PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stidham was/is not injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The results after Matt Cassell are absolutely brutal.

Garopollo and Brissett both basically played 1.5 games before getting hurt. Brissett gutted it our against the Bills, before going on IR, ... given the results we probably should have just started Edelman for the LOLs.

Then Newton tests positive for COVID-19 after three games.
Cassell had Terrible Todd Haley for a HC.

When Charlie Weis joined Haleys KC staff as the OC, the offense got better until offensive Guru Haley got butthurt and reduced Weis's freedom to control the offense. Haley basically forced Weis to quit because of inessive micro management. Either pre or post Weis, the offenses play would constantly get to the QB late because Haley had a 3 person relay system.

The results after Matt Cassell are absolutely brutal.

Garopollo and Brissett both basically played 1.5 games before getting hurt. Brissett gutted it our against the Bills, before going on IR, ... given the results we probably should have just started Edelman for the LOLs.

Then Newton tests positive for COVID-19 after three games.
Actually, those results are fairly common for QBs in the NFL. They get hurt and miss games. Remember one of the reasons we were leery of Cam was his injury history the last couple of seasons. We just got so used to Brady and his durability and dependability that we took it for granted with many making fun for him for his TB12 method with Guerro. It's really not funny when your starting QB is Brian Hoyer and you are playing the defending champs at their house.

A possible upside to Hoyer starting tonight is that if he performs as terribly as some of us are expecting, then maybe he'll be cut upon Cam's return and the extra roster spot will go to somebody who can add more talent/depth at one of our positions of need...Hoyer can then be signed to the PS if nobody else wants him...

Last edited:
A possible upside to Hoyer starting tonight is that if he performs as terribly as some of us are expecting, then maybe he'll be cut upon Cam's return and the extra roster spot will go to somebody who can add more talent/depth at positions of need...Hoyer can then be signed to the PS if nobody else wants him...

I probably would have agreed, once upon a time.

Nowadays I wouldn't consider a player having a terrible game a positive. It would just mean we have less quality depth. I also would never carry less than 3 QBs in a season when players are so vulnerable to being shut down for weeks due to a virus.

Setting the record straight. Hoyer bested Stidham for # 2 and despite Hoyer being 0 - 10 in his last starts is the guy in the biggest game of the season.

Where does it say he was never injured? I only see that he got tests (which implies an ailment) and that the tests came back negative (which implies things weren't broken or torn).

Actually, those results are fairly common for QBs in the NFL. They get hurt and miss games. Remember one of the reasons we were leery of Cam was his injury history the last couple of seasons. We just got so used to Brady and his durability and dependability that we took it for granted with many making fun for him for his TB12 method with Guerro. It's really not funny when your starting QB is Brian Hoyer and you are playing the defending champs at their house.

I don't think it is common to lose 2 quarterbacks in 3 games. And if we add Newton. Its basically losing 3 QBs in 6 games.

That's brutal.

Just because he's not starting tonight, doesn't mean that Stidham won't be playing!!!

The Chiefs aren't the 85 Bears or whatever here. If all the RBs are playing (White and Harris) and the defense shows up this could be a 200+ yard rush and 100 yards passing kinda win. Just can't fall too far behind too fast, which is easier said than done
200 yards rushing and 100 yards passing?

I suspect that Mahomes would only beat us by 2 TD's in that case.

A possible upside to Hoyer starting tonight is that if he performs as terribly as some of us are expecting, then maybe he'll be cut upon Cam's return and the extra roster spot will go to somebody who can add more talent/depth at positions of need...Hoyer can then be signed to the PS if nobody else wants him...
Come on man! Have some faith! I think we can win. A few injuries there, a fumble or 2 and some defensive goodness. BB built this defense specially to beat this team. He wasn't counting on TB actually leaving or Cam having to sit out but he'll be ready. If not we'll lose by a **** tone and we'll watch Mahomes prance around the field like the second coming. Either or I guess...

Stidham is another whiff by Belichick in a long line of whiffs the last few years.
While I don't disagree that BB has had some bad whiffs (mostly 2nd rounders used for draft or trade purposes)...its hard to call a 4th round QB a whiff. Current starting QBs come from the 1st-3rd rd...with only a few notable exceptions (brady-6, prescott-4, cousins-4).

Where does it say he was never injured? I only see that he got tests (which implies an ailment) and that the tests came back negative (which implies things weren't broken or torn).
He was back at practice the following day.

Do you see Sony at practice?

If you can't beat out Hoyer in your 2nd year as a QB it's safe to say that organisation doesn't think much of you.

200 yards rushing and 100 yards passing?

I suspect that Mahomes would only beat us by 2 TD's in that case.
Look a little closer at the plus sign. I think 200+ yards rushing and less than 200 passing could do it but maybe I'm an optimist

I now see why Brady likes Hoyer so much, there was no chance in hell his job was under threat with him. Dude's mental processing is slower than cooling lava.

Pats need to draft a QB in 2021.
Yes, we probably need to draft a quarterback. In any case, we will likely need a backup to Cam or whichever veteran Belichick brings in.

Yes, we probably need to draft a quarterback. In any case, we will likely need a backup to Cam or whichever veteran Belichick brings in.

You think BB will throw the baby out with the bathwater?

I know next man up, but QB is the most important position on the club. There is no hiding their mistakes and we have been spoiled by Brady for 20 years of winning games like last night. Both Hoyer and Stidham were playing on a few days notice.

While I don't disagree that BB has had some bad whiffs (mostly 2nd rounders used for draft or trade purposes)...its hard to call a 4th round QB a whiff. Current starting QBs come from the 1st-3rd rd...with only a few notable exceptions (brady-6, prescott-4, cousins-4).
Agreed. When you draft in the 4th for QB you basically know you are drafting a project that you hope can defy odds

long line of whiffs the last few years.

How many 4th round QBs go on to long/successful careers? If he was a sure-fire prospect he would go at top of round 1....I'd actually argue the Pats have been as successful as anyone in drafting QBs over past several years... especially since they havent spent much draft capital on them. Brady is still starting for Bucs, Cassel had a decent Career, Jimmy G started on a SB runner-up team, Hoyer has started for 7 different teas, Brissett scooped up by the Colts and played OK for them.

How many 4th round QBs go on to long/successful careers? If he was a sure-fire prospect he would go at top of round 1....
This isn't about a long/successful career. This is about being better than awful Hoyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes