PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Super Bowl LII could be final game for Danny Amendola

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a lot tougher to use those loopholes when most of your income is W-2 wages, though. Plenty of available shenanigans to shield business income, real estate income, investment income, etc. But W-2 wages are very hard to offset.
But are they W2 wages? Or 1099s?

There are still lots of deductions for out of pocket unreimbursed expenses to help offset all the agents' fees, other professional advisors, etc. that I think can be used either way. So I think that effective rate could certainly be improved upon.

Speaking of taxes, do the players have to pay income tax to the state where they play road games? That would make tax time a real bear. If they do, they must hate being forced to play 2 games every year in New York/New Jersey. :)
or California. Or Taxachusetts.

But are they W2 wages? Or 1099s?
It is W-2 wages. Presumably the players get more creative with their endorsement deals. But with respect to their teams they are employees and don't come close to meeting the tests to be considered independent contractors.

I think the Pats need to give Amendola a nice bonus and incentives. He has been making huge plays while Edelman been out. This duo together are just amazing when you put Gronk in the middle.

Cooks can stretch the field and I expect him to become even better next year.
Dorsett I have some high hopes for him, he is new, if he shows he is promising he might be a key guy to have next year if he sticks around.

Amendola has been money in the playoffs. You also need to consider injury prone players in Gronk & Edelman. This would be a mistake of epic proportions.

It is W-2 wages. Presumably the players get more creative with their endorsement deals. But with respect to their teams they are employees and don't come close to meeting the tests to be considered independent contractors.

Yeah, I don't think there are many ways to avoid taxes on straight up W-2 wages, not of any significance at that level. These guys are rich, they aren't wealthy. The wealthy generally don't make their wealth by getting paid for working, they make it other ways, and the tax system is set up to help them avoid reportable income. To make up for that, income on work is taxed with few escape windows. Some of those windows just closed with the latest tax law, such as the SALT limit, which will hit the players in Mass. very hard. Indiana, on the other hand, is a much lower income tax state, so playing for the Colts provides an increase in retained compensation even with the same contract.

I am not sure it would be a good idea for Josh to over pay a soon to be 33 year old receiver. Like others have already stated, the pats have done a great job managing DA's snaps. If Josh tries to use him like Edleman, I don't think he would last a season.

He lives in Rhode Island with his Miss Universe-winning girlfriend who was born, raised and lives in Rhode Island.

He’s not leaving Brady and the Patriots to go play with the freakin Colts in Indiana.

The WR corps does look a little crowded but DA is nothing if not a survivor. His role as solid punt return handler will likely be seen as important to BB as his WR role. His role as Edelman insurance - with JE coming back off injury - will never be more important than this year, but it’s very important next year too. I hope and think he gets a decent 2 yr (prob incentive laden) deal and takes it. He was never what we assumed him to be when he was signed, but has always been exactly what the team needed. If BB finds value in various ST and role players on a lesser level than DA I don’t see how he misses what this guy does.

Eh...too

Eh...too thin
too thin???

SideTrack: Tom Brady, Olivia Culpo, Chase Carter and more...

013018oliviaculpo.jpg

Combination of both really. Him not getting paid enough for his services and leaving with McDaniels since he is the reason Amendola was there in the first place.

I dont get why people keep calling him underpaid. He is essentially the WR5 (Cooks, Edelman, Hogan, MM..) and gets good money for that role. Just because injuries pushed him close to a WR2 role this season it doesnt mean that he suddenly inherited the same role for future seasons.

The Pats will (hopefully) offer him again a similar contract that works for both sides where most is guaranteed which means that he will once again be a virtual roster lock and not go through camp just to get cut and stand around empty handed.

That is what all those people who claim that Dola was on the roster bubble dont get. The one thing that Dola (and his agent) knew they needed to avoid in the last two offseasons is to be in a contract situation that made him a cheap cut at the end of August. Because this means going through TC for no reason at all and then being behind in terms of signing with other teams. Instead he exchanged the amount of money he was getting for a higher likelihood to be on the roster with a guaranteed 3M cap hit.

Now if the Colts and McD offer him a 5M contract which would be close to twice the money he gets here things will become interesting. The thing is that at this point I think everyone involved can agree that his body can only take so much so he cant be counted to be a consistent WR2 or WR3. He needs to be managed so the question is if the Colts (or any other team) would overpay for that much for what they know is a small role.

DA has developed roots here with Culpo, is accepted into this community well, a playoff legend.. he has made over 20 million as an NFL player...

Not sure money is the only factor.. going to a team that is rebuilding may not be the best answer for him, McDaniels is good but probably not a miracle worker...

Amendola will sign a 3 year deal in NE to finish his career with Brady and Edelman. He will get paid decently and have a shot at more rings. It hasn’t been about the money for him, that’s obvious, winning, especially with his friends, is clearly what matters most.

Now, if he wanted to become a dentist after he hangs them up then I could see moving to Indiana to establish himself.

Assuming that Amendola wants to play another year should the Pats sign him?

I am thinking yes

DA will have plenty Options with Patriots Coaches to finish his career. McDaniels - Patricia - Vrabel and side show Bob O'Brien. Danny would be a very nice WR off the bench he's proven that he's Clutch!:cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference