PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shaq Mason analysis. "the Pats win....again

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I found this in the social media section and thought it was worth passing on.

Shaq Mason proving his worth as an unsung anchor along the Patriots offensive line | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

Just another example of how good, under the radar, drafting can pay off. Now, even after his extension, the Pats have the TOP rated OG in the league, and have him locked up for 5 more years at what is currently the 41st highest paid guard. (9MM/yr) And like the poster says at the end of his analysis. "the Pats won.....again" ;)

It's hard to put any stock into PFF rankings, or even more broadly to rank/quantify OL play, but it seems safe to say that deal looks great now. I don't think anyone was upset the day the extension was signed, though. Glad to see a guy we had high hopes for live up to expectations.

Just another example of how good, under the radar, drafting can pay off. Now, even after his extension, the Pats have the TOP rated OG in the league, and have him locked up for 5 more years at what is currently the 41st highest paid guard. (9MM/yr) And like the poster says at the end of his analysis. "the Pats won.....again" ;)

That'd be #41(ish) among all OLs. He's roughly 16th among guards.

That'd be #41(ish) among all OLs. He's roughly 16th among guards.
I wonder why the guy used that number? You would think a "numbers" guy wouldn't have been THAT far off.

But now that you point it out, it is hard to think that there are 40 OG's making more than $9MM/yr. Now that I think on it, perhaps he's the 41st highest paid OLman. That would make more sense.

As bad as the Pats might be at drafting WRs, seems like they've hit big on a number of OL over the years. Of course, a certain coach might have something to do with that success rate...

I saw that on Twitter.. very impressive.

MasonShaq_overallgrades-1024x576.jpg

It's hard to put any stock into PFF rankings, or even more broadly to rank/quantify OL play, but it seems safe to say that deal looks great now. I don't think anyone was upset the day the extension was signed, though. Glad to see a guy we had high hopes for live up to expectations.

I agree with the BOLD it is what makes football so fascinating....one player does not affect the results on the field as much as they would in other sports like the NBA where you can distill things down to "PER".

But yeah, I agree Mason is the real deal...I just wish he didn't allow that Graham strip sack in the Superbowl.....oh well...can't win em' all, LOL.

Shaq's forte' is supposedly run blocking....... :)

I wonder why the guy used that number? You would think a "numbers" guy wouldn't have been THAT far off.

But now that you point it out, it is hard to think that there are 40 OG's making more than $9MM/yr. Now that I think on it, perhaps he's the 41st highest paid OLman. That would make more sense.
That’s still GREAT value regardless.

As bad as the Pats might be at drafting WRs, seems like they've hit big on a number of OL over the years. Of course, a certain coach might have something to do with that success rate...
If Wynn becomes our LT, then the ENTIRE starting group of one of the NFL's top OL's will be very young and ALL homegrown. That's pretty impressive, I think.
o
Plus when you think about the Pats success with the OL and compare it to the failures to develop their own WR's (with few exceptions). THEN look at their overall success. It kind of makes you wonder about just how important having elite WR's actually to the overall success of a football team.

I think fantasy football put such a emphasis on receivers it help over hype their importance to actually winning football games. The Pats WR's aren't going to the pro bowl and have been by and large, pretty average. So while Chris Hogan (pretty typical of most Pats WR's) isn't going to show you his all pro tee shirt, he did get to go to 3 superbowls and win 2 rings

So while I would love for our top 3 WR's to be named Beckham, Green. and Jones, I'm not going to panic if they end up being Edelman, Dorsett, and 3 other guys I never heard of. The offense is still going to move the ball.

Last edited:
If Wynn becomes our LT, then the ENTIRE starting group of one of the NFL's top OL's will be very young and ALL homegrown. That's pretty impressive, I think.
Compliments to Scar on his homegrown OL

We all lose when we post PFF nonsense.

Absolute travesty he didn't make the All-Pro team last season, though he's only turning 26 this summer so plenty of time for him to build a HoF career.

Because that was the number written on the piece of paper that the dart hit when the PFF writer threw it.

I found this in the social media section and thought it was worth passing on.

Shaq Mason proving his worth as an unsung anchor along the Patriots offensive line | NFL Analysis | Pro Football Focus

Have you noticed how many teams/GMs boast to the media that so-and-so is the best in the league at his position? Kind of like the Jets every time they get a decent player (most recently Jamal Adams.). How does that work out for them when it comes to the negotiating table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST