PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Madden ratings

KDPPatsfan85

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Mac will be a 71 overall in Madden. Watch the video of the rookie ratings, I love mac's answer: "it's not where you start, it's how you finish."

As for Madden 22 itself, it will be better than Madden 13-20. Franchise mode is more in depth. They have a long way to go, but they are taking a step in the right direction for hiring deuce Douglas.

Madden has been in downward spiral ever since EA discovered the money printing machine that is Ultimate Team. So around Madden 15.

And no, NFL2K if it could still exist would be no better considering what NBA2k is like.

Madden has been in downward spiral ever since EA discovered the money printing machine that is Ultimate Team. So around Madden 15.

And no, NFL2K if it could still exist would be no better considering what NBA2k is like.
Having played both NBA 2K and Madden as recently as 2 years ago, I can assure you it would in fact be better. My mind was blown by how much more depth the franchise mode had than Madden. It's still highly flawed, but one is a bad sports game and the other is the worst sports game.

The 2K narrative is a bit overblown, though. The fact is, the last time 2K had an NFL game (2004), Madden was also really good. It's partially what you said about the money printer pay to win modes, but the spiral started much earlier than that. I would say it was the move from the PS2 generation to the PS3 generation when they started from scratch and stripped all the modes down to absolute barebones. They've been slowly reintroducing the features that existed 17 years ago and selling them as new and exciting stuff.

Like I said in my other post, it's the exclusive license. No competition means no incentive to make anyone happy except the shareholders. It's a shame, because football simulation is one of the coolest things in the world.

Madden ‘97 on PS1 is my all time favorite. The presentation was awesome with real time video of James Brown in the studio before the game and during halftime. You can’t beat John and Pat calling every game.

Madden 2004 or 2005 on PS2 was my favorite on that platform.

Madden 2008, 2009 and 10 was my favorite on XBox 360. I pissed so many people off online with my passing game as it only took a couple passes to score. Meanwhile, players were obsessed with running the ball making the game as short as possible.

I haven’t played since 2012 as I can’t get over the animations of the players looking like they are on ice skates. Stripping of the features killed it as well.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jah
What sucks is I have a Nintendo Switch and would love to play a football game on it, and EA won’t even release Madden and prevents others from making a game for NS. I don’t even care about graphics…I’d have fun with an NBA Jam type of football game…something cartoony like other Nintendo games, as long as it’s fun and has real players/teams.

Anyone else knew the hack of always picking the best players in the draft?

Anyone else knew the hack of always picking the best players in the draft?
I’d just trade for all top picks.
But I’ll never forget best player I ever got in the draft was a WR who was a 88 as a rookie. Dominated everything.
My one friend drafted a corner who was a 71 and we played Franchise mode actually played the games and he got him up to a 95.
Within 2 seasons.

I’d just trade for all top picks.
But I’ll never forget best player I ever got in the draft was a WR who was a 88 as a rookie. Dominated everything.
My one friend drafted a corner who was a 71 and we played Franchise mode actually played the games and he got him up to a 95.
Within 2 seasons.
The way to do was to always ignore pre draft ratings and go by their radius map of attributes. The bigger the map, the more likely they will be good. Many times, the best players were hidden in later rounds so I was a trade down machine. The game would always give me a bad draft grade, but it would turn out that I had the best players in the draft.

That was a great feature though back in the day to take a guy with a low rating and make him into a good player.

The way to do was to always ignore pre draft ratings and go by their radius map of attributes. The bigger the map, the more likely they will be good. Many times, the best players were hidden in later rounds so I was a trade down machine. The game would always give me a bad draft grade, but it would turn out that I had the best players in the draft.

That was a great feature though back in the day to take a guy with a low rating and make him into a good player.
That’s right I completely forgot your 100 percent right.
Prospect rated as a fourth rounder but your looking at the route running or coverage skill meter like yeah it taking him early.

Prospect rated as a fourth rounder but your looking at the route running or coverage skill meter like yeah it taking him early.
Lol I remember Brady use to retire in like Madden 2008 like after the first year of franchise Mode no matter what you did.
Insane to think about that.

I could only trade down so many times so I would take some “reaches” and that’s why I would get bad draft grades. Fun times.

Saw a study on the demographics of Madden players....

Average age: 37
% who wear NFL jerseys when playing Madden: 27%
% who face paint when playing Madden: 8%
Favorite game meal: Chicken nuggets
Favorite vegetable: French fries
% who own home: 11%
Most popular dwelling: Van by the river

Saw a study on the demographics of Madden players....

Average age: 37
% who wear NFL jerseys when playing Madden: 27%
% who face paint when playing Madden: 8%
Favorite game meal: Chicken nuggets
Favorite vegetable: French fries
% who own home: 11%
Most popular dwelling: Van by the river
I fit into the age which is 36 and own a home, that's about it.

Ronald Mcdonald Laughing GIF

I fit into the age which is 36 and own a home, that's about it.

Ronald Mcdonald Laughing GIF
I haven’t played madden in 4 years.
However madden in highschool was intense.
We wouldn’t let the computer do anything on the field if a computer got a INT or a strip sack you had to punt the ball back.
If you threw the ball and the pc receiver caught it vs you taking control and running the route thru the catch as the player. You had to take a sack on purpose for the distance.
The phrase was that wasn’t you it was the CPU I’m not seeing you. We used to call of work or skip school and do madden tournaments with up to 12 people waiting to get on the sticks and not sleep for days.
It will never be the same.

Madden 21 was the first time I didn’t buy the game due to its poor horrific reviews. Im buying it this year with hopes they’ve improved the game.
I don’t play franchise mode or MUT, just a causal player who plays vs friends and family.

What sucks is I have a Nintendo Switch and would love to play a football game on it, and EA won’t even release Madden and prevents others from making a game for NS. I don’t even care about graphics…I’d have fun with an NBA Jam type of football game…something cartoony like other Nintendo games, as long as it’s fun and has real players/teams.
So true. Tony Hawks and NBA 2K show you can put a triple A title on switch with a drop in graphics and it be good.
I remember how fun Madden was on the Wii when they took it less serious and used gestures to throw and catch. Had a 5v5 mode too

something to keep in mind is that this years Madden is gonna feel the full brunt of game development during Covid. Which does not bode well for polishing bugs and such when EA already cuts as many corners as it can.

I was pretty good at Madden in the Gronk/Hernandez/Welker phase. I would only play the Pats. I signed up for a "friendly" Madden tournament at the exchange on base. Everyone in my circle thought I was gonna win, I had a solid only head to head record i think of like 80 something wins and 30 something losses. I show up thinking it's going to be online rules-- 5 or 6 min quarters, full game, pick your own team, best player wins.

I show up and since it's Super Bowl weekend, we could ONLY pick the Packers or Steelers. That right there is disadvantage 1 to me. Never playing anyone but the Pats I didn't know how to use anyone else's roster. So we flip a coin, winner picks team. Of course I lose and this guy picks the Packers so I'm stuck with the turd that is the 2010 Steelers. Then we get in the game and find out it's only 2 minute quarters which is HORRIBLE for the type of offense I run (control the clock, long drives, etc). THEN on top of that there's a "mercy" rule that if you're down 15+ points it's an automatic win for the other person.

Needless to say I was out within 5 minutes of even picking up the controller. Awful format.

Oh and the kid I was playing against was a very confident, very talkative, teenage black kid. It was over before it even began.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back