PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Run Defense - Shades of 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep Danny Clark mentioned in the waiver thread. Yep trades. Pats1 did a nice 2005-2006 comparison in another thread and noted NE has the same depth they had last year, where the run D got really healthy with healthy players - we're missing one LB out to injury at the moment, he'll be back sooner rather then later. TBC is ready to step in and play - STs last year. The veteran signing has some experience we should be able to appreciate (and I have him outlined in caution yellow). BB kept 8 DL, that is two complete 4-3 lines.

We ain't that bad and yellow pant legs clash with Patriot colors. :snob:

Box_O_Rocks said:
Yep Danny Clark mentioned in the waiver thread. Yep trades. Pats1 did a nice 2005-2006 comparison in another thread and noted NE has the same depth they had last year, where the run D got really healthy with healthy players - we're missing one LB out to injury at the moment, he'll be back sooner rather then later. TBC is ready to step in and play - STs last year. The veteran signing has some experience we should be able to appreciate (and I have him outlined in caution yellow). BB kept 8 DL, that is two complete 4-3 lines.

We ain't that bad and yellow pant legs clash with Patriot colors. :snob:

So do you think we need another linebacker or not? You seem to be sitting on the fence.

shmessy said:
Look folks, no one is saying our LB corps AS IT EXISTS 8 DAYS BEFORE THE FIRST GAME is perfect. Someone, however is assuming there won't be any more roster moves before the season. No one informed me of this enforced freeze by the league.

Let the damn ice solidify before you go skating on the lake.

In the meantime, IF there aren't any more roster moves in the next 8 days (and forget THAT), we can say that the DL is better and deeper than last year's and the secondary is better and deeper than last year's. 2 out of 3 D units stronger and one weaker is something I won't panic about.

Add to that, we have an offense thast is more time of possession oriented than last year's and imagine how that could help our D.

There are several positives here and one current negative compared to last year. Have some perspective.

I think Pats1 is saying that.

RayClay said:
I think Pats1 is saying that.

Well then I'm in excellent company!

shmessy said:
Well then I'm in excellent company!

I am in favor of roster moves before the season.

Just for the record.:D

RayClay said:
So do you think we need another linebacker or not? You seem to be sitting on the fence.
I think our first game is Sept 10 and our FO staff have their fingers on the pulse. We were winning in Denver last year with some pretty serious problems and some street scrapings (before our stars began imploding) save the panic for Monday AFTER Buffalo runs for 300 yards against us. It's not like McGahee won't be a decent test case to start the season - and we go in semi-cold against a new coaching staff, so a more generic game plan.

Now would I look at another LB, yep, Dan Clark ex-Oakland deserves a good look - as shmessy said, we demote Smith to Practice Squad if they want to give him a full test drive, but remember how new LBs react to this system...though he should have a head start after Ryan tried to install the system there before Sapp proved unable to play DE.

Bruschi comes back before October, barring unusual problems healing, that gives us a 2003 look with Bru/Seau, Vrabes/Rosey, and TBC to come in on passing downs in place of Seau with Vrabes sliding inside. It's not that shabby.

Box_O_Rocks said:
We're Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaved!

Feel safer? If not, please list what you would do differently to improve our run defense? Honestly.

Put eight men in the box.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I think our first game is Sept 10 and our FO staff have their fingers on the pulse. We were winning in Denver last year with some pretty serious problems and some street scrapings (before our stars began imploding) save the panic for Monday AFTER Buffalo runs for 300 yards against us. It's not like McGahee won't be a decent test case to start the season - and we go in semi-cold against a new coaching staff, so a more generic game plan.

Now would I look at another LB, yep, Dan Clark ex-Oakland deserves a good look - as shmessy said, we demote Smith to Practice Squad if they want to give him a full test drive, but remember how new LBs react to this system...though he should have a head start after Ryan tried to install the system there before Sapp proved unable to play DE.

Bruschi comes back before October, barring unusual problems healing, that gives us a 2003 look with Bru/Seau, Vrabes/Rosey, and TBC to come in on passing downs in place of Seau with Vrabes sliding inside. It's not that shabby.

Not to continue my disgusting love-fest with Box-O-Rocks, but I really agree regarding Danny Clark.

The Raider fans are just as P.O'd about losing him as they are about the Gabriel trade. As you mentioned, he KNOWS our system via the Coach Ryan Correspondence School.

If we pick up this guy for short money in the next couple of days, I'll raise a Haffenreffer or three!

Last edited:
kurtinelson said:
Put eight men in the box.
Situational, as BB might say; Rodney is getting his groove back; Sanders has shown promise to become Son-of-Rodney; Hawkins was the little battering ram that did last season when it came to sticking his nose in; Alexander played safety at some point in his career, no reason he couldn't take over the Don Davis secret safety role for specific situations; all in all, we have the personel to engage in some eight man run stuffing, but I'm not that worried yet, once Bruschi is back the rotation outlined above will make for some fun. :rocker:

Box_O_Rocks said:

I'm not panicking.

If they added a run stuffer and still struggled the first game or two, I'd feel we could work it out or could ride out an injury.

I don't feel that way now.

Although I'm fine with Seau and Vrabel moving Vrabes adds question marks at OLB to lack of depth at ILB.

1 decent player at either would make us adequate until Bruschi returns and that's all I want.

Kurtis and Ray, how DARE you suggest we have any questions whatsoever at LB.

Funny how all the homers are so quick to admonish you for basing anything on preseason or last year ( as if any of us don't know that teams play back up players playing vanilla game plans in preseason.....) butGEE, DIDN'T WE LOOK GREAT AGAINST ARIZONA !!!!!! MORE KOOL-AID, PLEASE

LOL. This forum is priceless sometimes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results