PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revman

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
The card is up- The New England Patriots select DE-Evander Hood-The University of Missouri. We all know Belicheck loves his HOOD.

*Maualuga and Mack are the two other most interesting round one candidates to me. All 3 would be smart choices-all 3 will be key players in this league for years to come.

The only reason I wouldn't want Hood at #23 is because I think there will be 2-3 better players on the board at that pick, be it Pettigrew, Maualuga, Beatty, Butler or Moreno.

I keep my fingers crossed that Hood will be there at #34, and I'd have no problem giving up a 3rd to move up if the prospect of getting Hood AND one of the guys above arises.

What position is Hood going to play for us? He is a little on the small side for a 34 DE.

Last edited:
I've not watched this guy play but he's one of my "don't wants", too many of the sources I trust have little faith in his ability to be a 2 gap DE and the the power and desire to play that way. Of course, I'll defer to Bill's judgement on it but if it were up to me - no thanks.

I've not watched this guy play but he's one of my "don't wants", too many of the sources I trust have little faith in his ability to be a 2 gap DE and the the power and desire to play that way. Of course, I'll defer to Bill's judgement on it but if it were up to me - no thanks.

You are spot on, Ziggy is not a 2-gap 3-4 defensive end. Not at all.

He is an inside, one gap penetrator.

I would be very disappointed if he was our pick. He is a good player by all means, but not a system fit. Why draft a player if he won't fit your system?

Of course, I will leave it up to Belichick. But I really don't think Ziggy Hood fits the Pats system at all.

I would be very disappointed if he was our pick. He is a good player by all means, but not a system fit. Why draft a player if he won't fit your system?

I'm a bit confused....are you saying you would be dissappointed if he were our pick because

a) he doesn't fit our system, or

b) it would mean that your assessment of his talent with respect to our system was wrong.

I cannot really argue about Hood's projection as a 1 gap tackle, as that is all he did in school. That said, he's shown the ability to engage and shed with a high level of aptitude as well as routinely defeating double teams. I'm not sure giving him two gap responsibility from the five technique would result in failure. Ziggy's extremely strong and very athletic for a big man. He doesn't have the ideal height but I'm not sure how much I should penalize him for that.

Mayo has touted Ndamukong Suh as a much more ideal 3-4 end prospect for next year's draft and I completely agree with him but I see Hood as a tick below Suh.

All just my opinion, of course.

Hood will certainly be there at 34 or 47 if the Pats want him and as far as Maualuga goes,the only way the Patriots draft him is by trading up,Rey will not be there at #23 -

Not including Curry who is gone by#5 ,Rey is the best overall LB in this draft and a LB will be gone before the 20s - Cushing and Matthews are much more likely if the pats want a LB at 23and Hood can wait,no one is taking him as a #1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing