play is not sustainable, and Cam never really had any injury concerns until tearing his rotator cuff in 2016 and the freak lisfranc injury, both of which had nothing to do with him rushing the football.

Also like Cam, Mahomes has one of the better coaches in the NFL riding herd on him to try and keep him healthy. Andy Reid is a bit of a meme in some circles but his teams are usually effective and well coached, Mahomes is in decent hands. Cam really wasn't in Carolina.

Cam had 1/3 of the carries yesterday that Mahomes had all 2019. Even when Mahomes does run he generally ducks out of bounds or slides. Cam in the red zone is a battering ram.

Also like Cam, Mahomes has one of the better coaches in the NFL riding herd on him to try and keep him healthy. Andy Reid is a bit of a meme in some circles but his teams are usually effective and well coached, Mahomes is in decent hands. Cam really wasn't in Carolina.

well coached until clock management and end of game come into play :rofl:

but your point stands

Andy Reid tends to get rattled in the tensest situations, but so doesn't anyone. Very, very few coaches have the killer instinct in those situations that we're used to with Belichick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes