PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The defense is still the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomdomb

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Okay, Moss is gone but what does that mean for the offense. I firmly believe that the offense will continue to chug along. Maybe we won't put up 30 per game but we will still have an offense at least in the top 10.

The real question is can the defense keep up? Can the young guys handle the coaching and start making plays? It is always about the defense. The offense will be good enough in my opinion to get us into the playoffs but will the defense be able to step up?

Okay, Moss is gone but what does that mean for the offense. I firmly believe that the offense will continue to chug along. Maybe we won't put up 30 per game but we will still have an offense at least in the top 10.

The real question is can the defense keep up? Can the young guys handle the coaching and start making plays? It is always about the defense. The offense will be good enough in my opinion to get us into the playoffs but will the defense be able to step up?

I think that the success of the defense against Miami will be the catalyst to push these guys to marked improvements. They may not be at the level of the 2003 or 2004 teams, but they could end up at less than 17 points a game by the end of the season.

It appears, even from the Miami game, that part of the offense is going to be "keep the defense off the field." Nice long drives that take a lot of time off the clock and hopefully result in points. The young guys are going to have to do their part though, and make a few stops. I agree with the poster who said the Miami game should be a catalyst to do better. BB and the other coaches can point to that game and say, "look, when you do what we say (just do your job), it works and you can make good things happen.

Hopefully they are reviewing film of the playoff game against Baltimore and learning what NOT to do against them. Old and slow was a problem in that game. At least we have changed it up and now have young and fast. The problem is it's young, fast and raw.

I think that the success of the defense against Miami will be the catalyst to push these guys to marked improvements. They may not be at the level of the 2003 or 2004 teams, but they could end up at less than 17 points a game by the end of the season.

17 a game and we are 11-5. This offense should still score 21-24 per game. If we can have a 7 point spread between offense and defense would mean a bunch of wins.

I agree that defense is still a big problem. If the first four games are an indication, we'll need turnovers and special teams to help carry the load. And those aren't things that we can count on.

Count me in. As happy as I was -- and AM -- that the defense showed a little something on Monday Night, they did just that, showed a LITTLE something. They still gave up a ton of yards -- more than just the usual, bend-don't-break amount that used to be the hallmark of how our D played in the early 2000s. It remains a work in progress that I (mostly) really enjoy watching transform. It's an exciting time to be a Patriots fan.

I think we are still holding up OK against the run, which is IMO the biggest key to peaking on defense later in the year and hopefully into the POs. The backfield and pass rush will improve if we can stop the run and mature quickly in the backfield.

The defense took some decent size steps on Monday night. With a young defense that MAY be enough to really make the defense make an 180 degree turnaround. Some of the mental errors that this defense has been making is because of hesitance or lack of confidence in decision making.

My biggest problem with all this this is not putting a talented team for Brady whose 33.I wanna see him in more big games in the playoffs..You never know when u will have a talent like Brady at QB again.

My biggest problem with all this this is not putting a talented team for Brady whose 33.I wanna see him in more big games in the playoffs..You never know when u will have a talent like Brady at QB again.

Not putting a talented team?? OMG. I can't believe you're serious.

There is a ton of talent on this team. It's young talent. It's also being given a chance to step up, learn and show what it can do.

Yup definitely... I'm really not that concerned about the offense. I mean the first half against the Fins was pretty ugly, but with Brady and all those WRs and TEs (and the progression they'll make), I think this is still a championship-caliber offense. The defense on the other hand... really needs to improve.

17 a game and we are 11-5. This offense should still score 21-24 per game. If we can have a 7 point spread between offense and defense would mean a bunch of wins.

It could be 11-5 or 12-4. It means they have to average just under 15 points allowed a game for the next 12 games.

Not putting a talented team?? OMG. I can't believe you're serious.

There is a ton of talent on this team. It's young talent. It's also being given a chance to step up, learn and show what it can do.
Hey put RM on this team and its loaded with talent, you didn't know that.:rolleyes:

Everyone cries that the Phins had 400 yards of [useless] Offense.

We all moan about an Offense that goes "3 and out" repeatedly. Followed by a punt. We tolerate a "3 and out" followed by a extra point kick. In this game we had three "1 and out". So the Phins got three extra Offensive series. The Pats Offense had a "8 and out" and a "5 and out", too. So the Phins Offense was on the field a lot. They should have had both good stats and a lot more scores.

The Defense did extremely well and reminds me of the 2003 -2005 Defenses except the INTs were with names like Bruschi and Law, not Ninkovitch and Chung.

Everywhere on that Defense is young, raw, but TALENTED youngsters. Right up the middle they have Vince Wilfork @ NT. Jerrod Mayo @ ILB, (and Spinks), and Meriwether and Chung @ S. As Lombardi calls them, the next Probowl Safety pair. Probowlers all, already now, or soon.

Even at OLB, They now have TBC, Cunningham, and Ninkovitch/Crable. Cunningham already appears to be a contributor, 4 games into his rookie year. Crable always has had the athletic talent, and Ninkovitch had a spectacular [breakout?] game, for a guy I thought strictly a JAG.

Everyone moans about the pass rush. They did get two sacks, and I'll bet 9-10 hits and pressures. It is not like the pressure-less last year's pass rushes.

Last edited:
Not enough pessure at times.I thought they played well in miami, meaning the defense.

Usually (last year being the exception) BB teams progress a lot over the course of the season more than most teams, this D is the YOUNGEST in the league and VERY athletic. Based on this there is a lot of room for improvement. This D will progress more than most over the duration of this season and I will predict it will be a good Defense by the time the playoffs roll around. Next year it has the opportunity to be an elite defense (Warren & Bodden back).

I hope to see a progression in the next game with the extra time to get the young guys understanding what is happening.

This offense with Moss is averaging 24 PPG. Defensive and ST touchdowns bumped that number up to 30 PPG.

I am worried about this offense now that Moss is gone and continue to worry about the defense until they can consistently make plays.

I don't care if the opponent rolls up 1,000 yards of offense as long as they don't let them score. Nice step forward Monday night to show what they are capable, now they need to prove that it wasn't a fluke.

What success. Miami moved the ball at will, not every team we face will have a QB that throws 3 or 4 INT's.

The defense has huge personnel issues in the front 7. Nothing short of multiple trades can solve that now.

Wow. That is one hell of a jump. They've allowed roughly 23 points a game and you're saying they'll average roughly 15 points a game for the rest of the year?? We know the Colts are going to score 35 on us so that means only around 13 points allowed per game for the other 11 games. While I expect to beat the Lions, I am hesitant to think we'll keep them to under 14 points and other than the Bills (who scored 30 on us...) they are one of the worst teams left on the schedule.
I would expect maybe a 21 point per game average to be much more likely for our defense this year. We'll be absolutely pourous to teams like the Colts, but we'll force an INT or two and still pull out the win.
The main thing we need in our defensive improvement is consistancy by the time the season comes to an end. I will take hiccups throughout the first 8-10 games as we are extremely young, but if we are to make a serious post season run, we need them to be consistant.
If the defense is consistant, our offense will have it a lot easier, which we now need...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes