PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The chances that Brady's successor is a FA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Just putting this out there amid all the talk that the Patriots should, will, must draft Brady's successor in 2018.

The draft class offers a deep group of potential franchise QBs with Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Allen, but they are likely to go top 10. The secondary group of Rudolph and Jackson is too risky for my liking at #32.

The list of available vet QBs this offseason is staggering. Cousins, Smith, Taylor, Bradford, McCarron, Foles, Keenum and Bridgewater are all vets who could start for another team in 2018. Dalton, Tannahill, Bortles and Manning are all in tenuous positions.

What it all comes down to is that there are going to be more QBs on the market than there will be jobs for QBs. I predict that somebody from the vet group is going to be available at high level backup money.

What are the chances that the Patriots sign someone from this group (say Keenum or Bridgewater) to a two year deal, then move a high pick up to 2019. This gives the team an immediate upgrade at backup, allows them an evaluation period, and moves draft capital up if they need to grab a signal caller higher near the top of the draft.

I've wondered why not a bridge guy like (I'm not naming any one particular player) Brees, Roth, Ryan, Rivers who finds a year or two with BB interesting and comes over until the Pats find the permanent solution.

Ride Brady until he's 50 if you can. Don't worry about the backup. And as long as BB is here, someone better than Keenum or Bridgewater will be available pretty quickly for Bill. Are we really worried about nothing?

Just putting this out there amid all the talk that the Patriots should, will, must draft Brady's successor in 2018.

The draft class offers a deep group of potential franchise QBs with Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Allen, but they are likely to go top 10. The secondary group of Rudolph and Jackson is too risky for my liking at #32.

The list of available vet QBs this offseason is staggering. Cousins, Smith, Taylor, Bradford, McCarron, Foles, Keenum and Bridgewater are all vets who could start for another team in 2018. Dalton, Tannahill, Bortles and Manning are all in tenuous positions.

What it all comes down to is that there are going to be more QBs on the market than there will be jobs for QBs. I predict that somebody from the vet group is going to be available at high level backup money.

What are the chances that the Patriots sign someone from this group (say Keenum or Bridgewater) to a two year deal, then move a high pick up to 2019. This gives the team an immediate upgrade at backup, allows them an evaluation period, and moves draft capital up if they need to grab a signal caller higher near the top of the draft.

Very good point. A lot of what makes a good qb is his education in the first few years. You don't have to look far to see many very high picked QBs wrecked by being in a disastrous system. Might be names you didn't list too as the Pats scouting is deep and bad habits are hard to reverse.

What quarterback is going to choose to replace Tom Brady?

I think that's a horrible job for most free agents, you want to be the guy after the guy who replaces Tom Brady.

Don’t need to draft anyone. Garoppolo will be released by the time Brady retires and he’ll be signed here.

I could see a stopgap solution if they don't love this draft vlass, but long term I think his heir lies in a draft.

I think it'll be one of Mike White, Luke Faulk, Lamar Jackson, or Riley Ferguson.

I've wondered why not a bridge guy like (I'm not naming any one particular player) Brees, Roth, Ryan, Rivers who finds a year or two with BB interesting

This makes no sense whatsoever. All four of those guys are more expensive than JG would have been, and you run into the same backup wants to start situation. Beyond that, it is possible that all of those guys retire before Brady does, which negates the very advantage keeping JG offered.

All your idea does is recreate the Jimmy problem, while somehow making it worse!

If you offered those names as generic "late career FA signee" then this is the obvious emergency plan in the event other plans fall through. Of course, even guys as good as the ones you've mentioned rarely become FAs, so there is no more likelihood it will happen than NE develops another good rookie. The FA you should be discussing are comparable to Foles and Keenum.

All told, a bridge FA is a terrible first option, so long as Brady still has another 2-3 years left.

Last edited:

Might get flamed, not sure, but the guys you mention probably don't want to back up. Hoyer could be the best "bridge" verteran back up who is not going to want to start we could hope for. At Brady's age, we need to draft his replacement maybe the next draft but I would not wait if there is a QB they like available.

As strange as it may sound Hoyer might be the best back up veteran we could hope while the young QB is developing.

Might get flamed, not sure, but the guys you mention probably don't want to back up. Hoyer could be the best "bridge" verteran back up who is not going to want to start we could hope for. At Brady's age, we need to draft his replacement maybe the next draft but I would not wait if there is a QB they like available.

As strange as it may sound Hoyer might be the best back up veteran we could hope while the young QB is developing.
Hoyer is the best veteran backup/bridge QB we could have to help develop the rookie, and perhaps even to step in as starter for a year or two. Biggest thing isn't even his on the field experience, it's that he's a known quantity well familiar with the Patriot Way. He won't be a problem and he won't cause any problems. Any other veteran QB is a risk in those areas.

No. Get a young guy with a blank slate in the system and mold him. I don’t want another teams rejects.

These guys obviously don't want to be backups, but we may be headed into a rare situation in which there are more than 32 viable QBs.

My my estimation, 23 teams have starters locked in for 2018 (NE, MIA, PIT, BAL, CIN, IND, TEN, HOU, OAK, LAC, KC, DAL, PHI, GB, DET, CHI, CAR, TB, ATL, NO, LAR, SEA, SF). That number may very well be higher, as it does not include Cousins, Bortles, Manning or any of Minnesota's QBs.

Now you add 10 vets with either successful starting experience, or whom have been projected as possible starters, potentially entering the market (Cousins, Smith, Taylor, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford, Bortles, Manning, Foles, McCarron).

Throw in Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield who will probably be counted on to start sometime in 2018, and you are looking at 36 QBs who will be viewed as starting caliber.

My point boils down to the fact that I am not comfortable with the prospect of drafting a project in the first two rounds. I would rather those picks either spent bolstering the roster for Brady's final years, or moving value to target a lower risk QB in 2019 or 2020.

Should that be the plan, and if cap space allows, there is at least potential that someone from this free agent class that could emerge as a suitable starter a couple years down the road.

These guys obviously don't want to be backups, but we may be headed into a rare situation in which there are more than 32 viable QBs.

My my estimation, 23 teams have starters locked in for 2018 (NE, MIA, PIT, BAL, CIN, IND, TEN, HOU, OAK, LAC, KC, DAL, PHI, GB, DET, CHI, CAR, TB, ATL, NO, LAR, SEA, SF). That number may very well be higher, as it does not include Cousins, Bortles, Manning or any of Minnesota's QBs.

Now you add 10 vets with either successful starting experience, or whom have been projected as possible starters, potentially entering the market (Cousins, Smith, Taylor, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford, Bortles, Manning, Foles, McCarron).

Throw in Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield who will probably be counted on to start sometime in 2018, and you are looking at 36 QBs who will be viewed as starting caliber.

My point boils down to the fact that I am not comfortable with the prospect of drafting a project in the first two rounds. I would rather those picks either spent bolstering the roster for Brady's final years, or moving value to target a lower risk QB in 2019 or 2020.

Should that be the plan, and if cap space allows, there is at least potential that someone from this free agent class that could emerge as a suitable starter a couple years down the road.
So then Hoyer is your best option.. based on your logic really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back