PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT - Salary Cap thread

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So I know it is a bit early and I am no cap expert but I wanted to make a thread to see how the Pats can maneuver the cap in 2015 to sign guys. Remember the more FAs you sign the more your draft priorities can be effected. I will be using the info on Miguel's page so all credit goes to him for letting me have this info.

The committed money right now is 134M. The current projected cap is about 140M. So lets just go with that. Right now the Pats are only about 6M under and have people to sign. Lets see how much we can play with that realistically. Some moves will also be expected increases.

#1 Revis - Cap hit total cap hit of 25M. Extend him (PLEASE BILL!) and knock that number down to about 17M (this counts the 5M of dead money he gets anyway) for that year). Savings of 8M

#2 Brady - Cap hit of 13M. This probably has to go up to about 17M. Loss of 4M

#3 Mayo - Cap hit of 10M. Play with the contract a bit and leverage him due to his injuries to bring it down to 8M. Savings of 2M

#4 Wilfork - Cap hit of 8M - Leverage him but extend him 1 more year for about so the cost this year is 5M - Savings of 3M

#5 Amendola -Cap hit of 5.5M - Keep him for maybe 3M. Still probably too much guaranteed to cut him and have it make sense. Cap Savings of 2,5M

#6 - Hooman - Cap hit of 1.7M. Good enough 3rd TE. Keep him for now but lower the hit to 1.2M Cap savings of .5M

#7 Dennard - Cap hit of 1.5M. He has looked meh in limited time. Ryan/Butler are cheaper and I am not convinced they are worse. Cut him or force him to play for the minimum. Either way. Cap savings of 1M

Overall these moves save you about 13M and you have not really done anything painful yet. You probably could get 20M if you really wanted to without losing much.

That puts the Pats about 20M easily under the cap (considering the 6M they had previously for room.

Sign McCourty - 7M
Sign Chung 1M
Sign Vereen - 2M
Sign Connolly - 2M
Sign Gosk 3M

Everyone else is about 1M or under and that makes them borderline contract neutral but lets call Ayers, Branch, Casillas, Cannon, Siliga, Develin, Grey about 2M above roster minimum all together.

That comes to about 17M which puts you 2M under and like I said this is with cap savings they are probably under projection and also considering I did not factor in draft picks and UDFAs next year which will out the bottom of the roster for cheaper options.

My final guess is if the Pats sign back the guys I want them too they might not have room for many splashy FA moves (maybe 1) but they won't need it really.

If they re-sign all those players and draft a full draft class, there's not that much need for FA's. Another Brandon Lafell type success at WR is the one FA I think is a necessity to take the Dobson/Tyms spot on the roster owing to the lack of success in drafting a WR.

My final guess is if the Pats sign back the guys I want them too they might not have room for many splashy FA moves (maybe 1) but they won't need it really.

We've been through the cap in a fair amount of detail elsewhere. I'm not sure of all your numbers, but I do agree with your basic conclusion: I think that with some adroit work we should be able to keep most if not all of our own key FAs, but won't have much room for a lot of splashy outside moves, and they won't need it.

So I know it is a bit early and I am no cap expert but I wanted to make a thread to see how the Pats can maneuver the cap in 2015 to sign guys. Remember the more FAs you sign the more your draft priorities can be effected. I will be using the info on Miguel's page so all credit goes to him for letting me have this info.

The committed money right now is 134M. The current projected cap is about 140M. So lets just go with that. Right now the Pats are only about 6M under and have people to sign. Lets see how much we can play with that realistically. Some moves will also be expected increases.

#1 Revis - Cap hit total cap hit of 25M. Extend him (PLEASE BILL!) and knock that number down to about 17M (this counts the 5M of dead money he gets anyway) for that year). Savings of 8M

#3 Mayo - Cap hit of 10M. Play with the contract a bit and leverage him due to his injuries to bring it down to 8M. Savings of 2M

#4 Wilfork - Cap hit of 8M - Leverage him but extend him 1 more year for about so the cost this year is 5M - Savings of 3M

#5 Amendola -Cap hit of 5.5M - Keep him for maybe 3M. Still probably too much guaranteed to cut him and have it make sense. Cap Savings of 2,5M

#6 - Hooman - Cap hit of 1.7M. Good enough 3rd TE. Keep him for now but lower the hit to 1.2M Cap savings of .5M

#7 Dennard - Cap hit of 1.5M. He has looked meh in limited time. Ryan/Butler are cheaper and I am not convinced they are worse. Cut him or force him to play for the minimum. Either way. Cap savings of 1M

Overall these moves save you about 13M and you have not really done anything painful yet. You probably could get 20M if you really wanted to without losing much.

That puts the Pats about 20M easily under the cap (considering the 6M they had previously for room.

Sign McCourty - 7M
Sign Chung 1M
Sign Vereen - 2M
Sign Connolly - 2M
Sign Gosk 3M

Everyone else is about 1M or under and that makes them borderline contract neutral but lets call Ayers, Branch, Casillas, Cannon, Siliga, Develin, Grey about 2M above roster minimum all together.

That comes to about 17M which puts you 2M under and like I said this is with cap savings they are probably under projection and also considering I did not factor in draft picks and UDFAs next year which will out the bottom of the roster for cheaper options.

A Dedicated Cap Page ~ great Idea, Brother Bob!!
smiley_headbanger.gif

Here's a Link to Brother Miguel's awesome Work that Brother Bob referred to.

IMO the only way that Brady gets a new deal that raises his 2015 cap hit is if the Pats win the Super Bowl. :)

IMO the only way that Brady gets a new deal that raises his 2015 cap hit is if the Pats win the Super Bowl. :)

I believe Miguel has noted that the Pats can save around $4M in 2015 cap space by converting $6M of Brady's current base salary into signing bonus.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back