Well, the college football season is over. Time for my first mock. :D

1. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington

2. Dominique Easley, DT, Florida

3. Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois

4. Terrance West, RB, Towson

6. Chris Davis, CB, Auburn

6. Rob Blanchflower, TE, Umass

7. Jordan Lynch, football player, Northern Illinois

Too much offense and two FCS players, weird.

Well, the college football season is over. Time for my first mock. :D

1. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington

2. Dominique Easley, DT, Florida

3. Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois

4. Terrance West, RB, Towson

6. Chris Davis, CB, Auburn

6. Rob Blanchflower, TE, Umass

7. Jordan Lynch, football player, Northern Illinois

Too much offense and two FCS players, weird.

Because of his injury history, I'm a little unsure about Easley in the 2nd and I'd personally go Logan Thomas over Lynch, but aside from those minor niggles, this is a really nice mock.

I'm not sure if I'd use a 3rd on a QB & a 4th on a RB. And no Offensive Linemen anywhere?

Talib leaves.
Resign Edelman
Mallett for 4th and conditional 2015
sign Scott Chandler TE

1. trade down for mid 2nd and low 3rd

2a. Odell Beckham Jr. WR
2b. Aaron Donald DT
3a. Weston Richburg C
3b. Aaron Colvin CB
4. Stanley-Jean Baptiste CB
4. Marcus Smith DE
6. Cody Latimer WR
6. Spencer Shuey LB
6. Trey Millard FB
7. Bryn Renner QB

Here's an alternate:

1. Jace Amaro TE
2. 3rd and 4th
3. Aaron Colvin CB
3. WEston Richburg C
4. Deandre Coleman DT
4. Stanley Jean Baptiste CB
6. Cody Latimer WR
6. Spencer Shuey LB
6. Trey Millard FB
7. Bryn Renner QB

I'm not sure if I'd use a 3rd on a QB & a 4th on a RB. And no Offensive Linemen anywhere?
The New England Patriots definitely need to start retooling the offensive line this year. Ryan Wendell needs to go and Will Svitek will be 32 years old when unrestricted free agency commences.

Elvis Fisher (IR) was, a couple of years ago, talked of as being one of the better LTs in college football and Braxston Cave (PS) was an accomplished college center. I'm not saying they should be all but it's not like there isn't any potential depth already.

I'm really high on Garoppolo. He's my 3rd QB behind Bridgewater/Manziel. BB drafted a 3rd round QB when Brady was 31 and 34 as well. The more impactful pick could of been a center or a guard, but I support BB's method of developing QBs and trying to strike gold.

West is a real intriguing powerback prospect and would replace Blount. 2500 yards, 6.1 ypc, and 41 TDs this year!

Braxston Cave (PS) was an accomplished college center. I'm not saying they should be all but it's not like there isn't any potential depth already.
Cave was abysmal at the Senior Bowl, was drafted by the Cleveland Browns, was abysmal for the Cleveland Browns during training camp, and was subsequently cut by the Cleveland Browns.

Cave was abysmal at the Senior Bowl, was drafted by the Cleveland Browns, was abysmal for the Cleveland Browns during training camp, and was subsequently cut by the Cleveland Browns.

As a rookie, Wes Welker was waived by the Chargers. And Cave has been on the Patriots PS for most of the season.

As a rookie, Wes Welker was waived by the Chargers. And Cave has been on the Patriots PS for most of the season.
Which means absolutely nothing to me. Marcus Forston has been on the New England Patriots practice squad for two years.

Whatever. When you stop being an arse in your continuing quest to always be right, I'll engage with you but not when you're like this.

Whatever. When you stop being an arse in your continuing quest to always be right, I'll engage with you but not when you're like this.
No, you're the one who always has to be right.

Your Tim Tebow quest was an abject failure.

Haven't been around for a while, but here's a quick and dirty take, with a bit of optimism.

FA and Down the Road (may not all happen before the draft):

- Pats re-sign CB Aqib Talib, WR/PR Julian Edelman, RB LeGarrette Blount, LB Dane Fletcher, DT Sealver Siliga, LS Danny Aiken.
- Brandon Spikes and Ryan Wendell walk in FA
- Pats sign Josh Kline, and re-sign Nick McDonald; Dan Connolly is a cap casualty. Will Svitek would be worth resigning if the Pats can find the $$$
- Pats cut Isaac Sopoaga; Tommy Kelly restructures for lower $$$; Vince Wilfork either restructures or the Pats sign a UFA DT such as Linvale Joseph (Giants)
- Pats sign UFA TE Brandon Pettigrew (Detroit)

Draft

- Pats trade Ryan Mallett to Cleveland for #36 or to Houston for #33. If not now, never, and this is just a mock, so why not?

1. Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford. 6'6" 265#.

640px-2013_Trent_Murphy_OLB_UCLA_at_Stanford_(28).jpg

I predict Murphy will be a better pro than Jadeveon Clowney, and a perfect fit for the Pats. Chandler Jones played 98.1% of the defensive snaps in 2013 and Rob Ninkovich 95.6%, and that's too much. Andre Carter has nothing yet, Jake Bequette has done nothing in 2 years, and Michael Buchanan is promising but hasn't proven he will be more than a situational player. I see DE as a bigger need than DT once everything gets sorted out. Murphy is a blue collar guy who is a bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic Ninkovich, with incredible toughness and intensity. He'll be a mixture of Chris Long and JJ Watt. Kony Ealy is intriguing, but Murphy will be a stud.

2a. Travis Swanson, OC, Arkansas. 6'4" 318#.

uspw_4892792-610x427.gif

Swanson will be another Alex Mack/Eric Woods, and another perfect fit for the Pats. He has great size, experience, intelligence and athleticism.

2b. Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville. 6'2" 208#.

NCAASL12272011-330.jpg

Pryor is a heavy hitter with decent range, who will complement Devin McCourty nicely. Think Dashon Goldson. Lamarcus Joyner or Kyle Fuller would be nice, too.

3. Richard Rogers, TE/H-Back, Cal. 6'4" 245#.

628x471.jpg

Rogers is way underrated right now. He's a poor man's Eric Ebron (and not that much poorer), at much better value.

4. Billy Turner, OL, North Dakota St. 6'6" 314#.

turner.jpg

Turner can play tackle, but will be a stud at LG in a year or two. He has great size, a mean streak, and good versatility and athleticism. He could be another Mankins. Turner is my top guard prospect along with David Yankey and La'el Collins.

6a (from Philly). Jonathan Dowling, DB, Western Kentucky. 6' 2 1/2" 198#.

SIDU6.AuSt.70.jpeg

Dowling is a big time talent who was recruited to Florida by Urban Meyer, and kicked off for violating team rules. He's been clean for 2 years at Western Kentucky. He can play FS or CB.

6b. Brent Urban, DT/DE, Virginia. 6'7" 295#.

52229d5886079.image.jpg

Draftinsider (Tony Pauline's site) rates Urban as a 2nd round talent. He has been the best player on Virginia's defense. He was recruited by Al Groh to play 3-4 DE, but has played mostly 4-3 DT. Urban and Armond Armstead (assuming he recovers and comes back) would provide nice options who can play both inside and outside on the DL.

6 (projected comp). Trey Millard, FB/H-Back, Oklahoma. 6'3" 253#.

Trey+Millard+Texas+v+Oklahoma+h33FwWelRUhl.jpg

I expect James Develin to stick next year, but the Pats could still find room for Millard, who is an all-purpose guy with tremendous versality. He and Rogers will provide what we missed this year with Aaron Hernandez behind bars.

6 (projected comp). De'Anthony Thomas, XB, Oregon. 5'9" 170#.

de_anthony_thomas.jpg

Thomas' stock has plummeted, but he is great value here and worth a shot. The Pats need an all-purpose backup to Shane Vereen. Thomas will be a nightmare matchup, and is deadly in space. If the Pats wanted a bigger receiving back, UCF's Storm Johnson could be an option here.

7. Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech. 6'6" 254#.

usp-ncaa-football_-russell-athletic-bowl-rutgers-v-4_3.jpg

Worth a shot this late. His mechanics are terrible, but the potential is there. If the Pats do trade Mallett they will bring in a low cost veteran backup for TB.

That's my 2 cents worth at this early juncture. BTW, a shout out to Manx (and others) for the outstanding work he's done on the draft board from what little I've seen.

great to see you back Mayo. Hopefully you'll join us through the draft. This forum is poorer without you and Brother Merrill.

Nice to see that we agree on four prospects too in Swanson, Rodgers, Turner and Thomas and I'm going to have to watch Calvin Pryor because he's getting plenty of buzz.

great to see you back Mayo. Hopefully you'll join us through the draft. This forum is poorer without you and Brother Merrill.

Nice to see that we agree on four prospects too in Swanson, Rodgers, Turner and Thomas and I'm going to have to watch Calvin Pryor because he's getting plenty of buzz.

Thanks. I doubt I'll be back regularly, but I'll try to chime in from time to time.

Good mock from Walter for the Patriots. Sefarian-Jenkins in the 1st, Swanson in the 2nd, and DaQuan Jones (DT) in the 3rd.

It's always wishful thinking but that works for me.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back