PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shaq Mason Restructure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imahobgoblin

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score

I did not see this posted. It makes sense. This is probably where they got the money for Sanu.

Hopefully it includes a pay cut for his shameful display so far this season.

I think you are missing what Thuney and Mason are doing. Karras is simply not a starting caliber Center in the NFL. Ok, maybe that is a bit harsh, he's not a top 20 starting caliber center in the NFL. Mason and Thuney are picking up Karras' slack. They didn't suddenly forget how to play Guard. I would even go as far as to say that Andrews was so good, and so underrated, that he made them look better than they are (and they are very good, which is why the Oline hasn't completely fallen apart with Karras and Newhouse). Andrews is our best Olineman, its not debatable - especially now.

Oh, get over yourself. If you're a true fan of a team, you build them up and won't tear them down.

I think you are missing what Thuney and Mason are doing. Karras is simply not a starting caliber Center in the NFL. Ok, maybe that is a bit harsh, he's not a top 20 starting caliber center in the NFL. Mason and Thuney are picking up Karras' slack. They didn't suddenly forget how to play Guard. I would even go as far as to say that Andrews was so good, and so underrated, that he made them look better than they are (and they are very good, which is why the Oline hasn't completely fallen apart with Karras and Newhouse). Andrews is our best Olineman, its not debatable - especially now.
Thuney is playing fine. Shaq Mason has been terrible from snap 1 this season. You want to know why the Patriots can't run the ball consistently? It's Shaq Mason. He's getting run over by every JAG in the NFL.

I don't think it's Karras' fault Mason spends half the game on his ass. But you do you.

Also, Mason used to be the Patriots best lineman. No question. Key phrase, 'used to be'. I hope he can get back to that form, because this Shaq Mason they could have pulled off a couch somewhere for the vet minimum. The regression in play has been striking, to say the least.

Oh, get over yourself. If you're a true fan of a team, you build them up and won't tear them down.
I'm not in the habit of building up champions and borderline all-pros who sign a big contract, and then go in the tank.

can we restructure thuneys contract? in the "extension" type of restructure?

No. You can't restructure players in the last year of contract. Thuney new deal will increase his cap for sure.

Thuney is playing fine. Shaq Mason has been terrible from snap 1 this season. You want to know why the Patriots can't run the ball consistently? It's Shaq Mason. He's getting run over by every JAG in the NFL.

I don't think it's Karras' fault Mason spends half the game on his ass. But you do you.

Please point us to all those snaps were he gets run over. I have not noticed more than maybe 1-2 bad beats per game. But am looking forward to see what I have missed.

Just give me the time on a couple or those snaps I will do the rest.

Last edited:
No. You can't restructure players in the last year of contract. Thuney new deal will increase his cap for sure.

That why he said "the extension kind of restructure". In other words the poster wanted Thuney to be extended.

Reactions: ALP
Mason MAX restructure $2,556,000
Gordon savings (possibility he has to be claimed) 992k

Our cap: more or less (650k) negative with Sanu accounted

Bethel ??
Another player ??

So ... Mason restructure PROBABLY means that they needed the extra cap space to fit Bethel and the 53 player TBD ... I don't know if they can keep only 52 players on the open roster and add Harry monday or tuesday to the 53 roster.

Last edited:
Which essentially means goodby

Please point us to all those snaps were he gets run over. I have not noticed more than maybe 1-2 bad beats per game. But am looking forward to see what I have missed.

Just give me the time on a couple or those snaps I will do the rest.

There are none. Karras isn’t the problem either. Mason and the tackle play is where the inconsistency is.

That why he said "the extension kind of restructure". In other words the poster wanted Thuney to be extended.

Restructure is not an extension.

Extension you will add years to a player already signed sometimes saving money.

Restructure means pushing money down the road to gain cap relief.

Thuney does not have any extra year, so he can't be restructured, and if they want to extend him it will be IMPOSSIBLE to save any money this year because his cap is pretty low.

But ...

They can extend HT, KVN, DMac, Harmon ...

Trade Bennett

Restructure is not an extension.

Extension you will add years to a player already signed sometimes saving money.

Restructure means pushing money down the road to gain cap relief.

Thuney does not have any extra year, so he can't be restructured, and if they want to extend him it will be IMPOSSIBLE to save any money this year because his cap is pretty low.

But ...

They can extend HT, KVN, DMac, Harmon ...

Trade Bennett

We all know that.

I think you just dont understand what the poster was writing.

He was saying extend Thuney and push his base salary for this year down.

Come on. Andrews is ok, but definitely not our best OL. Frankly Cannon, Thuney, Mason are superior and Wynn might be too.

Also, Mason used to be the Patriots best lineman. No question. Key phrase, 'used to be'. I hope he can get back to that form, because this Shaq Mason they could have pulled off a couch somewhere for the vet minimum. The regression in play has been striking, to say the least.

He's been playing injured

If you think Mason has been his usual self you are taking the same stuff Gordon has been taking.

I did not see this posted. It makes sense. This is probably where they got the money for Sanu.

Hope that the "restructure" means a "reduction" in pay for his terrible play.

Mason's just cashing checks this season...He should be ashamed of himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots