PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: Carrol to Chargers is a done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Bong

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS SIMPLY SPECULATIVE RUMOR. NOT FACT!

RUMORS SPREAD THAT CARROLL-TO-CHARGERS IS A DONE DEAL
http://profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

There is increasing talk in league circles regarding suspicions that the San Diego Chargers already have a secret deal in place with USC coach Pete Carroll.

Folks are pointing to some of the same facts we outlined on Monday night, after word broke that Marty Schottenheimer had been fired. Some think that the most convincing proof was/is USC assistant Steve Sarkisian's abrupt about-face with the Raiders, followed days later by the decision of his former Trojan colleague, Lane Kiffin, to take the job.

Why else, the theory goes, would Kiffin take a job that Sarkisian didn't want unless they both knew that Carroll wasn't long for the USC gig, and that Sarkisian, not Kiffin, had been hand-picked to replace him?

Others are pointing to the fact that the first guy to be interviewed is Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, who has no head-coaching experience but who helps the Chargers satisfy the Rooney Rule quickly, in the event that the Pete Carroll cat gets out of the bag prematurely and none of the minority candidates agree to sit for the job. (See Detroit Lions and Steve Mariucci.)

We're also told that there is worry among the incoming class of USC recruits regarding the possibility that Carroll is leaving. But Pete has opted not to even address the situation publicly.

If he were not going to be the San Diego coach, he could easily say so. The fact that he has said nothing at all speaks volumes, in our view. Especially since he now has a couple dozen nervous high school seniors who signed papers seven days ago under the assumption that the head coach would be sticking around for at least the next month.

Stay tuned. We predict that the Chargers will go through the motions with several candidates, and that Carroll will then swoop in out of the blue as the guy.

If that happens, look for Pat Kirwan to soon follow him -- and for G.M. A.J. Smith to definitely get the boot after the draft.

===============
ONCE AGAIN - THIS IS ONLY RUMOR

Last edited:

There is increasing talk in league circles regarding suspicions that the San Diego Chargers already have a secret deal in place with USC coach Pete Carroll.

Folks are pointing to some of the same facts we outlined on Monday night, after word broke that Marty Schottenheimer had been fired. Some think that the most convincing proof was/is USC assistant Steve Sarkisian's abrupt about-face with the Raiders, followed days later by the decision of his former Trojan colleague, Lane Kiffin, to take the job.

Why else, the theory goes, would Kiffin take a job that Sarkisian didn't want unless they both knew that Carroll wasn't long for the USC gig, and that Sarkisian, not Kiffin, had been hand-picked to replace him?

Others are pointing to the fact that the first guy to be interviewed is Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, who has no head-coaching experience but who helps the Chargers satisfy the Rooney Rule quickly, in the event that the Pete Carroll cat gets out of the bag prematurely and none of the minority candidates agree to sit for the job. (See Detroit Lions and Steve Mariucci.)

We're also told that there is worry among the incoming class of USC recruits regarding the possibility that Carroll is leaving. But Pete has opted not to even address the situation publicly.

If he were not going to be the San Diego coach, he could easily say so. The fact that he has said nothing at all speaks volumes, in our view. Especially since he now has a couple dozen nervous high school seniors who signed papers seven days ago under the assumption that the head coach would be sticking around for at least the next month.

Stay tuned. We predict that the Chargers will go through the motions with several candidates, and that Carroll will then swoop in out of the blue as the guy.

If that happens, look for Pat Kirwan to soon follow him -- and for G.M. A.J. Smith to definitely get the boot after the draft.

===============
I hope it's true. That would complete the demise of the San Diego Chargers. Petey had two chances in the NFL and proved that he is not NFL material. His rah rah style works in college because it makes him a great recruiter. That doesn't help much in the pros.

THIS IS ONLY A RUMOR!

Actually, it's ProFootballTalk, which has become a very credible source.

If Caroll becomes the Chargers HC. The San Diego Chargers will become the 97 Ne Pats, talented but no motivation, or discipline..

If Caroll becomes the Chargers HC. The San Diego Chargers will become the 97 Ne Pats, talented but no motivation, or discipline..

And they're a little shaky in the discipline department to begin with.

not trying to fan the flames here, but apparently Pete declined to speak with reporters this AM and instead issued a statement through USC to the effect that he had nothing to say on the subject. it's easy to make too much of something like that, but it's also not a ringing denial...

Last edited:
I don't doubt Carroll may end up wanting out of USC if the rumors of the NCAA poised to tear them a new one over improprieties on his watch come to pass. But that would beg the question, why would Sarkesian want to stay on to become a college HC under sanction when he could have been an NFL HC, and why would SD want to hire Pete under a cloud of college scandal.

I also doubt AJ gets the axe - Felger reported yesterday that the staffing argument that resulted in Marty's firing concerned Marty wanting to hire his brother Kirk, a lightly thought of secondary coach for the Packers, to be the new DC. LOL. This after he barely retained his job as a lame duck figurehead HC a month before assuming the existing DC and OC had remained to run the day to day operation of the team.

Talent aside I think whatever transpires from here on out SD will take a step back, maybe not to 8-8 with their talent but back to the pack at 10-6 ish.

I think you all may be surprised by Carroll. I mean, yes, he was bad with the Pats. But maybe he learned. Remember, Belichick had a terrible reputation coming from the Browns and he has turned out great. If you put Carroll in California, where people and the media in general are much more laid back than here in freezing, icy New England, you may see great success for him. His experience with the Jets almost doesn't count cause he took over as interim coach and didn't really have a full season of coaching. His experience with the pats was much more significant and I'm sure he learned A LOT from that experience, and gained some other skills coaching college.

I'm just saying, don't assume he'll be bad.

"Brilliant" move by him; he is in the ideal situation for his coaching style, ie, as others have pointed out, the rah rah BS. He has an excellent program, kids flock to him to play there, he is making loads of money and is basically set for life.

Instead of staying there, his ego gets the best of him and he goes back to the NFL, where he will be a failure AGAIN and be looking for a job in four years. He'll be back in the college ranks until the next NFL position opens up.

When are these egomaniacs ever going to learn..........

Last edited:
I hope it's true. That would complete the demise of the San Diego Chargers. Petey had two chances in the NFL and proved that he is not NFL material. His rah rah style works in college because it makes him a great recruiter. That doesn't help much in the pros.

I AGREE 100% with this

Norm Chow has got to be punching himself in the head.

I think you all may be surprised by Carroll. I mean, yes, he was bad with the Pats. But maybe he learned. Remember, Belichick had a terrible reputation coming from the Browns and he has turned out great. If you put Carroll in California, where people and the media in general are much more laid back than here in freezing, icy New England, you may see great success for him. His experience with the Jets almost doesn't count cause he took over as interim coach and didn't really have a full season of coaching. His experience with the pats was much more significant and I'm sure he learned A LOT from that experience, and gained some other skills coaching college.

I'm just saying, don't assume he'll be bad.

That's what Bob Kraft believes, much to the chagrin of his fan base. He is on record saying he would hire Pete again under better circumstances. He came into a mess from the FO on down to the entitled players. Kraft knows that had a lot to do with his struggles - and it's another reason he gave BB carte blanche over football operations and very shortly Belioli carte blanche in the contracts area as well. Pete didn't have much support or influence, and didn't have a cap and contracts guru which apparently Kirwin would be tapped for in any Carroll administration going forward. He didn't succeed with a team BB wasn't going to succeed with either, only BB had options (and luck) that Pete didn't. Rah-Rah and hugging plays in a lot of markets, just not on the east coast.

===============

If a kid signs a letter of intent to attend a University and the coahc leaves can the kid change his mind ? It would frost me big time if I signed to play under a coach and he left...

Hard to imagine Pete Carrol giving 100% of personnel decisions to AJ Smith. Harder still to imagine Smith giving Carrol input into personnel matters.

I've come to dislike Charger players, so I hope the rumor is true. I just can't imagine it happening.

Hard to imagine Pete Carrol giving 100% of personnel decisions to AJ Smith. Harder still to imagine Smith giving Carrol input into personnel matters.

that's exactly what i thought when i saw this thread. Carrol wants control over personnel and there is no way he gets that in SD. This isn't happening.

Talent aside I think whatever transpires from here on out SD will take a step back, maybe not to 8-8 with their talent but back to the pack at 10-6 ish.

This soap opera is very good for the Colts and Pats. The Chargers definitely had the inside track on the #1 seed IMO. Their schedule is easier than the Colts and much easier than the Pats.

Now looking at it, I think 12-4 will probably win the #1 seed. This won't be a year with 14-2 or 15-1 teams. The schedules are too difficult. I see 11-5 or 12-4 winning both the East and South while 10-6 might take the North with 11-5 taking the West.

This is very simple. Pete will take the job of GM and coach or he will stay at USC.

he had nothing to say on the subject. it's easy to make too much of something like that, but it's also not a ringing denial...

Ringing denials have a way of coming back to bite you in the tuchas. Just ask Mr. " I'm not going to Alabama" Saban..................

If a kid signs a letter of intent to attend a University and the coahc leaves can the kid change his mind ? It would frost me big time if I signed to play under a coach and he left...

If the LOI is signed, then it is the school's decision as to whether the kid can be "released" from the LOI. The NCAA's take is that the kid signs with the school and not the coach. Of course, the NCAA seemingly has little concept of reality...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3