PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Chargers: bold innovators in incompetence

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I understand it (basically PFTs take) is that Bosa wants a fairly standard 3rd overall contract. The Chargers don't want to set any precedents on deferrals and offset language that they've never done before (not since the new 2011 rules, anyway), but the Chargers have never even picked in the top 10 since 2011, so their precedents are only for much lower picks.

Yup, that's an accurate summary. Since 2011, the Chargers have drafted 18th, 18th, 11th, 25th, 15th, and now 3rd. So when they say they're offering an objectively better contract than they've offered to any other pick under the new CBA, they're making a pretty disingenuous claim because none of their previous picks are actual comps for where he was drafted.

Imagine being a Chargers fan. You watch your team go 4-12 last season, but then see the silver lining of the #3 pick in the next draft. They draft Bosa, who might be really good and you think "Great, this guy will help us improve next season." Then, the team decides to play hardball when the current CBA was designed to avoid situations like this and Bosa is unsigned with just over 2 weeks before the season starts.

Priceless, this coming from the guy who held out through two preseason games. Maybe Bosa hurt his toe maybe that's why he doesn't want to play?

Tomlinson puts more pressure on Bosa

Any time LaDainian Tomlinson says you're wrong, that's a pretty firm indication that you're right. If LaDainian Tomlinson has a problem with what you're doing, you're probably doing the right thing. If LaDainian Tomlinson making a staggeringly hypocritical statement, that's just par for the course and happens anytime he speaks.

Last edited:
It really hasn't taken long for the NFL and its corrupt little brother BSPN to kick the smear Joey Bosa campaign into full swing has it. Bastards.

Assuming he's not going to sign, the damage to Bosa will be a few million, assuming he gets drafted again. Probably what, 2-3 million?

The damage to an organization in losing its 1st round draft pick is huge, we all know that. I'm sure you can put a number on it that is much higher than a few million should the player not be a bust.

But think about the position this puts the Chargers in in the future. They can't risk losing another 1st round draft pick any time soon, they'd look like a team of idiots. Which means they can't play hardball for a long, long time. Got to figure this alone is going to end up costing them a lot more than if they hadn't been cheap idiots.

I think the Chargers would get a compensatory pick next year wouldn't they? If they did receive one, it would probably be at the end of the 1st round?

I guess i can ask google

UPDATE: I was incorrect, the Chargers would receive nothing in compensation and be totally bent over while being laughed at by everyone

Hope Bosa stands his ground

Last edited:
I think the Chargers would get a compensatory pick next year wouldn't they? If they did receive one, it would probably be at the end of the 1st round?

I guess i can ask google

I assumed not, so I'd love to hear the answer to this if they do get some sort of compensation.

I can say I know for sure, but I've never heard of anything that says failing to sign a draft pick results in any sort of compensatory draft pick.

To answer my own question, everything ive read so far suggests that the Chargers would be BONED if Bosa sits the year and re-enters draft

That means he actually has more leverage as far as who has more to lose

I guess i can ask google

I don't think there's any compensatory pick given to teams that fail to sign their. Not 100% sure of that, but pretty confident that it's the case.

To answer my own question, everything ive read so far suggests that the Chargers would be BONED if Bosa sits the year and re-enters draft

That means he actually has more leverage as far as who has more to lose

Nice. Bosa loses a few million. The chargers lose a 1st rounder (and everything that comes with that in terms of potential benefit to the franchise) and lose the ability to try to strong arm their picks for the foreseeable future. If I'm an agent for someone drafted by the Chargers next year I'm licking my chops. Hell, even if they manage to sign Bosa you got to know they'll take a few years before trying to pull **** like this again which, again, gives the advantage to the player imo.

The funny thing is Bosa doesn't even fit into the Chargers scheme, remember when they drafted him there was gasps of why did they do that.

nope...refused to watch.

bosa has most of the leverage because the charger girls have a stadium vote coming up in november and this makes them look cheap so why should the fans support a new stadium. of course charger fans aren't all that bright.

free HD streams are your friend.

This might explain a few things. Bosa is represented by CAA(aka Tom Condon's agency)

Who’s to blame for the Chargers-Joey Bosa fiasco? Everyone./WashPost

The Chargers believe the power play was, above all else, a matter of Condon not wanting to place Manning on the same team as then-Chargers quarterback Drew Brees.

A series of meetings with Archie Manning and phone calls with Condon resulted in no progress. The Chargers ultimately drafted Manning and worked out a deal to trade him to the New York Giants for Philip Rivers and other draft picks. All along, the Chargers felt the Mannings and Condon had steered Eli toward New York.

At that time, Condon’s IMG agency represented Brees, LaDainian Tomlinson, Donnie Edwards, head coach Marty Schottenheimer, offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, among others in the organization.

The Chargers have since ’04 done multiple contracts with Condon clients, including with Tomlinson and Antonio Gates. But it is no coincidence that the team does not negotiate with agents for coaches, and there can be no denying that Smith’s philosophy regarding the team’s hard-line stance in negotiations was shaped in those months.

“A player could be represented by superagent Tom Condon or his next-door neighbor,” Smith said this week. “It really is the same procedure for us. You either like what you’re hearing from us, or you don’t.”

MANNING MOVEMENTS STIR SPANOS’ CONCERN ABOUT AGENTS’ POWER/UTSD

Last edited:
There isn't a way to sign and trade him? I'm not clear on that.

I don't think that's necessarily true.

San Diego could sign him and trade him. The team he was traded to would have to have to fit him into their rookie pool.

He'd basically have to sign way under market deal. However, he could sign a three year deal which gives him restricted free agency after year three and the right to renegotiate after year two. Bosa would be taking all the risk with that, and San Diego could probably get a 2017 #1 in that deal.

It's silly at this point for both parties. San Diego gains little by getting offset language (if he's so bad they cut him -- he's only going to get a minimum deal) and holding the bonus a few months. Bosa doesn't lose much by accepting the Chargers offer. Read "The Zax" by Dr. Suess for a good description.

The Chargers will always be the team that gave up on Drew Brees and replaced him with Philip Rivers. Complete mystery to me how that seems like a good idea or why it happened. But just sticks of incompetence.

Bosa sounds like he belongs in Foxboro, where the fan base truly appreciates victims of the NFL power structures and their crony media stooges.

The Chargers will always be the team that gave up on Drew Brees and replaced him with Philip Rivers. Complete mystery to me how that seems like a good idea or why it happened. But just sticks of incompetence.

Bosa sounds like he belongs in Foxboro, where the fan base truly appreciates victims of the NFL power structures and their crony media stooges.
Rivers is a very good player in his own right too. Brees became far better after he left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST