PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Status on Alfonzo Dennard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also concerned about Spikes who was walking gingerly back to the sidelines near the end of the game and Welker who left the stadium limping and with an ice bag wrapped on his thigh and upper leg area.
I don't expect to see Spikes until the playoffs. He's clearly playing at less than 100%, and with the Pats not having anything to play for unless Denver loses one game or Houston loses two, it's the perfect chance to rest guys that need it.

Welker is a little trickier, just because all of the receivers (including TEs) are battling something, and they can't rest everybody.

I am sure in 2001 in week 2 that people were saying "How sad is it that we're depending on a 6th round pick with 3 passes in his rookie season to fill the starting QB spot"

That's completely irrelevant to my post since they already had a legitimate starting QB as the starter prior to Brady's arrival, although he didn't fit the new system, and it also ignores the amount of resources spent on the CBs.

Last edited:
While I agree it's ugly, I'd challenge you to show me 5 NFL teams that consistently produce pro bowlers in the secondary, year after year.

While I understand your point, they didn't need Pro Bowlers. They needed serviceable CBs. They couldn't even get that. Fortunately, it looks like they've got a legitimate CB1 in Talib, and a potentially quality, or at least decent, CB2, in Dennard.

I think it's safe to say (as you pointed out) we weren't too good at drafting players in the secondary from 05-2010....

I don't have a problem with Hobbs, who was 2005.

I am also concerned about Spikes who was walking gingerly back to the sidelines near the end of the game and Welker who left the stadium limping and with an ice bag wrapped on his thigh and upper leg area.

Spikes has been dealing with a previous injury for at least a couple/few weeks now.

He was being closely monitored in practice last week, as he rode the exercise bike with Belichick and the trainers closely hovering around him at times.

I would agree with Sciz that we probably won't see him for a couple/few weeks.

We'll probably be seeing more of the injury management aspect now in the next 2 games as we likely are out of the race for the bye, so I am expecting some players who we wouldn't necessarily expect to be sitting out a game or two.

I don't expect to see Spikes until the playoffs. He's clearly playing at less than 100%, and with the Pats not having anything to play for unless Denver loses one game or Houston loses two, it's the perfect chance to rest guys that need it.

Welker is a little trickier, just because all of the receivers (including TEs) are battling something, and they can't rest everybody.

The problem is this is the NFL and anything can happen....would you be shocked if the Browns beat the Broncos (yes, I would be shocked if the Chiefs beat them)?? Or if Houston drops two, one to the vikings AND one to the Colts (colts & vikings will most likely need the wins for playoffs).

If we have a chance to gain the bye, then we have to go for it.

Add to the mix, that our games are at 1:00 and Denver games are 4:00 PM games, so, during the last week - we might not even be able to rest players at all with the hope that Denver loses that last one against the chiefs.

So, it looks like no rest for the weary this year.

It's too bad the coaching staff didn't.

I don't want to see another 7-man blitz putting a JAG 1-on-1 with a #1 receiver ever again. Fricking heck.

Fan critics have been criticising Bill Belichick for his BBDB defense and calling for more blitzes. They have been saying he has grown senile while not blitzing.

Well you saw the consequences of a big blitz. Get the QB or give up a TD. THAT is why BB likes BBDB.

Fan critics have been criticising Bill Belichick for his BBDB defense and calling for more blitzes. They have been saying he has grown senile while not blitzing.

Well you saw the consequences of a big blitz. Get the QB or give up a TD. THAT is why BB likes BBDB.
I saw the consequence of a nickel DB not suited to the position he was playing whiff on a tackle. You can argue the playcall all you like, all Arrington had to do was tackle Crabtree. That was it.

Last edited:
Since 2008, the team has drafted

Wilhite (4)
Wheatley (2)
McCourty (2)
Dowling (2)
Butler (2)

all well above Mr. Denard. In addition, there have been all the FA signings. Not one of them is currently a starting CB for the team. Instead, what we've got is a guy who was a possible cut for the Buccaneers and a 7th round pick manning the spots.

That's sad.

Since 2008 the Pats have drafted a lot of defensive backs just like the league has. For ex, during that time there have been 50-57 DB's drafted each year....the next closest position is WRs 28-33. It's a league wide thing not just a Pats thing. It's a passing league so you need DBs and WRs to the play the game. DraftHistory.com

As to the 7th Rd thing or UDFA thing....it's irrelevant where a player was drafted or how acquired all the matters is how he plays on your team. Denver's other starting CB is Chris Harris, UDFA in 2011. Heavy contributors include Tony Carter, ex-Patriots players, who is also an UDFA and bounced around with three teams. Mike Adams who starts at S was an UDFA as well. This also happens with all teams not just the Pats.

Also Arrington has played well in the slot:Kyle Arrington Has Been Able to Excel in Slot Role Since Aqib Talib Joined Patriots | New England Patriots | NESN.com

In addition according to PFF he leads all slot CB's w/only .74 yds/cover and 14.2 cover snaps/rec.

Last edited:
The problem is this is the NFL and anything can happen....would you be shocked if the Browns beat the Broncos (yes, I would be shocked if the Chiefs beat them)?? Or if Houston drops two, one to the vikings AND one to the Colts (colts & vikings will most likely need the wins for playoffs).

If we have a chance to gain the bye, then we have to go for it.

Add to the mix, that our games are at 1:00 and Denver games are 4:00 PM games, so, during the last week - we might not even be able to rest players at all with the hope that Denver loses that last one against the chiefs.

So, it looks like no rest for the weary this year.
I don't know about week 17, but I would expect Belichick to believe that he can beat Jacksonville this week even if he sits Gronkowski, Spikes, Jones, Hernandez, Vollmer, and Dennard, give or take a few players. If you think it's a 90% chance of a win with 6 starters getting rest, then I think it's in the team's best interests to rest up. If the Broncos or Texans lose in week 16 and the Pats win, then you consider suiting guys up week 17.

We are in major disagreement here, Az.

We all realize the gamble when blitzing, that is not to be disputed. What was likely incorrect though, was using it in that situation of the game...much like the SB42 call to allow Ellis Hobbs the task of trying to cover a WR who was 6-7" taller than him one-on-one on an island.

There are times to try and gamble, and there are times when you simply cannot risk doing that.

I understand that Belichick is extremely gifted as a coach, and I hardly ever have any problem with his decisions. In this instance I do not believe that he made the proper call.

It also could be argued that the high majority of us expected Arrington to get torched vs Crabtree in that situation for multiple reasons that are too many to even list here. Giving him adequate safety help or re-adjusting the scheme (or even personnel) would likely have been a much better choice in that situation.

"It is what it is," so let's move on, but Arrington is not very good when lined up outside one-on-one vs Brian Hartline...let alone Michael Crabtree. It was a move that had a very high percentage of failing, and that is what happened.

I saw the consequence of a nickel DB not suited to the position he was playing whiff on a tackle. You can argue the playcall all you like, all Arrington had to do was tackle Crabtree. That was it.

And you know what? You have an extremely valid point.

Belichick put Arrington out there as he had before, expecting him to be able to make the play or at least the tackle. Unfortunately, that did not happen. Sometimes in this game it's just as simple as that.

While the majority of the blame definitely goes to Arrington, those like myself that aren't too thrilled with the playcall are going to argue that it was a move that had a high percentage of failing written all over it.

At the end of the day they are both likely correct on some level, depending on your particular opinion. In this case I think it was a combination of player and coach to blame, but I certainly could be wrong.

I do not ever really question someone like Belichick for obvious reasons. In this case I did just due to having witnessed poor outside technique and tackling from Arrington in the past. I also don't think it was the proper time to blitz in that situation. At any rate, you bring up an excellent point that Belichick trusts his players, and this was a time where that was on the big screen in a big time setting.

One thing we can all agree on is that it happened, it's over, and it's no use crying over spilled milk at this point.

Last edited:
And you know what? You have an extremely valid point.

Belichick put Arrington out there as he had before, expecting him to be able to make the play or at least the tackle. Unfortunately, that did not happen. Sometimes in this game it's just as simple as that.

While the majority of the blame definitely goes to Arrington, those like myself that aren't too thrilled with the playcall are going to argue that it was a move that had a high percentage of failing written all over it.

At the end of the day they are both likely correct on some level, depending on your particular opinion. In this case I think it was a combination of player and coach to blame, but I certainly could be wrong.

I do not ever really question someone like Belichick for obvious reasons. In this case I did just due to having witnessed poor outside technique and tackling from Arrington in the past. I also don't think it was the proper time to blitz in that situation. At any rate, you bring up an excellent point that Belichick trusts his players, and this was a time where that was on the big screen in a big time setting.

One thing we can all agree on is that it happened, it's over, and it's no use crying over spilled milk at this point.
We've seen the results of a DB/WR mismatch before (much to our dismay supa). I'd like to pile on BB/Patricia for making that call, but once more it came down to execution. At worst, that should have been a 6-8 yard pick up. It's just so damned hard to measure fatigue at that point because the Patriots had stoned the 49ers O for how many series before that? Arrington look spent trying to turn with Crabtree. You can't fault him for being tired. It was a brutal match in some harsh weather.

I understand why the Pats kept their foot on the 49ers throat. Outside of the James return, everything the Patriots had touched for the last 15 minutes turned to gold. Whichever way it's spun, it's now history. It was a good game between NFL titans. The Pats were on the wrong end of the result. So be it. On to Jacksonville.

Last edited:
That's completely irrelevant to my post since they already had a legitimate starting QB as the starter prior to Brady's arrival, although he didn't fit the new system, and it also ignores the amount of resources spent on the CBs.

Its not irrelevant....your point is clearly that you say its sad that the team is relying on a low round draft choice to carry the team in one position....the same as Brady had to do in 2001

A Legitimate starter has absolutely nothing to do with your post,nor was it even mentioned.....its the same thing if you thought about it,even for a split second

Its not irrelevant....your point is clearly that you say its sad that the team is relying on a low round draft choice to carry the team in one position....the same as Brady had to do in 2001

A Legitimate starter has absolutely nothing to do with your post,nor was it even mentioned.....its the same thing if you thought about it,even for a split second

No, my point is that a 7th round rookie is being relied upon to start, not that a second year player who's had a season of working with the team is starting.

You chose to ignore the "rookie" portion of my post. Brady was not a rookie, therefore the Brady comments are irrelevant.

Last edited:
No, my point is that a 7th round rookie is being relied upon to start, not that a second year player who's had a season of working with the team is starting.

You chose to ignore the "rookie" portion of my post. Brady was not a rookie, therefore the Brady comments are irrelevant.

Might as well consider Brady a rookie in 2001....when you rely on a 6th round player who threw 3 NFL passes in his rookie campaign to replace a QB who was considered the savior of what was once a sorry franchise until 1993 was sad at the time,fans were hoping a young player and a late round draft pick would succeed was the case back then and it is now with Dennard.....regardless of being a rookie or not.

so what's his status? I guess no one knows.

If I was to guess I'd say he will be listed as Questionable but will not play this weekend.

I also think if he plays against Miami it will be a limited role

Might as well consider Brady a rookie in 2001....when you rely on a 6th round player who threw 3 NFL passes in his rookie campaign to replace a QB who was considered the savior of what was once a sorry franchise until 1993 was sad at the time,fans were hoping a young player and a late round draft pick would succeed was the case back then and it is now with Dennard.....regardless of being a rookie or not.

Now you're just making incredibly silly posts in order to defend your earlier irrelevant post.

Thanks, but I'm not buying.

Last edited:
No, McCourty is horrid at CB and slightly better at S. He at least doesnt have to turn his head back for the ball at S, but seems to misjudge where hes supposed to be on long completions.

I saw Wilson leave the game with a leg injury. Did he return?

Your avatar fits you perfectly... McCourty is NOT horrid a CB. He's actually pretty good. He's the better option at safety, currently, than Wilson or Chung. Not sure how you can claim he misjudges the long completions considering what he did on the interception the other night. But then, you typically have off the wall claims that aren't supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe