PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Pats interested in Josh Rosen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson. - All rumors that the Patriots will trade UP for.

Lauletta - Rumor he fits perfect for the Patriots (Jimmy's clone).

Well, remember Tom Brady? All the experts say he was slow, average arm, and is a late-round pick, destined to be a forever BACKUP. Even BillB was taking a flyer on him.

None of these QBs are sure bets, especially in BillB's system.

The logical play is to use the 2 picks on the DL, or trade one of the picks for more picks...

Select a QB in 2nd-3rd round. It still is not too late to get a QB in 2019 draft if need be....

IMO

I think you might be mistaken on this one. I think he made trades in the 2012 Draft to wind up with Hightower.

Nope. It was their 2012 3 to move up for Jones and their 2012 4 to move up for Hightower. No future picks involved.

Darnold, Rosen and Allen are all going in the top 4. It will take a minimum of both our 1sts and next years 1 to get there. Doesn't seem like a BB move to me.

The better play is to take a 2/3 round development QB and try and trade one of our 1sts for a future 1st. That could end up being a top 10 pick and our future QB. At worst it will still leave us two 1sts to play with next year.

More like test driving a ferrari and buying a pinto

I don't know... Jackson is pretty talented.

In this comparison, he could definitely be a Shelby Mustang. He can do what he's good at, but will need a lot of work to become better all around.

Darnold, Rosen and Allen are all going in the top 4. It will take a minimum of both our 1sts and next years 1 to get there. Doesn't seem like a BB move to me.

The better play is to take a 2/3 round development QB and try and trade one of our 1sts for a future 1st. That could end up being a top 10 pick and our future QB. At worst it will still leave us two 1sts to play with next year.

Nope. I don't think it would take both this year.

Rosen, Mayfield, Jackson. - All rumors that the Patriots will trade UP for.

Lauletta - Rumor he fits perfect for the Patriots (Jimmy's clone).

Well, remember Tom Brady? All the experts say he was slow, average arm, and is a late-round pick, destined to be a forever BACKUP. Even BillB was taking a flyer on him.

None of these QBs are sure bets, especially in BillB's system.

The logical play is to use the 2 picks on the DL, or trade one of the picks for more picks...

Select a QB in 2nd-3rd round. It still is not too late to get a QB in 2019 draft if need be....

IMO

The number of successful NFL quarterbacks drafted beyond the 1st round is pretty small. Yes, sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you win the lottery. But most of the time you end up with Rohan Davey or Kevin O'Connell.

Lauletta's a late day 2 pick at best because he's got a popgun arm. You can teach someone with a big arm better mechanics, but you can't teach someone with great mechanics how to get a bigger arm.

Brady's 41. He's only got a couple years left, and that's optimistic. He could fall apart at any minute. A 1st round pick gets you an extra year of cost control, and a good, cost-controlled QB is basically the winning formula in the NFL.

The rest of that piece...

Josh Rosen is straight out of the make-a-quarterback factory. He has perfect size (6-4, 218), accuracy, arm strength and intelligence. If teams only looked at skill and ability, he'd likely be the consensus top pick in the draft.

But Rosen has developed a reputation that he's difficult to get along with and hard to coach. It's a damning assessment of a player who, on April 26th, will become the face of an NFL franchise. It has gotten to the point these off-field red flags come up as much as Rosen's on-field ability.

And Jason Negro believes that's asinine. Rosen, he said, is just misunderstood.

In 2014, in-between his junior and senior seasons at St. John Bosco, Rosen attended Trent Dilfer's Elite 11 football camp. Dilfer sent playbooks and schemes to each of the players beforehand so they could familiarize themselves before arriving.

As soon as Rosen got his, he got to work. He went over every route and every concept on every page. He wanted to master it so he showed up more prepared than the 17 other high school quarterbacks. But in his studies, a few things popped up. So, he took the playbook to Negro.

Dilfer had specific concepts drawn against certain coverages that Rosen didn't understand. He felt other routes would work better. He came up with a few adjustments. Negro, quickly, shot them down … but not because they were wrong.

“'Josh, there may be flaws, but that's not for you to go and tell Trent Dilfer. Don't do it.” Negro recalled telling his young quarterback. “But he couldn't help it.”

At the camp, Rosen started asking Dilfer questions. He began questioning why things were done this way, and not that way? He had to understand. His intentions weren't malicious, he genuinely wanted to know.

After the camp ended, Dilfer said in an interview with “The Opening Drive” that Rosen “has yet to buy into what I'm preaching … he's a guy who keeps telling me how they do it at John Bosco.”

Things spiraled out of control from there. Rosen's intentions were lost in translation.

“He can't just accept something until he understands everything about it,” Negro said. That's led to him getting misunderstood. He's so intelligent, he has to know why things are done a certain way.

“He's a questions guy. He wants to know the 'why' behind everything. What he had to learn, and he has, is that there's a time and a place for that. He needed to mature.”

Jason Negro isn't a stranger to elite quarterback play. St. John Bosco plays in the Trinity League and is part of the California Interscholastic Federation. It's one of the more prestigious high school conferences in the country. Negro's coached or seen the likes of Carson Palmer, Mark Sanchez, Matt Leinart and others. He's had a slew of his own players, in addition to Josh Rosen, play high-level collegiate ball.

Negro knows talent when he sees it. But then again, anyone who watches Rosen throw can, too. Where he separates himself, in his high school coach's eyes, is with his football acumen. It's been there ever since he was a kid.

It takes time to develop a high school quarterback, especially playing against the talent in the Trinity League. But with Rosen, there was no adjustment period. Never. It all just … made sense. Coaches would tell him to do one thing, he'd do it once, and he'd get it. Negro can't recall a situation where they had to rep something, over and over again, to help it make sense for Rosen.

At the end of each practice, Negro's staff would upload film for players to review. It gives them a chance to self-critique when they're home. Rosen was always the first to ask for his. It wasn't long before Negro saw why.

“He'd come back the next day in the meetings and know everything — I mean everything,” Negro said. “He knew the throws he hit, the throws he missed, why he made those mistakes, how he can improve. Everything. All in just a day. He was an incredible learner.

“Typical high school kids don't do that. They're into so many other things because they're kids. But Josh wasn't into that. He was focusing on football, refining his craft, and trying to be the best he can possibly be.”

Negro said Rosen was the best quarterback he ever coached. But what impressed Negro as much as any throw or film study was how Rosen acted off the field. There was never a time Rosen believed he was above the team. He didn't skip workouts or cut in line during team meals. He was also friends with everyone.

St. John Bosco is located southeast of L.A. The school is 40 minutes in either direction from some of the nicer areas in the city and some of the worst. The kids attending the school come from all different social and economic backgrounds.

“He was so generous to everyone,” Negro said. “I'm not saying he gave them money. It's not about that. He was just able to adapt and get along with everybody in our program.”

Jason Negro's phone has rung quite a bit these last few months. Most times it's an NFL team on the other end.

Understandably so. When you've spent more time coaching Josh Rosen than anyone else, you're the one who knows Josh Rosen the best.

Coaches, scouts and personnel executives have dug in on Negro, the head football coach at St. John Bosco High School in Bellflower, Calif., trying to figure out what kind of person Rosen is. Are the rumors of his personality flaws true? Can he be a leader? Was he a leader?

Negro answers each question as honestly as he can. Then he tells a story.

In the summer of 2014, St. John Bosco had an opportunity to play Saint Louis, a high school in Hawaii (and alma mater of Marcus Mariota, who graduated in 2010). To do so, each kid had to raise $1,500. This wasn't an issue for many on the roster. They just had to go home, ask mom and dad for a check, then come back the next day. But for those coming from less privileged backgrounds? It wasn't possible.

And that didn't sit well with Rosen.

The 17-year-old, with some help from the team's operations coordinator Jessie Christensen, designed a discount card on his iPad. The next day, dressed in a suit and tie, he took it to many of the local businesses and restaurants in Bellflower. His pitch: If someone shows you this card, give them some form of a discount. The proceeds of which would go directly to the St. John Bosco football program to help those less-fortunate kids get to Hawaii.

It worked. Rosen's program helped several teammates fund their trips.

Negro had never seen such selfless initiative taken by a student. When he went to Rosen with praise, the teenager met him with a request: Don't tell anybody. Rosen didn't want the credit. He was just helping his teammates out.

“I only talk about it now because he's been gone for three years,” Negro said. “Josh takes a lot of hits in the media with how outspoken he is and some of the things he says. But actions like that? I mean, I think it's a testament to his character and who he is.”

I chalk that up as a former coach doing what he should be doing for a former player: talking him up.

I know for a fact certain aspects of that article are "exaggerated."

I know people very close to the program. He's not nearly as likeable as Jason makes him out to be, to out it broadly. One of the guys I know, I just ran into a few weeks ago. I asked Darnold or Rosen at 1. He said neither. Everyone acknowledges Rosen's physical talent and intelligence. Even detractors. I think that tells you a lot about the leadership and personality questions.

Now, he's 21. Still a kid. People mature at different rates. If the Patriots like Rosen enough, I'll root for him to be a star. But from what I've been told, I really hope he's not a trade up target.

If we had to move up, give me Darnold or Mayfield. Being a QB is more about the intangibles imo. Those two may not have the physical tools of Rosen, Allen, or even Jackson. But they're gamers. They have flaws, and certainly have things to improve upon but they perform and they make their teammates better.

Both our 1sts likely get us to around 8-10. The Jets just gave up a huge bounty to move from 6 to 3. It'll take another 1st or two 2nds to get up into the top 4. I don't want to pay that price.

Number 23 and the second rounder which is 43 I believe and the first in 2019 and a second rounder. That would do it but idk if bill would do that.

I refuse to fall in love with a QB after I was a few steps away from being a garappolite.
Plus I dont want to adopt him as a binky to watch him wear puke Green or become a Jill Mafia

Some really promising QBs in this years draft. I'm excited

Lauletta's a late day 2 pick at best because he's got a popgun arm. You can teach someone with a big arm better mechanics, but you can't teach someone with great mechanics how to get a bigger arm.

You make it a bit simpler than it actually is. Jacoby Brisett (or Bortles) is also what you can get if you think you can just teach someone with a good arm better mechanics. A player who just can't adept those mechanics and doesn't make any jumps in accuracy.

And to be honest I find it easier to coach around a player with great mechanics who can't make certain throws than someone who can make them all but is inconsistent.

That being said Lauletta reminds me a little bit of Hoyer. I can't put it into words why that is but there is something about him.

That being said Lauletta reminds me a little bit of Hoyer. I can't put it into words why that is but there is something about him.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Ridiculous Thread the only QB is slated to be on the Board when we pick and that's a maybe is Mason Rudolf. Josh Rosen is Top Ten talent unless we plan on Trading both Firsts even that might not be enough.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes