PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Salary Cap is 182.5 million in 2021. Down fron 198.2 million last year

From what I can see, there are still ten teams over the cap. A couple are way over the cap like the Saints who are over $50 million over the cap. Several other teams are already close to the cap and don't even have enough room to sign their draft picks. Should be a lot of good players cut between now and the start of the league year.

Apparently if they didn’t spread this out cap would be 155 million

Cap space for the 32 ... Pats are 3rd in available space... not counting the trent brown trade

This is the lowest the cap has been since 2017. Teams made deals expecting the cap to go up year after year. The next few years could be down cap-wise barring some blockbuster new TV contracts.

Cap space for the 32 ... Pats are 3rd in available space... not counting the trent brown trade

...and from the same site a single page to play around with where savings can be realized (cut/trade/restructure)

If they really wanted to they could find another $38m.

Not sure how good of a team they'd have after though...

They could get a crap load of money and make the team no worse than last year if they cut Hightower, Cannon, and Edelman. I don't see them cutting Hightower. I think they will give Edelman a chance to rehab and come back, but that could change this summer if he isn't responding well. I think Cannon will be forced to take a pay cut or be cut.

This is the lowest the cap has been since 2017. Teams made deals expecting the cap to go up year after year. The next few years could be down cap-wise barring some blockbuster new TV contracts.
My understanding is that’s exactly what‘s going to happen, they’re currently negotiating new TV deals and the NFL is asking for the moon (and might get it):
The NFL is asking for a 100% increase in TV rights payments, but Disney is pushing back

Absent that, it’s possible the NFL could be allowed full fans this year, bringing 2021 revenue close to the original projections. Supposedly they’re spreading this year’s artificial boost over 3 years. So if @lancerman ’s 155m number is correct (what it would have been if no boost agreed to), then the next 3 year’s caps will be reduced by around $9m per year from what it would have been. Initial estimates were that 2022 would be around $220m (2021 was estimated to be in the $210m ballpark before the pandemic struck), so the 2022 revised estimate is probably around $210m assuming full fans. It’ll get bumped down further if there are additional restrictions this year. But as you note, the new TV deals could wind up boosting it up. We’ll see how this plays out.

Last edited:
They could get a crap load of money and make the team no worse than last year if they cut Hightower, Cannon, and Edelman. I don't see them cutting Hightower. I think they will give Edelman a chance to rehab and come back, but that could change this summer if he isn't responding well. I think Cannon will be forced to take a pay cut or be cut.
The Hightower negotiation is the one to watch. He'll be 31 in a couple of days. If they keep him they'll shell out $8.9m in cash.

Preference is they extend him to next year. Guarantee some money in 2021 and kick some to 2022 and as a byproduct realize cap savings this year. Win-win.

The Hightower negotiation is the one to watch. He'll be 31 in a couple of days. If they keep him they'll shell out $8.9m in cash.

Preference is they extend him to next year. Guarantee some money in 2021 and kick some to 2022 and as a byproduct realize cap savings this year. Win-win.
IMO we have to keep Hightower. We have zero at the position.

Bill.... it is time

Watch Bill not sign anyone until end of April waiting for middle class vets w/o deals to take whatever scrap deal he throws at them. This place will go ballistic.

IMO we have to keep Hightower. We have zero at the position.

Agree. Hightower isn't some random body, he's one of the best in the game when healthy and a championship caliber player. I think we need to groom his replacement though while keeping him, so if we get Micah Parsons or Zaven Collins I'd be all on board.

Watch Bill not sign anyone until end of April waiting for middle class vets w/o deals to take whatever scrap deal he throws at them. This place will go ballistic.

I fully expect this to happen. I don't want some bad splashy expensive signing like Adalius Thomas or Roosevelt Colvin. Give me some under the radar moves like a Rodney Harrison or Ted Washington or Lagarette Blount that nobody realizes is an amazing signing until a year later.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back