PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tarik Glenn retiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if he does come back, you'd have to question how effective he'll be if he's seriously thinking about retirement. Honestly, it's the "short timers syndrome" you see at work when a guy already has one foot out the door. Is Tarik Glenn really going to put his heart and soul into it if he needs to be coaxed back into playing one more year?

Call me crazy but if I'm the Pats, my whole defensive gameplan against the Colts this year is to load up that right side against Glenn and make him prove that he's still got it.
Unfortunately, by the time we play them on week 10, the Colts will probably have this figured out by then.

Sorry, quite right. And there's no question that Polian has rolled the dice very well in past drafts. I'll still call this pick a poor value, though. A #1 to get a 2nd-rounder in a very weak draft class...and NOT a suprise drop but simply a round-2 prospect with some major question marks around him. It's a classic need-based reach.

That being said, I may be seeing this through Pats-draft glasses. Ugoh was a guy I crossed off my Patriots board early. An ideal Pats OL prospect is in the Logan Mankins mode: Maybe not the most imposing physical specimen but extremely quick, technically sound, great with his hands and feet, a hard-working team leader off the field and a nasty bastard on it. That is NOT Tony Ugoh. But in another system he may well flourish.

The Colts typically draft in the late 20's and the pick that they got from the Niners was the 10th pick in the second round (about 10 or 12 picks later than where the Colts' 1st pick has been). So, it's not as if they likely traded a top 15 pick for late 2nd round pick. I'm not sure why you call this a need based pick, Glenn just recently let the Colts know that he wanted to retire. Ugoh is a typical Polian pick. Polian drafts one or two years ahead to replace free agents. Glenn has one year on his contract ans Ugoh was seen as his future replacement.

On a side note, I don't know why people have an issue with need based picks. Most picks are need based. There are the "all things being equal" picks, but there are more need based picks. Wasn't Meriweather a need based pick? The problem is when you reach based on need and pass on better players that can help fill other needs on your team.

The Colts typically draft in the late 20's and the pick that they got from the Niners was the 10th pick in the second round (about 10 or 12 picks later than where the Colts' 1st pick has been). So, it's not as if they likely traded a top 15 pick for late 2nd round pick. I'm not sure why you call this a need based pick, Glenn just recently let the Colts know that he wanted to retire. Ugoh is a typical Polian pick. Polian drafts one or two years ahead to replace free agents. Glenn has one year on his contract ans Ugoh was seen as his future replacement.

On a side note, I don't know why people have an issue with need based picks. Most picks are need based. There are the "all things being equal" picks, but there are more need based picks. Wasn't Meriweather a need based pick? The problem is when you reach based on need and pass on better players that can help fill other needs on your team.

The pick was fine. They could have waited a year but Polian picked someone he thinks is best for the team. It is what it is and shouldn't be read into anymore. They clearly thought that he was a good value for that late a pick and nabbed him. As for need-based picks, if they help the team more than the "best-value" player, then they will be taken.

Meriweather was sort of a need-based pick. They have five potential starters for the two starting safety positions. Inside Linebacker was the position in the most need (longterm).

I'm not sure why you call this a need based pick, Glenn just recently let the Colts know that he wanted to retire. Ugoh is a typical Polian pick. Polian drafts one or two years ahead to replace free agents. Glenn has one year on his contract ans Ugoh was seen as his future replacement.

I think you just answered your own question! :) A "need" doesn't have have to be for this year, as you clearly know since you call Meriweather a need pick below. The Pats had a solid safety lineup already with Harrison, Wilson, Sanders, Hawkins, Scott. It's an urgent need for 2008, just like LT for the Colts.

Again, we agree. Which is why my post specifically said need-based reach. And once again, it's not the concept that bothers me in this case, it's the particular player. If he does become a legitimate starting LT, it's worth it. I'd just be nervous counting on that.

I think you just answered your own question! :) A "need" doesn't have have to be for this year, as you clearly know since you call Meriweather a need pick below. The Pats had a solid safety lineup already with Harrison, Wilson, Sanders, Hawkins, Scott. It's an urgent need for 2008, just like LT for the Colts.

Again, we agree. Which is why my post specifically said need-based reach. And once again, it's not the concept that bothers me in this case, it's the particular player. If he does become a legitimate starting LT, it's worth it. I'd just be nervous counting on that.

The Colts' pick really wasn't a need based pick at the time. They were looking towards the future. It wasn't until Tarik said he wasn't coming back that it looked like a need pick.

The last part wasn't directed towards your comments, but more to the concept in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes