PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Robert Kraft at the owner meetings

Exactly. Explaining why they lost out on Ridley (girlfriend, taxes, QB situation, etc) while possibly accurate doesn't help matters at all.

In fact at this point in time it did the only thing it could, exacerbate the situation

So yeah, ahem. This means, come hell or high water, Kraft is going to meddle in the draft and pick a QB with the third pick, no matter what his staff says or how the QB is rated. He wants the big splash, etc. This could go very, very wrong, and it is a bad precedent to allow the owner to meddle in the draft; countless franchises have been ruined by meddling owners. Mayo does not have the gravitas to overrule Kraft.

Yep.

My gut feeling (and those are far more often right) is the Patriots will go through a phase of "missed it by that much" competence. They've still got some of the elements of a good franchise but the core that made the TB/BB era special and helped the team consistently rise above the mean is gone and unlikely to be replaced anytime soon, if ever.
“ If ever “….. I actually think that Krafts winning all those years put things out of perspective for him.

Couldn't have said it any better. Krafty Bob really needs to just stfu a touch.
Jeremy Jacobs was the league's cheapest ******* through most of his tenure as the Bruins owner but he had the saving grace of being the owner we heard from the least. Unless there's a trophy being handed over or an all time great being honored, no good ever comes outta the combination of an owner and a microphone. There's just no W in it
Didn’t Jacobs live in Buffalo ?

If in fact he didn't know that the docuseries was a hit piece against BB then IMO, he is irresponsible for at the very least not watching a pre screening of the docuseries that was copyrighted by his LLC. I think he didn't realize how much the fan base appreciated what BB did for the team and is disappointed with how easily Kraft through him under the bus.

I appreciate that Bob bought the team and helped make them into a dynasty. However, the last few years he lacks accountability and his leadership skills have diminished. Maybe Mayo can help turn things around. We will see.
It's all about the PR. People are calling him out as having made a HoF campaign series for himself, and players are coming forth against how events are portrayed in the series. So the PR move is to distance himself from the project. He'd sing a different tune if the reception for the series was universal applause. I think he found a few more jeers and flying tomatoes from the crowd than he expected.

Yep and it's a good place for him. Delaware North is still headquartered there.
He also used to spew to KPD down in Tampa midseason...

Pretty obvious that Brady was right believing he should have been the first quarterback chosen. Especially when the guy he kept beating out and bailing out was the top rated college football prospect. Just because others don’t see it doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have been a high first round pick.
He was only worth a 6th until Bill got his hands on him and molded him.

He was only worth a 6th until Bill got his hands on him and molded him.
Drew Henson was the #1 QB prospect in the nation, and Brady beat him out for the job, but still had to take a backseat to him, and then had to be brought in to save Michigan over and over. Brady knew he was the best QB in that draft, but the talent evaluators were completely blind to it. He also said he was going to take the job of the # 1 overall pick, who had just signed 100 million $$$ contract, and he did that as well.

I don’t disagree that Belichick helped to shape him into the greatest QB if all time, but Brady always put in the hard work to get there, never forgot what it took, and never took it for granted or stopped working at it. And that’s what it really takes to be great, and figuring that out is the most difficult job these teams have. It’s also another reason I believe they should be taking the QB at 3, because they need to start trying to get their franchise QB now, and keep trying if need be until they find them.

Lol
What's funny about these bologna sandwich jokes, is the Pats players graded the food/cafeteria a B- which ranked #14-#16, or about average. Sixteen teams graded their food worse.

They also graded the HC a B- which ranked #26-#29, or bottom 25%. Only three teams graded their HC worse (ATL, WAS, LV).

Agreed, TB12 is retired, Bill has moved on. We had it great last 2 decades.. eventually we had to start the new era. No structure is built without the foundation. We have a great owner, a smart young coach who's making his way , the 3rd pick in the draft.

Even Stevie wonder can see what the team needs.
Do we really have a great owner? Or do we have a lucky schmuck who hit gold with an incredibly unlikely combination: he hired a failed HC coach and gave him a second shot, and that coach then gave an unheralded rookie QB who almost went undrafted the chance to stick around despite an overcrowded QB room, and that QB / HC combo turned out to be a pair of football GOATs?

I mean, that’s simply an unrealistic scenario. Nothing to make a great owner from.

Meanwhile this great owner has his players rating his team worst in the league on amenities, doesn’t realize family facilities and weight rooms matter to his employees? Thats really great!

Drew Henson was the #1 QB prospect in the nation, and Brady beat him out for the job, but still had to take a backseat to him, and then had to be brought in to save Michigan over and over. Brady knew he was the best QB in that draft, but the talent evaluators were completely blind to it. He also said he was going to take the job of the # 1 overall pick, who had just signed 100 million $$$ contract, and he did that as well.

I don’t disagree that Belichick helped to shape him into the greatest QB if all time, but Brady always put in the hard work to get there, never forgot what it took, and never took it for granted or stopped working at it. And that’s what it really takes to be great, and figuring that out is the most difficult job these teams have. It’s also another reason I believe they should be taking the QB at 3, because they need to start trying to get their franchise QB now, and keep trying if need be until they find them.
Brady is lucky he got drafted by Belichick, so he didn’t get treated the same in the NFL as he did at Michigan.

He sat behind Henson because Henson was highly touted and TB wasn’t. Even when he came in and won games the coach had to appease influential alumni by playing the perceived reputation not the really better talent.

Once he fell to the sixth round most coaches in the NFL would’ve had the same reaction. Even when Bledsoe recovered from his injury there was criticism of Belichick for not putting Drew back in the lineup even though Tommy was winning. It’s very likely a lot of other coaches would’ve caved to that pressure.

I was hoping when Bill got fired, Robert would step down and pass it off to Jonathan. Clean slate.
Harvard MBA Jonathan Kraft, apprenticed in the Bain & Company school of vulture capitalism? I expect he will run things with the same philosophy that has turned Boeing into the success story it has become since the McDonnell Douglas merger.

Let’s hope Robert stays healthy and engaged for many more years!

EDITED TO ADD: yes I just posted that I don’t think Robert is as great an owner as the folks fawning over him make him out to be. But I’m sure he has a heart, and I’m not sure Jonathan has any feelings beyond numbers on a ledger. I’d like to be wrong, but I need to see it. Until then I’m not believing he’s another unicorn.

Harvard MBA Jonathan Kraft, apprenticed in the Bain & Company school of vulture capitalism? I expect he will run things with the same philosophy that has turned Boeing into the success story it has become since the McDonnell Douglas merger.

Let’s hope Robert stays healthy and engaged for many more years!

EDITED TO ADD: yes I just posted that I don’t think Robert is as great an owner as the folks fawning over him make him out to be. But I’m sure he has a heart, and I’m not sure Jonathan has any feelings beyond numbers on a ledger. I’d like to be wrong, but I need to see it. Until then I’m not believing he’s another unicorn.
Yeah, I have no idea if RK has any human organs or knows what they are for except talking and relaxing. I have not seen him interact under stressful situations and I don't mean watching a football game from the owner's luxury suite because you have to be there. Myra Kraft was probably the brains and heart of that family as most women are. I wouldn't cross the street for a person with money except Buffett, we'd sit on a street bench and chat over soft-serve ice cream. The rest will tell you who they are and what they are thinking if you listen or care.

Do we really have a great owner? Or do we have a lucky schmuck who hit gold with an incredibly unlikely combination: he hired a failed HC coach and gave him a second shot, and that coach then gave an unheralded rookie QB who almost went undrafted the chance to stick around despite an overcrowded QB room, and that QB / HC combo turned out to be a pair of football GOATs?

I mean, that’s simply an unrealistic scenario. Nothing to make a great owner from.

Meanwhile this great owner has his players rating his team worst in the league on amenities, doesn’t realize family facilities and weight rooms matter to his employees? Thats really great!
Interesting.. I can remember when the Sullivan's owned the team.. as a kid with my uncles, and dad getting frost bite as a child in the 80s rooting for my team. I can also remember when the team was dam near moved to Connecticut! Ty law even said himself he almost brought a house there! So insert the Kraft family in '94.. a local successful businessman.. who was die hard fan himself... just happened to buy the team... 3 years later the team is in the superbowl. Revenue starts to soar, plans get in motion to tear down the awful old stadium. In 02 I can remember when Gillette was built it was a state of art facility in the entire NFL at that time.

Where was the survey in 02, 03, 04, 14, 16,19.. ? coincidences..superbowl years. My theory is the players never really complained becuase we were winning..

Players are sitting on wood benches in locker rooms like the Browns or the Bengals.. anyhow are there things to improve on? absolutely!

The success we had was all tied into the ownership, the coach, and the QB. All had to work collectively in order to have what he sustained for so long.

Kraft has been instrumental in the CBA he's the one who got the CBA ratified in 2011 while his wife was battling cancer.

He's the guy who's helped not only the patriots but the NFL secure tv deals with CBS. He's one of the most in touch, gracious and in tune with the times owners. So I'm just stating my appreciation for him just like I have my appreciation for Bill and TB12.

As fans I believe we are fortunate to Still have a team in Massachusetts.

When we start to win again all the BS talk will cease like it did for the better part of 2 decades. Just my thoughts and opinions as a fan.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back