PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stallworth Contract Breakdown - Only 1 year deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One interesting aspect is the $300K workout bonus, which is a lot higher than most of the Patriots workout bonuses (I think twice normal, without looking it up).

They really want him in the offseason working with Brady, as if he didn't have enough incentive already.

Keeps everyone happy, including patsfans.com.. most importantly of all.

dtbrks said:
Good deal for the pats. If he has a great year next season and they want to retain him, it could get interesting. 11 million in cap hit is too much, so I they will want to restructure it. He may not though.

So, let's just enjoy the 07 season and see how it plays out.

Keep in mind what he earns and his cap are two seperate and distinct entities. If I did my math right (which I may not have but Miguel will eventually correct it and it's just so you get the drift), his cap hit this year would be $3.26M and in 2008 would be $4.76M because the initial signing bonus amortizes at $167K per year for 6 years and the $6M option bonus is assumed to amortize at $1.2M per year for the next 5.

His dead cap after 2007 would only be $833K. After 2008 it would be $4.8M (but that could be spread over two cap seasons so it's still manageable on a $120M cap).

Cap hit in 2009 would be $5M with a dead cap of $6M (again could be spread over 2 seasons). Last two years are all salary or two years of $8M cap hits (salary plus amortization) vs. two years of $4M dead cap hits. By then the cap will likely (conservatively) be approaching $130-140M.

There would never be an $11M cap hit unless the team wanted there to be one.

Last edited:
Keep in mind what he earns and his cap are two seperate and distinct entities. If I did my math right (which I may not have but Miguel will eventually correct it and it's just so you get the drift), his cap hit this year would be $3.26M and in 2008 would be $4.76M because the initial signing bonus amortizes at $167K per year for 6 years and the $6M option bonus is assumed to amortize at $1.2M per year for the next 5.

His dead cap after 2007 would only be $833K. After 2008 it would be $4.8M (but that could be spread over two cap seasons so it's still manageable on a $120M cap).

Cap hit in 2009 would be $5M with a dead cap of $6M (again could be spread over 2 seasons). Last two years are all salary or two years of $8M cap hits (salary plus amortization) vs. two years of $4M dead cap hits. By then the cap will likely (conservatively) be approaching $130-140M.

There would never be an $11M cap hit unless the team wanted there to be one.
Thanks for the clarification. I am not a cap guy, just a fan who also played a little ball. They way you describe makes this a much better deal.

Very nice work by the Patriots. This makes great sense on both sides. If Stallworth proves to be a true #1 receiver, the Patriots can keep him at a reaonsonable cost, if not he moves on relatively pain-free. I suppose the tricky decision for the Patriots would be if he is borderline worth the remainder of the contract, but that's why BB/SP make these decisions.

Very, very nice!!

I see per the PFT rumormill this is the amended 'first' story on the contract (in accordance with the Miguel theory of contract publicity - the devil is in the 'filed' details, to be published later). Hopefully this will match with Miguel's cap page when he's reviewed his sources - not that Lenny P's name in the byline of a story using agent descriptive phrasing such as "creative concept" and "maximize his client's earning potential" ever made me ponder agent/journalist incest.

One interesting aspect is the $300K workout bonus, which is a lot higher than most of the Patriots workout bonuses (I think twice normal, without looking it up).

They really want him in the offseason working with Brady, as if he didn't have enough incentive already.

Great point, according to Miguel the next highest is $100K.

Great observation...even a Gaffney might have been a bigger help to the team last year if he had started in March.

Great observation...even a Gaffney might have been a bigger help to the team last year if he had started in March.

I think we used to do this to Ty, although he still didn't show up most of the time. Teams cannot require a player to attend off season programs, beyond mini camps, so you try to let them know what you expect and then incentivize it to try to reel them in. Stallworth needs this year to be a success as much as we need it to be, so hopefully he will take the hint.

That's good news, thanks for the info. Given the structure, I would think that if Stallworth DOES have a great year, they would have to go back and restructure the deal, not so much to lower the dollars given to Stallworth but to even out the cap consequences in the second year.

great, so we'd have to pull teeth again with rosenhaus

You wouldn't know it, but I've had my reservations about Stallworth.:eek: I know, shocker of all shockers! ;)

My initial reaction to the news with the total contract figures was something like this:
nausea2.jpg

But this is a prove you're worth it contract, basically for one year. We then have him locked up next year with the opportunity to restructure or release. How this is a good deal for the agent? I dunno. Its the sweetest of deals for the team!!! Now I feel like this:
card12.gif

Unless Donte has a All Pro year, I think it's a 1 year deal as they wait for Chad Jackson to get his act together. And if e does have an All Pro year I'd think they'd want to redo it.

A graphical representation of the contract can be found at
http://www.patscap.com/stallworth.gif
Thanks, very nice job as always.

Not bad at all if he clicks with Brady. They offered Branch about $6M a year. Stallworth is a very different WR than Branch but equally good in different ways. It's either a one year short term fix or, hopefully, a long term solution. Nice deal.

Who was his agent, Master P? I honestly didn't like the idea of bringing in Stallworth but that's just a downright one-sided contract.

Wow. Surprise a bit that Drew would agree with the contract. The first year of the deal is pretty weak and I'm not sure the rest of the contract is all that bad when you consider the constantly rising cost of players year after year.

Its a 1 year deal.

Second year is a joke as there is no way the Pats keep him. The option is all hte player's because we will not pay year two. When we rip up the contract after year one he is a free agent. He can re-negotiate with us if he wants, but why not test hte market after a good year?

Re: Its a 1 year deal.

Second year is a joke as there is no way the Pats keep him. The option is all hte player's because we will not pay year two.
$6.37M isn't that outrageous if he does well. That's not much different from what we offered Branch and Stallworth could well do as much as Branch.

Donte, just stay healthy and productive...that's all we ask, oh yeah, dont be a cancer in the locker room either.

have a nice day:singing:

Re: Its a 1 year deal.

Second year is a joke as there is no way the Pats keep him. The option is all hte player's because we will not pay year two. When we rip up the contract after year one he is a free agent. He can re-negotiate with us if he wants, but why not test hte market after a good year?

I disagree. The Pats have all but one of all possible options. There is a contract in place. If he lights the world on fire (doubtful) we can honor it. No option there for the player. If we choose not to honor it, we can try to restructure the deal. Again, we have options there. We can honor the contract in spirit, but make it more cap friendly. Or we can restructure it down. Those are team options. Here is where the player has the only option: he can refuse the restructuring. The team may release him either due to underperformance or refusal to agree to the terms of the restructuring. Again, no options for the player there.

It speaks volumes as to where the team and the player are right now. The team needs that downfield guy for this season to clear the zones, and perhaps catch a few deep ones. The team is not sure CJ will be ready in time. They have the one year fix here, with some potential upside.

The player is desperate to overhaul his image. Rumors of substance abuse abound. Injury history and rumors of being a poor influence in the locker room nag at his heels. He needs to prove himself as a quality WR, with a quality personality and character, playing in a quality system. If successful he can deflect these negatives and silently "hint" that he was a victim of the system he was in. He can then cash in on his new found teflon image either here, or elsewhere.

Thats what this signing is and means. It is what it is. Nothing more. It does not represent a change of philosophy by the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes