PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: Pats' possible interest in Boldin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Speculation: Pats Possible Interest In Boldin

If you're giving up a 2nd round pick for him, you want him for more than one year. The question then becomes the reasonableness of his contract demands. He was asking for too much out in Arizona.

My thoughts exactly. The reason Boldin became available last season was that Arizona couldn't afford to pay 2 WR's 10 million a year. Boldin wants to get PAID. Now the question is: With Boldin having an injury plagued year and being another year older, has he adjusted his contract demands? My thinking is he probably still wants the big contract. I still think Boldin is a good player and would be a great fit for the current offense, but I doubt the Patriots would give him even 7 million a year on a long term contract.

My thoughts exactly. The reason Boldin became available last season was that Arizona couldn't afford to pay 2 WR's 10 million a year. Boldin wants to get PAID. Now the question is: With Boldin having an injury plagued year and being another year older, has he adjusted his contract demands? My thinking is he probably still wants the big contract. I still think Boldin is a good player and would be a great fit for the current offense, but I doubt the Patriots would give him even 7 million a year on a long term contract.

At the same time, we have a bunch of picks stocked up. Trade for him, throw him a 2 year deal at say... 8 for this year (assuming no cap), and 6 next year with pro bowl/performance incentives. Would say throw money for games played but that might deter this beast from flying around over the middle... which would be HUGE in making room for moss. Imagine randy being able to see single coverage more often with this lunatic running the deep/intermediate middle and WW/Edelman underneath?! think I just came in my pants... Not to mention the ATTITUDE. Saw patsjew post it earlier, "I want some thugs!" ok, maybe not thugs, but we need some more of the street fighter, punch you in your b!tch mouth type football players. Hines ward anyone?

At the same time, we have a bunch of picks stocked up. Trade for him, throw him a 2 year deal at say... 8 for this year (assuming no cap), and 6 next year with pro bowl/performance incentives. Would say throw money for games played but that might deter this beast from flying around over the middle... which would be HUGE in making room for moss. Imagine randy being able to see single coverage more often with this lunatic running the deep/intermediate middle and WW/Edelman underneath?! think I just came in my pants... Not to mention the ATTITUDE. Saw patsjew post it earlier, "I want some thugs!" ok, maybe not thugs, but we need some more of the street fighter, punch you in your b!tch mouth type football players. Hines ward anyone?

I'm Patjew and I approve this message.

Let's bring back the nasty.

Last edited:

I like the way he plays, albeit tenacious, and the talent he has shown on the field, but I'm not excited about his age and mileage he has on those tires. I wonder if the field is big enough for Moss, him and Welker (when/if that time were to come).

I imagine he wants to go to a team where he can be the #1 receiver... like in Seattle where he can push Nate Burleson down a spot or Miami, where there is no real #1 (but yet no QB either).

Well imagine if we could stock the receiver depth chart like this to start season 2010/2011.

1. Moss
2. Boldin
3. Stallworth
4. Tate
5. Edelman
6. Aiken
7. Stanback
8. Slater

PUP
Welker.

This would be the best WR core this team has ever seen!!!

I like Stallworth he has always seemed like a stand up guy and he happened to make a bad decission that he is regretful of! If you need more proof follow him on twitter and im sure you will change your mind just like i did.

Stanback has to be on this team! he has that hard nosed attitude that patjew likes! He is an amazing pass or run blocker, I still cant believe he put Freeney on his arse. If he can develop some chemistry with brady and work on his catching he will be very valuable!

Boldin is in the last year of his contract and he seems to have lost some speed and most of his routes are underneath almost like a bigger Wes Welker.

I agree with this. His avg yds/catch is 12.2 while WW's is 12.1. He isnt a guy to stretch the field so he may help WW more than Randy Moss.

There are other WR's out there (without getting into the UFA, RFA, uncapped vs capped since no one knows yet, but as of now these are all UFA's)

Antonio Bryant, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (29 yrs old)
Bryant may have cashed in a big check last year but he hasn’t been able to give a repeat performance – not that it’s all Bryant’s fault with a lack of consistency from the quarterback and an arrhythmic offense in general. The Buccaneers have enough money to re-sign him and should be able to get a fair market price for him this season if he is open to a return to a team that is at the bottom of the league. With Josh Freeman in the lineup, Bryant’s numbers have improved and he could make a case for strong number two receiver contract. His avg yd/catch is the same as Moss'.

Vincent Jackson, SD (27 yrs old)
This is a pipedream. He will be SD's #1 priority to resign. $$$ as well.

Malcom Floyd, San Chargers (28)
Over the recent weeks, Malcom Floyd has been given more responsibilities, starting 6 of the last 7 games, in the Chargers offense and this lengthy, 6’5”, 225-pound receiver has delivered for the Chargers. Similar to Vincent Jackson, Floyd does a great job getting vertical down the sidelines to make grabs in single coverage. He uses his height and balance to come down with the ball more often than not. Floyd will be a full-time starting number two receiver next year either in San Diego or elsewhere. His avg/catch is better than Randy's (17 vs 15) and SD may not be able to resign both Floyd and Jackson.

Terrell Owens, Buffalo Bills (36)
Owens is as good as gone after this year. He’s kept quiet despite having a type of year (individually and collectively) that he’s been accustomed to. If TO can stay under the radar the rest of the year, he could open up more landing spots for this offseason, with a more competitive team. With Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback, Owen’s numbers have gone up and he’s shown that he can still be productive. Owens keeps himself in great shape and should still be able to produce given a healthy quarterback option, but it’s all the baggage that comes with this star WR that make teams shy away. So far, he’s done all of the right things this year off the field. He hasn’t ruled out a return to Buffalo and would also be open to returning to San Francisco where his career began. Age may make him a one yr option.

Brandon Marshall, Broncos (26)
He will be looking for too much money and his attitude is an issue but he is certainly talented.

Kevin Walter, Houston Texans (29)
Walter hasn’t been nearly as effective as last year, coming off an injury early in the year. For the Texans offense that hasn’t been short of scoring this year, it could be a good thing for the team. Keeping Walter under the radar could help them hang on to him at season’s end for a less competitive price. His size and style of play suggests that he should be a solid complementary receiver for a long time in the league. His avg/catch is similar to WW's so he may not help Moss much in stretching the field.

I think Bryant or Floyd would be an excellent sign by the Pats

I've always like the way he plays the game. He makes the tough catches over the middle, takes a ton of hits, and is a great YAC guy but it seems his body has started to break down because of how he has played.

At his age, with the injuries, and the cost not only in picks but in the big, long term cash you'll have to pay him if you trade for him, I think I'd pass.

While I like Boldin and I think he fits a void we have right now, he does want to get PAID thats why he is leaving. He wants Fitzy money, for that price tag no thanks bra.

Boldin is only an attitude problem because he wants a new contract. The problem is, he wants a new contract, for big money.

Would it be ideal to give this guy a big contract with his physical style of play and recent injury woes?

Would the Pats be willing to tie up that much money into WR, especially with the uncertainty of the CBA situation?

Malcolm Floyd, Kevin Walter, or even Stallworth would seem like better value. Remember, I think we only need another Jabar Gaffney-type. We don't need to have a Pro Bowl WR. Tying up that much of your resources at WR, especially when the biggest need is a pass rusher (which will require $$) is not ideal and not how BB thinks.

I'd take him as long as it's not costing too much draft pick wise and hopefully it wouldn't be a one and done thing either.

we need all are draft picks this team has to many holes

get T.O he's a vet and will come chap just like the pats like im

randy moss, and T.O with Julian Edelman, in the slot untill welker, comes back if T.O shut he's mouth with the bills when they where not throwing him the ball and lost a lot of games im sure he will shut he's mouth on a playoff team with brady throwing him the ball

He is worth a 2nd round pick, but...

Not this year, and not in this draft. If they want to do a straight up trade for Adalius and a #3 next year (i.e. two #3s) I'd consider it.

But I wouldn't be giving up a 2nd rounder in this year's draft. No freakin' way.

My thoughts on this:

1. We need to resign Wilfork and Brady first, before making a trade for Boldin. If we trade for Boldin we would need to sign him to an extension otherwise we just inherited another team's problem. It would also makes sense in that we could frontload his contract for the uncapped year.

2. We need to cut Thomas and Light to make room for this, since in the uncapped year those cuts would not count against the cap (because there isn't one). If we could restructure a contract like Moss that would also help.

3. For those of you saying that we can't give up a second for him, I have one question for you? Have you lost your minds? This is a pro bowl reciever! Would you be happy if we drafted a good wide out like Golden Tate second round? Of course you would. What is the difference between drafting someone to fill a need and trading a draft pick to fill that same need? The only difference is cap room, and in this case the upgrade would be worth it.

4. If we don't get a new OC or at least a less predictable scheme a trade like this would be useless. If they know where we are going in specific plays we could have a pro bowl team and we wouldn't be able to move the ball.

If there is no cap this year and the Pats can work a deal that doesn't cost the Pats more than a second, who cares how much he costs if the Pats can afford him? As long as they can work it so there is no dead cap money next year if there is a cap, it isn't our money.

I think Boldin can definitely bolster this roster. His injury history is a little concerning, but he is tough player who fights for the ball and makes plays. He also plays through injuries. Last year, there was no way they were going to rush him back to the field after that crushing neck injury he got vs. the Jets, but I bet he would have played right away if he had a choice.

Would rather have Boldin than Brandon Marshall.

Eh, I doubt the Patriots are going to make a move for Boldin. The guy is, bar none, the very best #2 WR in the NFL. The only problem is that he wants to get paid like a #1 WR. No thanks. There are cheaper options out there for the Pats that would be just as effective of taking the pressure off of Moss and Welker (Bryant being one example). And ausbacker, I agree with you in regards to Stallworth. Would love to see him back on this team.

Last edited:
The Patriots thought that $2.5 M was too much for Gaffney.

Boldin probably wants at least three times that much. I do

agree that another good veteran receiver is necessary for

Tom Brady to return to form 100%.

He's staying put...going to have a contract done with the Cards..MAYBE they will trade him..but I really think he's off the table..it will all come out in the wash....
Might be a good option for the Pats but not happening

Anquan Boldin is a hell of a lot better than Jabar Gaffney, even if he has lost a step.

I'm all for bringing him in, but not if the cost is going to be one of the first 4 picks. With 1 year left on his deal and some injury concerns, I'm not sure if he is worth much more.

The only way we would trade for Boldin is if we had a long-term contract agreed to with him, and expected to dump Moss after the 2010 season. And no, this isn't as far fetched as it sounds. The team can afford to pay both Moss in an uncapped eyar, in the last year of Moss' contract.

ESPN Insider NFL Rumors

ESPN's Adam Schefter says this is the year that Boldin will be traded.

ESPN's Michael Smith speculates that Boldin's price tag will be lower this year due to his age, injuries, and the emergence of Steve Breaston and Early Doucet as legitimate threats at WR.

The Patriots are listed as a possible team that would be interested in dealing for Boldin.

He's asked for a trade in previous seasons due to a contract extension dispute, stating that the Cardinals wouldn't reward him for his hard work.

A lot of people around here have been talking about going after Marshall, Evans, and V-Jax, but Boldin's name should also be added to the mix.

If he could be had for a 2nd round pick, would you be interested?

Personally, I would. I've been talking about getting a physical WR to line up opposite of Moss and work the middle of the field in the intermediate passing game. Boldin is the perfect candidate for this role IMO. He is tough as nails, physical, plays through injuries, fights through coverage, and sacrifices his body by going over the middle to make the catch.

He'd be the perfect addition at WR IMO.

Thoughts?

EDIT:
Contract Info:
7/31/2005 - Signed 4 year extension for $22.67 million
2010: $3 million
2011: Free agent

Seems like a bargain to me.

Yep, Good call. Been saying that in my Threads all week here too. He has HEART. We have to collect a bunch of those type of FAs this off-season.

I want another guy we hate...Keith Bullock. He is going to be 32 so hopefully not all the money in the world. But he brings HEART, experience, leadership and is a little nasty.

Terrance Newman of the Boys would work. He is a big play CB and a leader. He is a bigger CB and experienced. He is also 32.

Then give me Aaron Kampman who is 30 who doesn't like to stand up all the time, but I see him in the Vrabel role of up and down or like Jason Taylor is used.

Boldin is only going to be 30.

If we got a stud like Peppers, Demeco Ryans, Will Smith or Barrett Ruud (all should be resigned) to add to those above and at least one role player (I like Chase Blackburn who is a top ST player, has started and has an all day motor) and a decent WR like Malcom Floyd, or even another experience HEART guy like Muhsin Mohammad (could he have helped us this year!!!!!!).

Finally we need a RB prety badly. In the Draft I like Toby Gerhert in a thin RB draft class, but I would take LenDale White in a minute.
DW Toys

Are you really comparing Gaffney to Boldin? Gaffney was better than what the Pats had this year at #3, but Gaffney is a guy who is relatively easily replacable. And if the Pats didn't blow it with Galloway, they probably would have replaced him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents