PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Other AFC Contenders and Race for the 1 seed

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I was hoping to start this thread to generate discussion on the other contending teams in the AFC and revisit it each week as the season progresses. Which teams stand out to you as being the biggest roadblock for the Patriots to SB 53? I think we can all agree that entering the season Jacksonville, Houston and Pittsburgh were seen as the NE’s biggest threats in the AFC. After week 1, Houston and Pittsburgh don’t look so great. I know it’s early, but there have been a few surpises to me - Denver, Baltimore, and the Jets.

Denver: Case Keenum is a servicable QB who can drive a pretty talented team in the Broncos. Their defense looks strong with the addition of Bradley Chubb. I’m not 100% convinced their coaching staff is that great, but so far, Denver looks like they can win the AFCW.

Baltimore: Are the Ravens really that good or was it that they played the Bills? Probably some combination of both. I can easily see Baltimore winning the AFCN over Pittsburgh.

Jets: I hate to even bring them into a discussion about AFC contenders, but their D looked really great last night and Darnold looks better than advertised. Aside from Darnold, I think their biggest addition this offseason was hiring Jeremy Bates as their OC.

Edit: Today, the Jets admitted to knowing the Lions signals, which could explain why they looked so great on defense.

Jets say they knew Lions' offensive signals, Matt Patricia latest name from Belichick coaching tree to flop

Last edited:
Today, the Jets admitted to knowing the Lions signals, which could explain why they looked so great on defense.

I doubt we'll give them such an easy path to success.

Overall, though, it's way too early to make any real projections. I have no idea which teams will fall back to earth, and which will continue to grind and improve (the Patriots' M.O. usually). My guess is that three months from now, the traditional AFC powers will still be in the drivers seat.

We need to wait a few weeks to let things sort out.

Wasted opportunity for the NFL to not have this Jags Pats game in prime time. And to have it week 2 of the season?

I doubt we'll give them such an easy path to success.

Overall, though, it's way too early to make any real projections. I have no idea which teams will fall back to earth, and which will continue to grind and improve (the Patriots' M.O. usually). My guess is that three months from now, the traditional AFC powers will still be in the drivers seat.

Reamer, my belief is that the Laveon Bell situation is going to hurt the Steelers. Even if he comes back that lockerroom is going to be a mess.

Last edited:
I was hoping to start this thread to generate discussion on the other contending teams in the AFC and revisit it each week as the season progresses. Which teams stand out to you as being the biggest roadblock for the Patriots to SB 53? I think we can all agree that entering the season Jacksonville, Houston and Pittsburgh were seen as the NE’s biggest threats in the AFC. After week 1, Houston and Pittsburgh don’t look so great. I know it’s early, but there have been a few surpises to me - Denver, Baltimore, and the Jets.

Denver: Case Keenum is a servicable QB who can drive a pretty talented team in the Broncos. Their defense looks strong with the addition of Bradley Chubb. I’m not 100% convinced their coaching staff is that great, but so far, Denver looks like they can win the AFCW.

Baltimore: Are the Ravens really that good or was it that they played the Bills? Probably some combination of both. I can easily see Baltimore winning the AFCN over Pittsburgh.

Jets: I hate to even bring them into a discussion about AFC contenders, but their D looked really great last night and Darnold looks better than advertised. Aside from Darnold, I think their biggest addition this offseason was hiring Jeremy Bates as their OC.

Edit: Today, the Jets admitted to knowing the Lions signals, which could explain why they looked so great on defense.

Jets say they knew Lions' offensive signals, Matt Patricia latest name from Belichick coaching tree to flop

The author of this story linked to in this post (a CBS Sportswriter) has determined that Patricia is a flop after only one game! Wow, he must be a pretty brilliant analyst to figure that out so quickly. :cool:

I don't know if Patricia will be successful or not, but I think I'll at least wait until he's coached a few games before rendering judgement. ;)

All of the off season pundit type stuff I read said that LA Chargers were to be crowned as AFC champs. I'm not even sure they should bother playing the games this year.

It's way too early to be having conversations about other contenders. There are always weird results and overreactions after Week 1.

If I were to BET MY LIFE ON IT...here's how I would pick each division in the AFC:

AFC East: Patriots are the most likely team to win the division...maybe 85%. The Dolphins and Jets play one another in week 2 and we will see...Bills look bad...

AFC North: The Steelers and the Ravens are the most likely teams to win the division. Bengals could make things interesting. The Browns are still a year away at least, IMO.

AFC South: I like the Jaguars the best...but one could argue that they have the worst starting QB in the division. Houston...they need blocking for Watson to make things work, IMO. Titans look like a mess with the injuries now. Indy isn't contending, but they could decide the division by 1-2 upsets during the season.

AFC West: K.C. looks like the best team...their defense will need to get a lot better though. Then there's Denver and L.A....not sure...then there's the Raiders who looked a-ok yesterday before things snowballed in the second half.

Overall, I am pretty sure the Patriots, Steelers, and Ravens are going to make the play-offs....then one winner from AFCS/AFCW...leaving one more spot for the 2nd place team in AFCE/AFCS...maybe even the AFCW if the AFCS beats each other up...

If I were to BET MY LIFE ON IT...here's how I would pick each division in the AFC:

AFC East: Patriots are the most likely team to win the division...maybe 85%. The Dolphins and Jets play one another in week 2 and we will see...Bills look bad...

AFC North: The Steelers and the Ravens are the most likely teams to win the division. Bengals could make things interesting. The Browns are still a year away at least, IMO.

AFC South: I like the Jaguars the best...but one could argue that they have the worst starting QB in the division. Houston...they need blocking for Watson to make things work, IMO. Titans look like a mess with the injuries now. Indy isn't contending, but they could decide the division by 1-2 upsets during the season.

AFC West: K.C. looks like the best team...their defense will need to get a lot better though. Then there's Denver and L.A....not sure...then there's the Raiders who looked a-ok yesterday before things snowballed in the second half.

Overall, I am pretty sure the Patriots, Steelers, and Ravens are going to make the play-offs....then one winner from AFCS/AFCW...leaving one more spot for the 2nd place team in AFCE/AFCS...maybe even the AFCW if the AFCS beats each other up...

Barring injury to you know who, Pats have to be 95%+ to win the division.

It feels weird to say so, but I'm sort of happy for the Jets. Darnold is an interesting story and a legit prospect, and at some point you have you have SOME sympathy for the suffering of Jets fans. I mean, they are human, sort of.

The Steelers will be an occasional concern, but never an actual threat, for as long as they have that bug-eyed dimwit Tomlin posturing on the sideline.

It feels weird to say so, but I'm sort of happy for the Jets. Darnold is an interesting story and a legit prospect, and at some point you have you have SOME sympathy for the suffering of Jets fans. I mean, they are human, sort of.

Don’t feel sorry for Jets fans at all. Let them suffer.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back