PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Russell demanding $35M guaranteed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo59

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
This is just so ridiculous I had to post it.

A league source tells us that the Oakland Raiders have offered quarterback JaMarcus Russell, the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, a six-year contract containing more than $30 million in guaranteed money. The actual number could be closer to $31 million than it is to $30 million.

This information is contrary to reports that the Raiders have topped out at a lower number.

We're also told that the Russell camp presently is looking for guaranteed money in the neighborhood of $35 million.

Though we don't know how such a package could be put together in light of practical restrictions such as the rookie pool and the 25-percent rule, we're told that Russell's agents believe that their proposed structure would allow an amount of that magnitude to be guaranteed, and would likewise survive scrutiny of the management council.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

35 MILLION?!!! That is absurd?

As much as money was thrown around in free agency this year, what contract even approached 30 million, let alone 35 million guaranteed? JaMarcus Russel has never taken a snap in the NFL! I don't see how these unproven rookies are getting so muvh more than proven Pro Bowlers. It just doesn't make any sense to me. IMO the rookie contract system at the top of the draft is sick. The numbers just keep going up and I think there might be a possible strike or lockout in the future because of it. The contracts are just getting unproportionally big too fast.

Re: Russel Demanding 35 Mil Guaranteed

This is just so ridiculous I had to post it.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

35 MILLION?!!! That is absurd?

As much as money was thrown around in free agency this year, what contract even approached 30 million, let alone 35 million guaranteed? JaMarcus Russel has never taken a snap in the NFL! I don't see how these unproven rookies are getting so muvh more than proven Pro Bowlers. It just doesn't make any sense to me. IMO the rookie contract system at the top of the draft is sick. The numbers just keep going up and I think there might be a possible strike or lockout in the future because of it. The contracts are just getting unproportionally big too fast.

This is why having a top 5 pick is not worth it especially a number one or two pick. $35 million for a guy who has just as much or more of a chance to have a Tim Couch or David Carr type of career as a Peyton Manning type of career.

I'd rather stick to mid to late round picks who can turn into solid players total contracts a fraction of the #1 pick's guarantees.

.... Did I mention the current rookie compensation scale is......NUTS!!!!!!!

Seriously its getting to the point were the draft is no longer a real benefit to the weaker teams, when that are being forced to make these very large investments in players who will likely NEVER meet the value of their contacts.

It simply doesn't make sense to pick in the top 5 any more. AND if this continues then the value of these high picks will diminish.

Last edited:

OK. Now, I might be a little slow right now from lack of sleep and such, but how could the number 1 pick demand $35 million in guaranteed money and still remain under the salary cap unless its guaranteed salary.

Also, I think its ludicrous of Russell and his agent to demand a 33% increase in guaranteed money over last year's #1 pick, Mario Williams.

Williams contract paid him $26.5 million guaranteed, but NO signing bonus.

Miguel, could you help with understanding on this? How much of the rookie pool did the Raiders get? And, can Russell's demands fit under what the Raiders have left in their pool?

LMAO.........Can you say Joey Harrington, David Carr and hey Reggie Bush hasn't been anything special himself. He didn't have ONE RUN over 20 yards last season. I'm not impressed.

LMAO.........Can you say Joey Harrington, David Carr and hey Reggie Bush hasn't been anything special himself. He didn't have ONE RUN over 20 yards last season. I'm not impressed.

Actually, Bush did have 1 run of 25 yards against the Eagles. And, you should also remember that Bush was not used as the primary back, but as the option to McAllister. Bush was also very big in the receiving game having 88 receptions and actually leading the Saints in receptions. Bush had 6 rushing TDs, 2 receiving TDs and 1 punt return for a TD.

I think its foolishness to say that Bush wasn't anything special when he was exactly what the Saints wanted him to be as he got used to the pro game.

Trust me - if this is anything like the thread about giving a rookie WR $27 million in guaranteed money, there will be plenty of folks around here who have absolutely no problem justifying giving such a huge amount of money guaranteed to an unproven commodity.

Call me crazy but I prefer to spend the bulk of my cap dollars on guys who have shown they can do it in the NFL.

Trust me - if this is anything like the thread about giving a rookie WR $27 million in guaranteed money, there will be plenty of folks around here who have absolutely no problem justifying giving such a huge amount of money guaranteed to an unproven commodity.

Call me crazy but I prefer to spend the bulk of my cap dollars on guys who have shown they can do it in the NFL.

These rookie deals have gotten out of control. I don't know what else to say. Russell is not worth more in one year than Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

Actually, Bush did have 1 run of 25 yards against the Eagles. And, you should also remember that Bush was not used as the primary back, but as the option to McAllister. Bush was also very big in the receiving game having 88 receptions and actually leading the Saints in receptions. Bush had 6 rushing TDs, 2 receiving TDs and 1 punt return for a TD.

That 25 yard run was in the NFC Divisional Playoffs, though. He didn't have a big run in the regular season.

prior to the Sugar Bowl, not many people knew who Russell was unless you lived in the Bayou.

That 25 yard run was in the NFC Divisional Playoffs, though. He didn't have a big run in the regular season.

So what. He's a rookie learning to play at the pro-level. He's not going to rip off the long runs the way he did at USC when he was a Man against lessers.

The fact is that Bush had a very good rookie year and looks to be filling out into what I said he would. A Brian Westbrook type back. And that isn't anything to be displeased with.

prior to the Sugar Bowl, not many people knew who Russell was unless you lived in the Bayou.

Russel has a good bowl game and he makes 30 million dollars and probably more.

Last edited:
Re: Russell demanding 35 Mil guaranteed

Another question: how much $$ did QB Alex Smith (#1 overall, 2005) receive from the 49ers? Are Russell's requests at the same % increase in the salary cap since '05?

(make that 2 questions)

This is why having a top 5 pick is not worth it especially a number one or two pick. $35 million for a guy who has just as much or more of a chance to have a Tim Couch or David Carr type of career as a Peyton Manning type of career.

I'd rather stick to mid to late round picks who can turn into solid players total contracts a fraction of the #1 pick's guarantees.
I agree. remember the big debate when Manning came out in '98? It seems silly now, but at the time, a lot of people liked Ryan Leaf more than Manning, just like some felt Rick Mirer was better than Bledsoe.

I just don't get why rookies feel the need to turn down contract offers that will pay them as much as Brady, Manning and Palmer. Something is wrong here.

Re: Russell demanding 35 Mil guaranteed

Another question: how much $$ did QB Alex Smith (#1 overall, 2005) receive from the 49ers? Are Russell's requests at the same % increase in the salary cap since '05?

(make that 2 questions)

Smith got 24 million in guaranteed money. I don't know about the second part.

They should have a pay scale for all rookies coming in. I'm not sure of the details, but it's not fair for a rookie to get paid the same amount as the best players in the game their first year.

To be fair, Sean Payton's schemes of Deuce McCalister/Reggie Bush combo has worked out brilliantly.

Bush was good, but I don't think he was the phenomenon he was built up to be. But it was only his first year.

How valuable do you think Bush was to NO? IMHO, he did all that he was asked to do, and much more.

Bush was good, but I don't think he was the phenomenon he was built up to be. But it was only his first year.

How valuable do you think Bush was to NO? IMHO, he did all that he was asked to do, and much more.

They found many ways top use them, and he was certainly a valueable assett, but IMO he didn't live up to the hype. He was supposed to blow everyone's socks off and I don't think he reached that level. He did some things well, but did nothing particularly great. He really struggled as a running back at times but they fed him the ball a lot in the passing game which led to his high catch numbers. I'm not at all saying he was bad. Like I said before, he was an assett to the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes