PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Surprise Stars this year?

I had a gut feeling about Thompkins the day he was signed and said so.

I'm sticking with him.

It might just be wishful thinking but he's already raising some eyebrows.

One of my binkies that year. d%#*!@t! we could have had him this year too in Leon McFadden. d%#*!@t x 2!!

Would of loved to have him, I think his ball skills are incredible. What do you think of Logan Ryan, I see modest similarities, Heyward is more athletic.

Would of loved to have him, I think his ball skills are incredible. What do you think of Logan Ryan, I see modest similarities, Heyward is more athletic.

Meh! I'm afraid. Heyward and McFadden are much better.

Edit: Whilst I agree on his ball skills, did you see his Arkansas game? Dropped six interceptions! Of course, being in position to make six interceptions in one game is something :)

I had a gut feeling about Thompkins the day he was signed and said so.

I'm sticking with him.

It might just be wishful thinking but he's already raising some eyebrows.

I will ask the question; if Thompkins was not arrested more times than Ryan Leaf what type of draft pick do you think he would of been?

I'm going with Tommy Kelly. Considering he used to be a top DT in the league, it is a bit of stretch. But he had a down season last year and many people think he is done. I think he and not Adrian Wilson could have the Rodney Harrison rebound (many people in the media are comparing Wilson to Harrison). I think he could be a pass rush demon and be a Pro Bowler again.

i agree i think Kelly will have a Pro Bowl type season and i think the younger Wilson will start at SS not Adrian i think he will literally replace Chung as the #3 or #4 safety on the team

Casey Hayward

Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def
2012 Green Bay Packers 16 53 40.0 13 0 6 81 13.5 24 0 20

Mainly, I said this because he was the pick that the Pats traded the Packers for. Similar I think to Clay Mathews Jr.

Hopefully at least 2 receivers. Anybody except Amendola & Gronk would probably be rated a "surprise".

I'll go with Dobkins, Ballard & Thompkins.

Hopefully at least 2 receivers. Anybody except Amendola & Gronk would probably be rated a "surprise".

I'll go with Dobkins, Ballard & Thompkins.

Dobkins??

Did BB go into the lab and meld these guys together?:confused:

Don't know if people will consider it a surprise but I'm going to go with Hightower.

Quentin Sims! He couldn't catch the ball the first day of the camp. Noticed that at the weekend he was getting open and catching the ball with some consistency. Kamar Aiken seems to be heading in the negative direction.

Re: Re: Surprise Stars this year?

Dobkins??

Did BB go into the lab and meld these guys together?:confused:

After a marathon session of watching Archer last year, I spent half a day referring to Woodhead as Woodhouse in all my posts. :|

After a marathon session of watching Archer last year, I spent half a day referring to Woodhead as Woodhouse in all my posts. :|

At least you didn't call him Woodcóck. :p

The defense, while not choosing anyone in particular, this will be a very surprising, versatile and deep defense that will often defy description..

Does that also explain the username?

With McCourty and Adrian Wilson starting at Safety, I highly doubt Tavon Wilson will see many snaps unless one of them gets injured for an extended amount of time.

I also think he's a bust. Just my 2 cents, but it was a bad pick at the time and he hasn't shown much to prove otherwise.

Lmao, he's only a "bust" because you want him to be one, he was by no means a "bust" in his rookie season. It's amazing that being right as a draftnik means more to you than seeing a 2nd rounder turn into a good player. As things stand A. Wilson will likely see alot of action on run downs and possibly as a LB hybrid but T. Wilsson should be on the field for the more obvious passing downs. If he seriously regresses and doesn't see the field this season you can start talking about bust but right now the only bust was your really lame post.

Shane Vereen is the player I really expect to have a breakout season but i will also put hightower and McCourty in there as I think McCourty is going to turn into an All Pro caliber safety and Hightower is going to turn into the player we all expected him to be when he was drafted.

One more name, Marcus Cannon, who is going to win their RG job and become a really good guard for them this year.

It's hilarious how people who call him a bust after a season love to ignore that the fact that depending on the week he was the 3rd or 4th safety.

Mark Barron played 99 percent of Tampa's defensive snaps (most on the team)
88 tackles, 10 PD, 1 INT, 1 FF, 5 STF

Harrison Smith played 92 percent of Minnesota's defensive snaps
104 tackles, 11 PD, 3 INT, 1 Sack, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 STF

Tavon Wilson played 42 percent of New England's defensive snaps
44 tackles, 6 PD, 4 INT, 2 FR

You want to what the safeties that were taken after Wilson in rounds 3-5 contributed.

Brandon Taylor (3rd round, #73 overall)- 6 tackles
Brandon Hardin (3rd round, #79 overall) - injured reserve
Christian Thompson (4th round, #130 overall)- nothing recorded
Jerron McMillian (4th round, #133 overall)- 27 tackles, 5 PD, 1 INT
Matt Johnson (4th round, #135 overall)- injured reserve
Corey White (5th round, #162 overall)- 31 tackles, 3 PD, 1 INT
George Iloka (5th round, #167 overall)- 2 tackles

The Tavon Wilson haters are really transparent in their frustration that he wasn't the BUST they were all hoping he would be. As you demonstrated he was actually one off the most productive rookie safeties and not the FAIL they were all hoping for. I have much more respect for the draftniks who are actually able to admit they are wrong about some prospects than those who believe being right about a draft pick is more important than their success, and unfortunately there are way too many who really think they are NFL caliber talent evaluators, when in fact they are really no better at it than anyone else.

And once again, to be clear about it, there are plenty of Patriot draftniks who provide good analysis and information about the prospects each offseason, it is those who actually believe they are better talent evaluators than Belichick and his staff and want players to fail or succeed so they can be right instead of the team prospering that i am referring to, and they know who they are.

Re: Re: Surprise Stars this year?

Does that also explain the username?

Yup.. and does anyone else think the Red Zone needs to be renamed the "Danger Zone" simply for the fun factor of it?

Of course I am slightly biased.. :D

And to keep this slightly on topic. Even with our turn-over in(carcerated) offense, Im actually really excited to see what Brady can do with several tall receivers with some real upside to them.

It seems like we have the potential for several break-out, surprise stars this year on both sides of the ball.. more so than usual imo.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back